1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hey please check out our new forum Suggestions and Ideas found in the area "The Bay" - as we love all your ideas and want to collect them in one place, - please use it going forward. :) Thanks already for helping to make Battle Bay an even better experience. Remember: If your idea already exists - simply add your comment or like to an existing one so we avoid duplicates.
    Dismiss Notice

Casual mode damaging the game

Discussion in 'Suggestions & Ideas' started by tr00po, 5 Apr 2019.

1. Cavy

Cavy Well-Known Member

Not if your to arrogant to take other people’s ideas into consideration anyway

2. TheAntiSnipe

TheAntiSnipe Moon's haunted

I'm going to say this once, no personal attacks. Disagree with the ideas, not the person. Don't ruin a perfectly good thread.

I will lock it if further infractions occur.

3. envylife

envylife Well-Known Member

If Matchmaker that puts you in a position to seal club you are no less a seal clubber, just an involuntary one. I see Infamy differences of 3k in ranked, and Gear Score differences 5k+ in Event/Casual. If you roll into a match with 13k GS and you go against someone with 7k GS, that's technically seal clubbing. That's what I don't like about the current matchmaking system. Balancing sum of Infamy or GS side to side doesn't make a competitive match with such huge disparities in power/skill. Sometimes that 5k player on my team with their 13k GS helps, and other times they are the reason I have a couple of <1k scrubs on my team that get destroyed as soon as they enter the battle. May as well turn those matches into a roulette wheel to get it over with faster.

As to ship balancing, we know that Rovio has a ship balancing algorithm, the one they inexplicably removed it, perhaps to increase matchmaking speed, but it resulted in months of player complaints. I think they backed off a bit lately, but it's never been perfect. There was a time months ago, before they trashed the ship balancing algorithm that I pointed out a flaw, as I calculated, where I tracked 60 consecutive battles where odds were drastically increased that whatever boat I would play, I would get more of them on my side than the other. It looked like this:
    • 26.79% equal number of my boat type on both sides
    • 8.93% had more of my boat on other side
    • 62.50% had more of my boat on my side
    • 28.57% had significantly more of my boat on my side
    Can you see the ship balancing flaw? Haha... that was before they broke it further. Common sense doesn't seem to be utilized in this game... they manipulate matches too much and now they are too lenient with participant criteria. Bad matchmaking leads to a fairly poor experience for players... and players have left because of it... causing a bad situation to be worse. Pretending things will get better by removing Casual is a pipe dream.

Su-57 likes this.
  4. benguin8

benguin8 Well-Known Member

Can we please clear up that low infamy for a high captain does not mean seal clubber but rather bad playing or bad RNG or both. The point of being a seal clubber is to defeat weaker opponents and hence WIN matches easily. Having an infamy of 200 does not indicate this. Plus with the system as it is now, high level players with low infamy are not allowed to play new players but are rather stuck in matches with ME, who is trying to get my infamy up. Seal clubbing is much less blatant these days and is usually manipulation of gear score by putting L50 weps on a lower boat etc. I have been at Captain 50 for a long time now but have no where near a full L50 kit out like NML players do, yet I am somehow matched as the same. Go figure.

Maybe there is no fixing of matchmaking. Maybe we just would rather need some sort of a handicap created as the match starts? Maybe in the form of hp? Handicap +200hp would pop up as the match starts? Skill is the only thing that can never be taken into consideration with matchmaking. I see many skill less players with top weapons and vice versa.

Or infamy should be given out as a best out of 3 match? I can see all kinds of problems with this too so it is not a perfect solution.

5. tr00po

tr00po New Member

The reason you are nowhere near full level 50 kit is probably because you've scrapped stuff way too frequently. I am decked out with full level 50 epic with sub 6k battles and captain level 45 and don't spend money on the game. I am strongly for changes in ranked mode but this seems very wrong; grinding out good gear to benefit yourself should not be devalued by handicapping. Gear is the one thing you are personally responsible for and is not influenced by other people. So your lack of gear is completely your fault and your problem.

What is the reason for gearscore being included in ranked matchmaking?

Last edited: 10 Apr 2019
  6. Ash KOT

Ash KOT MVP

Gearscore isnt used in ranked matchmaking algorithm, for the simple reason upgrading gear should give you an advantage over the competition, if every time you upgraded your gear it placed you against others with upgraded gear, then there would be no benefit in upgrading.

Cavy likes this.
  7. Su-57

Su-57 Well-Known Member

Artist
    we need a hybrid version of Casual and Ranked . like these days there are cars using petrol engine and electric both to take advantage of both . we need a mode which is more like a Hybrid of both . i wrote a forum about how its gonna work . then there will be no need for casual but player will play number of battles per day almost same as they play casual .

https://forum.battlebay.net/threads...da-hybrid-version-of-ranked-and-casual.24974/

8. TVNPryde

TVNPryde Well-Known Member

How do you expect matchmaking to do a 10%? A 1k player only play with 900-1100? I am at 3500 and it took me 1-5 minutes to get into a battle now with the matchmaking as is. Matchmaking right now is able to for teams with equal power. You are expecting perfection when you’re part of the problem. The lack of players in ranked make matchmaking what it is now. When players asking for casual mode, it was to practice new ship and weapons, not to hide and make excuses. There is virtually no advantage of casual over ranked. All the excuses are to avoid competitions.

9. TVNPryde

That thread is hilarious. How is 5 infamy per battle get you anywhere? You forgot that there is a 50% win rate here? Most of the reasons to avoid ranked in the forum lately are mind boggling. People avoid ranked due to fear of losing infamy. People who don’t fear losing infamy will play ranked occasionally.

10. envylife

envylife Well-Known Member

I get the impression there aren't enough players in the system even if everyone was in ranked. So at that point it becomes necessary to re-think the system

The whole idea behind the Infamy system is to assign relative rating of player power. If you put a Challenger, Warrior, Master, Ace, and NML player on each side in a match, who's Infamy do you adjust at the end and by how much being that they aren't equals? In a simple system you put equals together and adjust based on winner... In a more complex system you need handicaps applied to each players based on their rating+match performance. I don't buy that equal sum of Infamies on both sides is good enough with players of such a broad range of power and skill... but let's say you do. At the end do you gouge the Infamy of the NML player on the losing team because they couldn't make up for the lack of skill from the Challenger and Warrior participants? Do you give the biggest Infamy bump to Challenger players for surviving against Ace/NML with thousands higher GS? Who's fault is it for losing and who is responsible for winning in that group?

That's what ranked matches look like today. I find it hard to believe it's reasonably accurate to adjust Infamies of players of such disparate ratings in the same match... and that's why I push for ranked matches to force players into a range where those calculations start to make sense. Rovio doesn't want to publish their calculations because they think players would game the system, but in the real world, a good rating system uses publicly available algorithms because it is fair, it is accurate, and thus doesn't need to be hidden.

This is why Casual is better than ranked at this time. While it uses a flawed, but reasonable approximation of ship power and matches those players together regardless of skill and sometimes with wide disparities in GS, at least it's a less frustrating means to work toward Quests with lesser items that doesn't have the side effect of risking a teammate's Infamy for your personal questing. This has been an issue since Guild Quests were introduced, and now it has a real solution with Casual. During Events we grind for Event stuff, during non-Events we grind toward Guild Quests, more efficiently through Casual vs Ranked.

I wish the system was better... but Rovio's lack of advertising and bad policies have not only failed to bring in new players but have driven existing, and sometimes very dedicated players away. Let's stop pretending that Infamy works any longer.

Micro and benguin8 like this.
  11. Micro

Micro Active Member

Thats Occupied
    The NEW Hot topic.

12. Micro

Micro Active Member

Thats Occupied
    I wish theres a new game mode Domination who have the most points win technically. Every kill is equivalent to 1 point. When died having 3 seconds of vulnerability. Ahha terrible idea

13. Micro

Micro Active Member

Thats Occupied
    theres a solution do u know angry bird 2 guys? there is an event that you need to play and to get a high score on the leader board so i was thinking that this would changed the ranked on every single damage u deal to the enemy times X by the level of the chosen weapon that dealed damage to the enemy. so if u had damage your enemy 300 and timesd with the weapon a level 11 it would be 3,300 points and so on. and yet again i dont know what i am doing if u play angry birds 2 u know this.

14. Ser Tomaz

Ser Tomaz Active Member

yea, the devs know it n they still ignore, what can we do...

15. Ogdru_Jahad

Ogdru_Jahad New Member

guys my 2 cents, from a 5 account player:
    i play this game since beta and love it.
    i reached NM with a mk6 boat and half of my gear was rares t4 and t5. then i rapidly climbs to 4300. like in one or 2 days,
    nowdays i have full t5 epics and all original boats lvl50 and im at 3530 infamy. why? because , even doing 2 or 3 kills and top dmg of the match i just cant win on ranked.
    my secondary was at 3000 and now is at 2300 for the same reason. im very seasoned and a decent player(of course i can make mistakes, just like everyone)
    i simply dont want and will not play ranked, for the single fact that ranked matchmaking is poor to say the least. fix it and ill return (not for the NM badge it means jack sht to me) but because of the rewards.
    remove casual and im done, just like a bunch of other players.
    think of it: what makes the game great is the player pool. if a great deal of it just quit(and my friends list is full of them already) you will be stucked with the same old every day, every battle.
    doesnt sound very fun does it?
    again not ment to be against any body, just my thoughts.
    PEACE

Last edited: 12 Apr 2019
    Su-57, TheAntiSnipe and envylife like this.
  16. TVNPryde

I played since global launch and went up to 4500. I am dangling around 3500 now like you are too. My thoughts on why it’s so hard to climb infamy now is the infamy in the pool are not adequate for the players available. To compound to that is we are losing infamy in the long run with 50% win rate. I often added up the +/- of infamy in my previous 20-30 battles and we are losing infamy from the pool. Those whose still playing ranked can add up the total infamy in your previous battles and you can see this. I’ve been doing this for weeks.

The dying players based make playing ranked nightmarish at time. Waiting few minutes for battles is killing the desire to be competitive. Fixing ranked is not going to be one change and done. Rovio needs to do something. Anything is better than what they’re doing now - which is nothing.

TheAntiSnipe and envylife like this.
  17. TheAntiSnipe

TheAntiSnipe Moon's haunted

As a current 4259 infamy player, I like the idea of bringing more players into Ranked. But I do like to gain like a hundred infamy and chill with Casual as well, so don't kill casual please.

18. Su-57

Su-57 Well-Known Member

Artist
    5 number is not a final number its just a example , its up to devs to think about number . and this game have slow progression in everything . to climb infamy one also need good items and good items don't just happened in 4 battles . but 100 infamy can be possible in 4 battles .
    some players have to wait long to received enough copies of items to built setup and also need to grind resources to build them and to do training . training also take time . so game progress is slow by default . what i have suggested is a hybrid version of casual and ranked which will work side by side with your item and boat progress . now players are playing casual to grind resources they play a lot some play 60-80 battles per day but one can't play 60-80 ranked battles per day , mostly people play few battles gain 100-200 infamy then stop thats like 10-15 battles . in hybrid version players will play more battles per day and it will give them almost same amount of progress in infamy . and i also mentioned to balance it devs can reduce infamy need to reach per league .

main motive of the suggestion is to bring more players to the ranked .

Last edited: 13 Apr 2019