1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hey please check out our new forum Suggestions and Ideas found in the area "The Bay" - as we love all your ideas and want to collect them in one place, - please use it going forward. :) Thanks already for helping to make Battle Bay an even better experience. Remember: If your idea already exists - simply add your comment or like to an existing one so we avoid duplicates.
    Dismiss Notice

Capture! Negative!

Discussion in 'Strategy Discussion' started by GoreSnorkle, 27 Dec 2017.

1. GoreSnorkle

GoreSnorkle Active Member

Okay...

I’m not one to tell people how to play their own game, but this practice drives me cray cray. Every time my team rushes the capture zone, I instantly know that we are going to lose. And I’m right a lot more than I’m wrong.
    The map makers have done an amazing job at building levels to fight in. Sure, some of them reward you for rocking three mortars, (crash and burn, anyone?) and others are a little over-busy and confusing (see Wayward Pains, for example) but they are one and all geared towards forcing you to encounter the unfriends soonest. You never have to wait or wonder where they are, unless you went North in Chill Zone and they went South.
    And in every single map, the capture point is designed to be a meat grinder. ITS A TRAP, you silly Akbars! There is a reason why the “Dreaded Barrel Fish” is not an apex predator. The world does not fear a sitting duck, nor should they. So please stop spamming capture! Capture! And leading your team to certain doom!
    YES it can be done. Just last week, I won one and lost two by capture. But those are the exceptions, not the rule! It takes MANY things to go perfectly before you can successfully capture a level, and the usual result is surrounded and carved to pieces. Then the first person dies, the noose tightens, and the squad is shattered. People fleeing in every direction, or trying to duel a tank in the middle of the friggin Battle of Midway. And after my inevitable demise, I shift around to find Johnny Capture still alive because he is hiding somewhere surrounded by six or seven mines. Even over the internet I can feel him giggling to himself, picturing how many people he is going to lead to their death... except instead they dont enter his little Fortress of Solitude. They just shoot him in the face and take the easy win. The. Easy. Win.

It’s a trap!

Cyn and ThatOnion like this.
  2. ThatOnion

ThatOnion Well-Known Member

Gamer
    I hate playing as speeder and going to the capture zone to draw the enemies attention, only to have the whole team try to capture, and then getting blown up by a bigtorp

3. GoreSnorkle

Speeders have a hard job... a lot of glory boys play speeders thinking they are Batman.

The most effective ones will sometimes pick the highest infamy shooter or tank and spam “Follow ShooterrMan!” Or something to make it clear that they are not to be followed (except maybe by a sneaky enforcer)

You just have to be careful not to leave a weak front line, and you are free to cause havoc.

TheAntiSnipe likes this.
  4. The Otherguy

The Otherguy Well-Known Member

Tech support
    Capture is only effective for drawing out speeders.
    I do like going to capture in damage depot, if I'm using napalm, torpedoes, mines, or mortars.

5. TheAntiSnipe

TheAntiSnipe Moon's haunted

I hate the people who spam capture knowing that there's no map control teammates with them. I mean, come on. The capture point is a green beacon telling enemies where you are, that's already like a "I'm here, hit me!" sign. Don't run capture in chillzone if there's yellow boats in the enemy team. Also don't run capture unless you're effective at commanding teams. The capturer has to be the team leader. Sure, it's a good bait. But unless you AND your teammates can hold it well, there's no way you're winning. That said, I play good capture command. Mind you, I don't go to capture FOR the purpose of capturing. I do it when I have to divide an enemy team. You guys know that Damage Deopt is the best place to lay down an ambush at the capture point, right? Tell your teammates to hold position near the buses and move in. You provide vision, and when an enemy gets in close trying to stop you, HE IS IN THE wrong place to retaliate since your snipers can see(and shoot) him. I usually do it to mk6 shooters who think they're fast enough and end up being stragglers in the reverse fashion(their speed causes them to separate), and though this is in Ace 3-Ace 2, I think most people will be able to pull it off.

The Afenogaster and The Otherguy like this.
  6. Snapshot

Snapshot Well-Known Member

I think the problem here is that a capture is possible but it requires some teamwork... teamwork that I seldom see in my infamy levels. I think you need two people IN the capture zone and 3 blockers able and willing to block (as opposed to standoff battles with mortars). When 4 people go float in the green circle and 1 wanders about the map it's a recipe for failure.

7. GoreSnorkle

Like i said, it can be done... but it;s not a winning strategy right off the start. If the situation develops, the good players know how to capitalize... but with at least 3 random people on your team, organizing them would take a Herculean effort. Maybe AntiSnipe could pull it off, but I know i never will lol.

Stay flexible. Be a creature of opportunity. Don’t over commit. Use your team.

And always keep a torpedo in the water. That’s how good things happen.

8. Eeyore

Eeyore Well-Known Member

I always say “Caputure negative” in two situations:

Map requires that I should be at some position that I will certainly hit my torpedoes, since most of the capture zones are surrounded by obstacles, so I can’t hit a torpedo through it.

Enemy team has fire bomb or mortars. It’s easy to cancel capture by simply doing any damage with them.

But believe me, most of the team mates ignore that and rush to capture. Conclusion:
    Most of the time I’m left alone in the front - which is the place that I can clearly aim my torpedoes. I die easily coz I’m an easy target since I’m Alone vs 5. Team doesn’t capture and match is loss.

Even though I go with team mates to capture, I can’t clearly aim. And when I do - guess what ? - someone just rush in front of my torpedo and I get them all wasted.

Last edited: 28 Dec 2017
    The Afenogaster and Uerguy like this.
  9. GoreSnorkle

Yes, people blocking my torpedos... no bueno

Even worse is when you side step one, and one of your mates jumps up and catches it for you

10. envylife

envylife Well-Known Member

Capture can work fine if you have the right team, the right map, and the right execution. Today I won in Chill zone, two speeders ran over there, and the rest of the team kept the unfriendlies busy and it was over before anyone realized it. I won one yesterday in Damage Depot which is another good capture map... good fixer with strong weapons will control that area fairly well, largely because you can't spam mortars in there. In both cases the call was made and most of the rest of the team went all in. Wayward Pains is perhaps the only other one to consider, but the rest of the maps have useless capture areas in the center that may as well be removed. In fact I can't remember seeing a capture in any other map than the 3 above.

But mostly I agree, triggering a capture area is commonly just a lure... if it doesn't work out prepare to break and battle... no real drawbacks to triggering it.

TheAntiSnipe likes this.
  11. GoreSnorkle

On every single map it is designed to be a killing field. I’d call that a major drawback

That is the point I was trying too make. People will cluster in other confined areas as well like inside the tubes... and wonder why they lose inside of a minute.

12. envylife

envylife Well-Known Member

The 3 I mentioned have capture areas that can be effectively contained by the capturing team... the rest are impossible because they are too open. It's a big difference.

13. TheAntiSnipe

TheAntiSnipe Moon's haunted

Being open makes the map point susceptibe to HEAVY shelling and sniper fire. Most shooters will just rain hell down on you if they gain positioning. Of course, unless youre flushing a single target out, capture on CnB, Foundry, CA or D9 is stupid.

Capture on WP is bad if you have a mortar-heavy team and the enemy team is torps. Chillzone is bad if you have 0 speeders. DD is bad if the enemy team is enfo-heavy.

Like I said before, "Capture with discretion" is very important. A capture zone can turn into a killcircle in seconds. Imagine three-four sets of tritorps bearing into your team from three directions. Yes, it can happen if you're on DD with the enemy team surrounding all points.

What I mean to say is, don't do it unless you are confident that you and your team can hold it down.
    And this. This is very important. Use capture points as lures. BUT. With discretion.

14. ViscountSniffit

ViscountSniffit Well-Known Member

I’ve won countless games on Wayward Planes by capturing. If there is no speeder on the unfriends team, then it’s a no brainier, and strategically it’s not a bad spot to lurk, regardless.

On Chill Zone I find capturing is often not worth the risk. Though against a fixer with no fixer, it’s sometimes worth it to draw the unfriends out, against two fixers it’s probably the optimal strategy, as it forces them to be aggressive with very limited firepower.

On Damage Depot I will often spam ‘capture’ just because I want my team in that general area. It annoyes the hell out of me when people respond ‘negative’, and then 30 seconds later I see the unfriends have started capturing, and we have to go there anyway, only to find the entrance full of mines.

Babablacksheep and TheAntiSnipe like this.
  15. Babablacksheep

Babablacksheep Well-Known Member

The capture location in wayward,chill zone,drop dead and foundry is very strategic.A non fixer team of yours vs enemy fixer team,just capture in foundry and see the green ticking clock of defeat do its work.Capturing against fixer forces the enemy to stay in put,they cant go away heal themselves and comeback again if atleast 3 ships are capturing because the percentage ticks fast.Very few people realize the importance of capture,hell! even those nighmare players are in denial to even listen of strategic green area.Thanks to bitter steel we had a match in foundry against a fixer team in foundry and he started spamming capture (the game we won by capturing),that i realized the importance of capture.

(ps---there are many things that teammates do that we dont like,but your only chance of winning is supporting those mentally retarded dumb nuts,exploiting a way to get them killed before you first while you keep yourself alive and destroy the enemy)

16. GoreSnorkle

Ugh I hate when one of my team tries to go into the barrel on damage depot... usually just write them off and move on. Don’t even try to rescue them. You can easily get a mortar into that capture zone, or a few torpedoes... dont even have to aim because everyone is clumped together and the walls are tight.

Next time, add a mine or two to the mix, and lure them out haha. They never see it coming. If you all sit back and pound them with guns trust me they will flee that death zone. Whoever is still alive...

Wayward pains is viable only because the map is confusing to me so I get lost easily lol. It’s too busy. But the capture area is one of the only places where you can mortar your ass off.

17. GoreSnorkle

Come on, man... that;s going to offend a lot of people

And yeah Bittersteel probably let you guys hold the line for a while, got the ticker to half and spammed it to get one or two to run the clock up quickly... But I;m not talking to guys like that because they know what they are doing. He would only spam capture when it was the right thing, not every time at the start of the battle.

Ive also heard him say in DD in a video “top infamy guy is leading us to capture... oh well have to stick together guess we will get torn to shreds”
    And then they got torn to shreds.

18. fr4nk1yn

fr4nk1yn Well-Known Member

TL;DR Damage Depot is almost always a capture. It's super easy to defend as an Enforcer. It's a "meat grinder" for unfriends trying to get in if it's defended properly.

BasedCarpen and Babablacksheep like this.
  19. Babablacksheep

26167854_1896831097313916_3555063782399001236_n.jpg
    quite the opposite!i hate when enemy speeder does it
    site 1 to stop capture----Clusters your team heavily,very susceptible to torp and naplam

site 2 to stop capture---its a no brainer that while you are trying to stop capture from there enemy ships will destroy you without appearing in line of sight since speeder is scouting you(indirectly because you are trying to stop guy capturing).

As for the mortar thing you said,capture at very edge on top left/right corner.Very difficult to spam mortar there

20. Babablacksheep

i do understand the guys you are talking about,the point i m trying to get in your consideration is after hearing 1000s of complaints on forums about dumb teammates there has been no change in their population,conversely they rise exponentially every-day.The current things i explained were not to offend you or call you a whiner.i assumed from your comments that you are shooter and i decided to share some of my opinion in order to turn such SITUATIONS in your favour.Well! if it offends you,i will give it rest and let the experience be a teacher of you haha! (Whats your infamy,i never saw you in the bay)