1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hey please check out our new forum Suggestions and Ideas found in the area "The Bay" - as we love all your ideas and want to collect them in one place, - please use it going forward. :) Thanks already for helping to make Battle Bay an even better experience. Remember: If your idea already exists - simply add your comment or like to an existing one so we avoid duplicates.
    Dismiss Notice

Average amount of epics required for a T4 or T5

Discussion in 'Game Discussion' started by Miathan, 28 Sep 2017.

1. Miathan

Miathan Well-Known Member

*WARNING* mathematics ahead

So, miika posted at some point that the average amount of epics you'd need to obtain from a pool of 35 to get 6 the same ones (which you need for a tier 5 epic), is 72. I decided to do a little calculation. I don't have enough probability background to do it with "clean" mathematics, but I do have enough coding background to simulate it, so that's what I did. I created a script that makes a vector with 35 elements, draws a random integer between 1 and 35 and then adds 1 to the index equal to that random integer. Repeat this until one of the elements of the vector becomes 6, then find out how many iterations it took. Repeat that many times, find the average, and we are done.

Code:
    x = 10000;
    F = zeros(x,1);

for i = 1:x

A = zeros(35,1);

for n = 1:200
            I = randi(35,1);
            A(I) = A(I) + 1;
            M(n) = max(A);
        end

F(i) = find(M==6,1);

end

mean(F)

Results:

On average, you need 73 epics to get 6 copies of some epic, and be able to create your first tier 5
    On average, you need 36 epics to get 4 copies of some epic, and be able to create your first tier 4

Conclusion: @Miika 's 72 was WRONG you need 73!!!!

P.S. Yes, I know I take games too seriously sometimes :p

2. Wishaal

Wishaal Well-Known Member

What?! It's 73 instead of 72?!

Let's burn that witch!:mad:

3. Kitterini

Kitterini Well-Known Member

Worth remembering that your first t5 is just as likely to be Gear Lube as Sniper Cannon :) And that even if you acquire 50 epics pr there is a 22% chance of not seeing a specific epic even once.
    Heck even if you gather 100 epics you have a 5.5% chance of not getting a single Sniper (or whatever your heart desires).

Some amount of guaranteed progress to look forward to would enhance my desire to play (and spend) - Whether that be an option of spending 3000pearls once a month on buying a single duplicate epic or w/e.

Rainbow Warrior and The Otherguy like this.
  4. Miathan

You raise an interesting question, what if you get a Gear Lube and have to wait for your 2nd chance to get 6 of the same? I modified the script:

Code:
    x = 10000;
    F = zeros(x,2);

A = zeros(35,1);

I = randi(35,1);
            A(I) = A(I) + 1;
            M(n) = max(A);

if M(n)==6
                A(I) = 0;
            end
        end

F(i,:) = find(M==6,2);

end

mean(F)

This tells us that the second occasion that 6 epics are achieved is, on average, at 90 epics. So you'd only have to wait for 17 more after your gear lubes.

Note: I did not exclude the fact that in those 17 items could be another 6 gear lubes, so that the second occasion is for the same item as the first, but that chance is of course tiny :)
    Extra note: you are of course right about no guarantees. It is a random system after all, and all we can calculate to get a feeling of how long stuff takes is averages.

5. Stelmo

Stelmo Well-Known Member

It took me exactly 73 epics to get 6 grenades, well done MATLAB;)

6. Evilchicken235

Evilchicken235 Well-Known Member

CSIE Student
    Averaging 7-8 epics a month for active f2p players like me, it’ll take around 10 months average to get my first tier V epic :(

7. Kitterini

I'm at 73 epics aswell. 1 useable epic at T4, Repair Pulse at t2 (bought one of those for 3k pearls), Repair Bolt T1, Repair Box would have been t2 if I had kept them.

Might have scrapped enough Standard Mortars and maybe Triple Torpedo for t5 though.
    ---
    @Miathan Educate me please. Assuming that 4/35 epics acquired are green, how long before my t2 Repair Pulse will reach mk5? :)

8. Stelmo

Stelmo Well-Known Member

I'm pretty sure my next T5 will be tritorps:( haha, that would have made me so happy once.

9. Miathan

Well, since acquiring a specific item from the random draw is only 1/35 chance, you could go hundreds of draws without getting one, so this answer is going to be depressing o_O

I rewrote the code to start with one specific element of the vector at 2, and then check when it reaches 6
    Code:
    x = 100000;
    F = zeros(x,1);

A = zeros(35,1);
        A(1) = 2;
        V = zeros(700,1);

for n = 1:700
            I = randi(35,1);
            A(I) = A(I) + 1;

V(n) = A(1);

end

F(i) = find(V==6,1);

end

mean(F)

This results in a value of 140. That's right, if you're average, you will need another 140 epics to finish that pulse. If you're worse off than average... I'll leave that to your imagination o_O

Last edited: 28 Sep 2017
  10. BasedCarpen

BasedCarpen Well-Known Member

If you're looking for a specific item this math doesn't take into account the probability of getting an epic of any color and getting an epic of a chosen color from pieces.

11. Miathan

It does take into account randomly acquired pieces, since those follow the same distribution, but it does not take into account specific color pieces purchased directly from the shop. I don't think they would make a noticable difference though. The rate at which epic pieces appear in the shop is far too low for that.

12. Kitterini

Cheers! Maybe Ill make it before 2020 then :) thanks

13. Babablacksheep

Babablacksheep Well-Known Member

@Miathan You should probably modify it now! Achievements give 1 specific epic dupe now! (just in case you already had 1st epic)

Edit (I know someone who would be interested)--> @Snapshot

Last edited: 18 Apr 2018
    Rainbow Warrior likes this.
  14. SlayerofSergeants

SlayerofSergeants Well-Known Member

Can you make a script to throw out like 10 random (but constant) integers to account for those standard mortars, gear lubes, carronades, frost blasters, etc... we threw out to make room in inventory? Like throw out all of #'s 6, 9, 13, 18, 21, 26, 32?

15. Miathan

Well, this only works for weapons (and healing items). If we single out weapons: those are 19 out of 35 items, so if I modify the script a bit, it shows that the average amount of random epics needed to be able to create your first T5 epic weapon is 85. Now, if I set the required amount to 5, to account for the 1 obtained from an achievement, the number becomes 63. If I set it to 3 (to make a T4) it becomes 26.

So on average, only 26 randomly drawn epics are required to be able to make your first T4 epic weapon, provided you do the matching achievement for a duplicate.

x = 10000;
    F = zeros(x,1);

A = zeros(35,1);

I = randi(35,1);
    A(I) = A(I) + 1;
    M(n) = max(A(1:19));
    end

F(i) = find(M==5,1);
    G(i) = find(M==3,1);

end

mean(F)
    mean(G)

16. Miathan

That's easy, all I need to know is how many items you consider useless :)

17. Rainbow Warrior

Rainbow Warrior Well-Known Member

Nice thead! I didn't saw the Miika thread you talked, then I never heard about any of it. Thanks for the information :D

Miathan likes this.
  18. rexaroni

rexaroni Member

Really cool thread man...envious of your skillz and creativity.

19. What's Up Player

What's Up Player Well-Known Member

Love this thread. Very nicely done @Miathan ! :)

20. Mad_Bulls_007

Mad_Bulls_007 Well-Known Member

Oh well! That explains why I haven't received a single epic rail gun in 10 months. It's just sad.:(

Babablacksheep likes this.