1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hey please check out our new forum Suggestions and Ideas found in the area "The Bay" - as we love all your ideas and want to collect them in one place, - please use it going forward. :) Thanks already for helping to make Battle Bay an even better experience. Remember: If your idea already exists - simply add your comment or like to an existing one so we avoid duplicates.
    Dismiss Notice

Defender question

Discussion in 'Strategy Discussion' started by Circusham, 19 Jun 2017.

1. CheekyDevilGod

CheekyDevilGod Well-Known Member

Nope, sadly this isn't my setup, I have 0 luck with my shields and perks so haven't been able to get my hands on enough decent defense perks atm.

And yes you are right, 100 defense means -100 dmg from EACH AND EVERY HIT.

Super effective against speeders with carronades cause it takes off dmg out of every shot and carronade does dmg by number of hits.

Also effective against snipers and other weapons that crit, it reduces dmg from the base dmg so the crit dmg is also significantly less.

But good luck getting to 100 defense, I don't think even the top guns managed to pack that much defense on them.

If you managed to get your hands on 100 defense, you'd be pretty badass. Having a lot of defense would be super op, that's why defense perks are so less.

I reckon it'd take you a lot of shields with all perk slots unlocked fitted with epic defense slots to own the game as a defender.

2. SunlightDuck

SunlightDuck Active Member

Krusty Krab Keeper
    Turbo big shield standard shield

3. Scogel

Scogel Member

As a MK 3 defender I ran Basic Cannon, Explosive Cannon, Big Shield, Turbo, and Bandage. Mk 4 I added a standard shield. Mk5 I plan on adding the flare gun. Imo the bandage isn't good unless its a rare lvl 20 at minimum. The higher the better. Put in rudder or grease instead if its not high enough. Explosive cannon is a little weird to get used to to begin with, but once you do it deals a ton of damage. Personally I love the defender(am branching out to enforcer but I don't like it nearly as much as defender who, I'm giving it a little time). But I think that the Defender does need a little love from the Devs. Perhaps changing the way armor works would help.

4. SunlightDuck

Krusty Krab Keeper
    same build as me but with cannon other than blast cannon lol

5. CheekyDevilGod

Armor works exactly the way it SHOULD. Defender merely meeds MORE defence. Like shit loads of it.

6. SunlightDuck

Krusty Krab Keeper
    agreed. needs atleast 100 with no perks by mark 6 imo

7. CheekyDevilGod

The problem with defence is, there are no blue items which give defense, the defence provided by devs by default is poop and defence provided by the perks are equally poop.

8. Rango8

Rango8 Well-Known Member

Says the guy telling everyone to use defense perks instead of hp. Smh

9. CheekyDevilGod

Defense IS AMAZING, IF you can accumulate a decent amount of defence. That's what I said. Please kindly READ before shaking your head.

10. SunlightDuck

Krusty Krab Keeper
    Health perks on shield is WAY better for any class

11. Rango8

Rango8 Well-Known Member

You can't get a decent enough amount though. Even with epic perks. Maybe once you hit mk6 or 7. I'm not there yet so idk. But it's definitely not a good rule of thumb to use defense perks on any ship

12. SunlightDuck

Krusty Krab Keeper
    Exactly

13. SunlightDuck

Krusty Krab Keeper
    Carronade is a rare weapon to see. No point preparing for somethign that barely happens. Missile launcher is the largest actualy concern that this addresses. However, it is not right to set up just against 1 actually used weapon

14. CheekyDevilGod

Look, it's tough to build up defense perks, I know, trust me I've tried and am still trying and I have a long long long way to go.

But each and every point of defense you accumulate adds up and helps. It sucks now but it certainly helps on the long run.

And yes, it'd certainly take till mk6/7 to get any decent amount of defence but I believe it's totally worth it.

And yes, it's a bad idea to build defense on any ship aside from defender, but for defender alone, it can work once you build a decent amount of defense.

The problem is, nobody's currently even trying to build much defense perks, not even many amongst the big guns, so nobody knows how much defence helps.

And trust me, with all the carronade perks that swift gives, every speeder in the higher levels will have atleast one carronade that can annoy the hp out of you.

Although it's still silly to build a ship for one weapon, in the current speeder meta, it helps. Besides, defence isn't useless against all the other weapons, just extra effective against carronades.

15. disorder

disorder Active Member

so you got no defence perk

And now you tried???

seriously...
    epic perk give 9 defence, max with an epic shield is 4 slot, so you can have 36 per shield...amazing...
    so need at least 3 epicshieldT4 for reaching 100 (without captain buff) where each weapon are able to reach nearly 1K.... a def with build full shield exist?? not sure...

16. CheekyDevilGod

I don't have "ENOUGH DECENT DEFENCE PERKS"

Also, you aren't taking into account the defense that defender has on it's own (Which is the highest amongst all the ships, my defender has 28 defence at mk3)

Take into account that while even epic defence perks suck, same can be said about hp perks (How much does epic perk add? 100hp?).

And while defense SEEMS like a waste on paper, it really does add up and make a difference (But I agree, we need a serious buff with defense).

Also, I already mentioned that building defense is ONLY a good idea if you plan to stay in front, push, tank, take hits like a bish.

If you are playing a back end long range defender or plan on using turbos, rudders, gear lubes and bandages, then might as well use hp perks.

Defense perks are only useful to ships that get hit a LOT. If you are gonna defend with tons of hp perks, people won't even try to hit you cause of the huge ass hp you have.

They'll ignore you and save sinking you at the end and focus on the lower hp ships like speeders or fixers instead.

17. CheekyDevilGod

I'm not saying "ONLY PLAY WITH DEFENCE PERKS"

I'm saying, either get full shields with defence perks, or get a rudder, turbo, gear lube, bandage and big shield with hp perks.

But whatever you do, don't waste your time building all shields with hp perks.

18. SunlightDuck

Krusty Krab Keeper
    um... the classic build of defender is standard shild, big shield, rudder, bandage, and turbo... and for defender hp perks is ALWAYS the way to go on shileds... defence perks are complete trash, even for defender. Also, few people use hp perks on any of the otehr blue slots...

19. SunlightDuck

Krusty Krab Keeper
    rare perk is 100...

20. SunlightDuck

Krusty Krab Keeper
    600 hp per shield vs 36 defence... doesn't even compare. Hp is a lot better