1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hey please check out our new forum Suggestions and Ideas found in the area "The Bay" - as we love all your ideas and want to collect them in one place, - please use it going forward. :) Thanks already for helping to make Battle Bay an even better experience. Remember: If your idea already exists - simply add your comment or like to an existing one so we avoid duplicates.
    Dismiss Notice

Balanced matchmaking ay

Discussion in 'Game Discussion' started by Mamamyers, 15 Nov 2017.

1. Pikachewbacca

Pikachewbacca New Member

seems like it got worse. LOL. welp, imma back away slowly until rovio fixes this shit

2. HÜLK

HÜLK Member

PHP/NGiNX Programmer
    That is REALLY BAD.. it is 5 LEAGUES below ACE-I :mad:

Mamamyers likes this.
  3. Taschenatlas

Taschenatlas New Member

Well, i do not know about the rest of the players, but in my case the problem about the matching is not about against whom i get matcht, but WITH whom. The thing is - one person alone can not win in any case.

4. Taschenatlas

Taschenatlas New Member

How shall i climb up again with team mates like that? Was up around 2000 points.

5. TheAntiSnipe

TheAntiSnipe Moon's haunted

Looks like they are giving the seal clubber treatment to the guys who lost 800+ infamy.

6. Riddlerpaji

Riddlerpaji Active Member

Before the update I made it 3.6k with my puny enfo mk5. Now after the update I dropped down almost 800 now 2.7k ish I always paired with someone who Intentionally die, shooter forget to shoot,fixer forget to fix and defender forget to defend enfo tries to dance in the middle of enemy and die. Only speeder is doing well.

Babablacksheep likes this.
  7. Ultrah

Ultrah Well-Known Member

I’m gonna leave this here because I’m angry. Don’t you have those moments when you KNOW you’re going to loose? :mad: F51E111F-88D0-4CF9-ADB0-B24E7DAF7575.png
    To the next battle.

What's Up Player likes this.
  8. Spinners71

Spinners71 Well-Known Member

What is bothering you specifically?

It might help to know that when people fleet, matchmaking "pulls up" the lower of the two, and weighs them as equal to the higher of the two in the pair.

Here's what I see:

Your team has a 2161 mk5 Shooter, a little low, but remember he was pulled up into this higher caliber match due to fleeting.
    Your team has a 2512 mk4 Enforcer, who is actually good enough to be in this caliber of match by himself (impressive!), but even if his gear would normally put him in weaker matchups, he's also fleeted.
    So you had two potentially weaker teammates (one is arguably not even a liability at all), but it was both due to the matchmaking mechanics of fleeting.

Their team has a 1756 mk6 Defender, pulled up into this match purely based on his mk6 ship level, because this is really far outside his infamy range.
    So they had one potentially weaker teammate (arguably stronger than he looks because his ship is so powerful, which is more heavily weighted in the new matchmaking, so you'll see things like this more often.)

Your team total infamy = 12252
    Their team total infamy = 11889

Your team mk = 4, 5, 5, 5, 6
    Their team mk = 5, 5, 5, 6, 6

But your mk4 has 2512 infamy, and their extra mk6 only has 1756 infamy. Honestly, I'd rather have the mk4 player on my team...

From my objective standpoint, your team appears to have started with the advantage...

So, again, I'm lost... nothing looks like an obvious broken system to me... can you help me understand why you're angry?

FirnenAhead and Babablacksheep like this.
  9. Dvd2812

Dvd2812 Member

Lol, only fixer can understand how annoying torpedo spam is.
    I think he was talking about why their team had so many torpedoes.

10. Spinners71

Ah, that could be it. LOL

Now... if that is the case, I hope he doesn't honestly expect matchmaking to take into account which exact types of weapons are being assigned to either team..........

11. Ultrah

Ultrah Well-Known Member

Not only did my team have an MK4, their team had two MK6s.
    You’d prefer having a lower hp base Enforcer with two weapons than a monster mk6 Defender with tons of hp and three guns?
    And just because he has higher Infamy doesn’t mean he’s necessarily skilled enough to rise all the way up to said Infamy level. People switch ships all the time to get certain quests done.
    oh yeah, and the Big Torpedo spam
    Nobody even made it pass 2.5k damage. And, sheesh, even the Fixers scored higher than the Enforcer!

What's Up Player likes this.
  12. Spinners71

A matchmaking algorithm only considers how to make teams, it cannot predict what will happen once the game starts...
    So, while I can appreciate the frustration of what actually happened in that match (Big Torps and all)... that has nothing to do with matchmaking.

So from a purely matchmaking algorithm perspective, the big difference seems to be that you had a 2500 mk4, and they had a 1700 mk6.
    I'm willing to bet that the 2500 player is actually skilled enough to reach that high, but he probably did it with an mk5+ ship (not the mk4 he used this match).
    And I'm also willing to bet that the 1700 defender hasn't had mk6 for very long (as his items are wildly underpowered for what I'd expect on any mk6).

So, yes, you got a little unlucky with one of your teammates using one of his non-main ships (probably for a quest), but from an algorithm standpoint, the teams appear fairly evenly matched.

I'm curious though.. does the matchmaking algorithm take into account that player's highest ship's mk or the selected ship's mk?

Any algorithm like this is simply Rovio's subjective determination of how to rank completely different players/infamy/ships/weapons against each other for the purposes of finding as close to a fair matchup as possible. There are a TON of variables to consider. Is the algorithm perfect? No, it never will be. Could it be better? Yeah, probably. Is it decent already? Yeah, probably. At least, to me, your screenshot doesn't "prove" any major flaw in my eyes...

I hope this helps...?

13. benguin8

benguin8 Well-Known Member

It seems to me matchmaking should take into account average or total damaged done the match before. On paper what Ultrah showed looked balanced, but the winning team guy did 3x what his 2nd place guy did. How is that possible? Did everyone run into his weapons on purpose?

14. Fiorell

Fiorell Active Member

No, the problem in this match was: 2 Fixers vs a lot of torpedos (and two explosive cannons - just the icing on the cake).
    Such matches can evolve into a fixer's hell: explosions after explosions all around you. In such a case it may be better to NOT stay together.

This happens. Get over it. I don't understand why you blame the matchmaking algorithm for this.

15. Ultrah

Ultrah Well-Known Member

Algorithm shlargorithm, I’m not mad anymore. Once I saw we won THIS game, I realize that sometimes I forget the good things that happen. Like you said, it’s not the perfect algorithm. But hey, it’s just a game.:)
    49E9B582-1042-44F4-B291-671DABC82367.png

16. Spinners71

There is so much more than goes into winning than just damage. What about healing? What about stuns, blocked shots, frustration/distraction by speeders?
    The problem is, if you take damage into account, you need to take those other things into account.
    And then the problem is, how do you compare each of those types of statistics with each other?

Having a SIMPLE matchmaking algorithm is usually the most fair. If you start having to weigh too many variables, you introduce the possibility of being wrong.

The whole point of matchmaking is to make a "fair" match. (Fair meaning each side should have a 50% chance of winning.)
    Infamy is a score that doesn't care about your gear. If you were able to win, you go up. If you weren't able to win, you go down.
    Over a long period of time, if a player wins a LOT, his infamy will be high. If a player loses a LOT, his infamy will be low.
    Both are possible at any ship mk level. This is why you sometimes see a legit high-skill mk4 ship at 2400+. This is also why you sometimes see a legit low-skill mk6 at 1700.
    If, at those levels, they can or cannot find a way to win, then infamy is a reflection of the full combination of all variables towards winning.

And remember, all matchmaking should do is try to fairly create 2 teams so each has a 50% chance of winning.
    If infamy is a reflection of ability to win (in fact it is the single best predictor), then to me, the fairest matchmaking system would ONLY take infamy into account.

Now, as upgrades happen from time to time, that causes a shift in any given player's "ability" to win. All of a sudden, after a big upgrade, their ability to win just shot up!
    But their infamy hasn't changed yet.... (yet being the key word).
    So I see all these screenshots all the time from people upset that they got pair with or against a particular ship.
    It is entirely possible that ship just made an upgrade, and their infamy hasn't settled out yet.
    There is constant fluctuation due to upgrades for millions of players worldwide. Infamy is CONSTANTLY being re-evaluated (through wins and losses) the more players actually play between upgrades.
    An infamy-based matchmaking system needs massive #'s of games to properly do its job, which means it will never be "right" in the current instant.
    But it's also constantly moving the right direction. Just give it time...

Sorry for all the words...
    I guess my main point is, if you want a matchmaking system that provides 50% chance to win for both teams, it must be based on the best predictor of ability to win. Which is not gear! It is Infamy.
    If Infamy is the only input, that is clean, understandable, and actually completely sufficient because it (indirectly) takes into account every other variable in the game (gear, playstyle, experience, communication, etc).
    The instant they add anything ELSE to the algorithm... it becomes impure...
    And now it is no longer providing 50% chance for each team.
    Maybe people will "feel" better about not seeing certain mk-levels in their games...
    But in the long run, a modified (corrupted) matchmaking system is not what I ever wanted to see...

17. Spinners71

Yes exactly! When you understand the matchmaking mechanics, you understand why it might give you the matches it gives you... So then, you're not mad that the 'game-system' is broken... you can only get mad at yourself or your teammates for their performance. I'm so glad you aren't mad. Every game is different, and if you start with ~50% chance to win, anything can happen, and it's an opportunity to learn, improve, and steal a win against great opponents!

18. Djradnad

Djradnad Well-Known Member

I don’t really have a preference between pre-update or post update, but I know some games feel impossible for one team, but it’s supposed to be tougher when you have higher infamy.

There are games that you get more than +24infamy where i think it matches you against players that the algorithm deems difficult for you to win against.

What’s weird is that some games say+24 and the unfriends just steamrolled us worse than the +31 games.

What are the highest and lowest numbers you have seen?

Attached Files:

19. AoiTenshi

AoiTenshi Member

Maybe only me but i think i like more matchmakimg after update

20. TheAntiSnipe

TheAntiSnipe Moon's haunted

I find much better fights nowadays, people with true skills are found more often for me

AoiTenshi likes this.