1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hey please check out our new forum Suggestions and Ideas found in the area "The Bay" - as we love all your ideas and want to collect them in one place, - please use it going forward. :) Thanks already for helping to make Battle Bay an even better experience. Remember: If your idea already exists - simply add your comment or like to an existing one so we avoid duplicates.
    Dismiss Notice

Your opinion the current state of speeder.

Discussion in 'Game Discussion' started by Blitz, 15 Sep 2018.

Tags:
  1. xArrogance

xArrogance Well-Known Member

It should be 1.2 without OB (if I caught all of the speed bonuses) ..

After seeing how the random way burn damage is calculated, who knows ..

But, my best guess is:
    0.83+(0.83×(0.45+1.344)) = 2.32 with max epic OB

YerJokinArnYer likes this.
  2. TheAntiSnipe

TheAntiSnipe Moon's haunted

That's pretty good! We do need radical changes in the way speeder is played. However, the one issue I have is that bdziryan(God I hope I spelled his name right) is an endgame player. It's tough for most players to simply ditch turbo and follow in his footsteps.
    I'll try, however. I've got enough OB dupes for a t4 epic. The bandage/big shield, I'll have to build.

I also have a legendary grenade and two dupes for the epic one already:p next double-grenadier?

Nikkie!, ShipCrusherCz and PastelPiku like this.
  3. Flint

Flint Well-Known Member

The Speeder was not OP, hence so many Speeders got killed in 5 seconds after the battle started. You needed skill and determination. But I don't like it much either, although the Enforcer is much worse to play now. Yesterday a lot of people complaint in the Chill, but they get mocked by 1 or 2 who do like the new agility.

It is sad that the Devs did not listen to us and made a slider, so everyone can adjust the agility to their liking. For me it would have been much less, than what other players want or can handle.

Regards,
    Flint

Last edited: 16 Sep 2018
  4. SupremeCalamitas

SupremeCalamitas Well-Known Member

I don't think it's your business
    Yeah, maybe matchmaking could also be affected by the slider, that way it isn't crazy with different-agility battles

5. StrictSalmon307

StrictSalmon307 Well-Known Member

Professional student
    I think speeder is better than before now.
    I had given up on speeder, and only used it for events before. But after the update, I can actually win a lot more games in ranked mode.

YerJokinArnYer likes this.
  6. ●H€ll-Blad€●

●H€ll-Blad€● Active Member

Doctor
    every ship when upgraded to mk7 get decent health plus defence.but apeeder gets merely 150 health.Speeders are the most weak ship now

7. V__

V__ Well-Known Member

Anyone got the feeling that speeder is too slow? Even at 1.74 speed and a nitro equiped, it still takes a while to move from place to place. I mean the name is speeder, why not make it speed capped at 2?

ShipCrusherCz and PastelPiku like this.
  8. ViscountSniffit

ViscountSniffit Well-Known Member

The problem is those kind of builds don’t scale. I can’t just mince into the middle of Fighthouse with my Rare TS, and start wrecking people. It’s not about ‘skill’, my TS would just break instantly, then I’d be stunned for four seconds. That means: no OB, no Nitro, I’d just be pootling along at 1.2 in front of the entire unfriend team. I’d be set on fire, and dead before I could even point my nose back towards our Fixer, as my doomed teammates all cry ‘Negative’ in unison.

If I had a t5 Epic TS, I’d be almost invulnerable at my level. But an OP item is not the same as an OP ship. Without such items, I have to depend on the ships own evasiveness for my survival, and it’s just not worth it.

That’s why Speeders are terrified that Enforcers will get TS nerfed. Enforcer could handle a nerf. Even without any yellow items, it can still dance and dish out plenty of damage. Speeder doesn’t have that kind of ‘built in’ power. Unless you’ve got endgame level TS or OB, it’s extremely difficult to engage other ships without taking more damage than you could possibly dish out.

I feel this kind of ham-fisted appeal to ridicule is beneath you. You have something important to add to this discussion: ships like bdziryan probably don’t need a buff, I’m inclined to agree with you on that.

However, not all Speeders can do what he does, and not necessarily because of ‘lack of skill’. The situation is more nuanced than that, as is the solution.

Last edited: 17 Sep 2018
  9. ViscountSniffit

Just for fun, I decided to give it a go, and push out into the middle like bdziryan did (see how many shots I could land). Lasted all of 30 seconds.

https://replay.battlebay.net/MWDMKHVD#NFGDXGMH

Only one of my teammates spammed ‘Negative’ in the end, but everything else went almost exactly as I anticipated.

10. Killerduck

Killerduck Member

I don’t have an opinion on it but I absolutely hate how people in this game will chase a speeder the whole game well it’s 2v4 vs everyone else or 1v4. I hate that I’m mad over ppl being terrible

11. xArrogance

I'm half asleep so the ADHD is coming on strong ... but I'll try to keep my brain and fingers going at the same speed o_O

Anywho, for one, I was serious. I'm preparing to switch main ships from red/blue to yellow purely for infamy pushing reasons, so I'm a fan of anything that makes them easier to play.

Second, I don't believe the TS is the reason why he's able to be so dominant. If you watch the replay, the TS seemed like more of an afterthought than a main strategy. He was popping out and dropping his grenades every time the cooldown was up - rather than waiting every 20 seconds for a TS.

Third, and the point of bringing the replay up, was to show that the setup is more than viable.

Obviously, if I expose my shooter to an entire team, I'm getting deleted in 2-4 seconds. Even 20k HP defenders get deleted in a matter of seconds when they bull rush a full team.

The difference with the speeder is that it's smaller (harder to hit) and more agile. Even if they get stunned from a TS popping, they can nitro off as soon as the first shot hits them. On top of being smaller and harder to hit, they also have the HP (or repair advantage) with 3 blue items rather than the 2 on a shooter (and I've tried not using a turbo on a shooter ... it's a very, very bad idea).

As far as scaling goes, I've made a number of suggestions (and very long posts) with the goal of progressing weapons and items on a set scale so that they maintain the same power relationship throughout the game. I've also said (many times) how early access to legendary weapons is a bad thing because it creates an imbalance at certain stages of the game (where a T1 legendary is severely overpowered compared to the mid-level rare items ships at that level are running).

However, even if those issues were fixed, it's still not going to change the setup, strategy or success skilled players are able to have with them.

Ignoring the question of which ship is better able to withstand exposing themselves to an entire team ... the fact remains that a speeder can chase me down when I'm at low health, pop me for 4-4.7k damage, and speed off. Even if I'm able to deal the same amount, they're better able to withstand the damage with the extra HPs or bandage repairing ... and I cannot chase them down to finish them off when the tables are reversed. They decide when and how to engage, not me.

So .. short of what I suggested (giving speeders double bubbles or nerfing the other four ships), I don't see any other solution - nuanced or otherwise - that would make the speeder easier to use (until they adapt and level the proper items for this meta anyways).

XQT and ViscountSniffit like this.
  12. TheAntiSnipe

As far as this debate goes, I agree wholeheartedly with you on some points, except for this one. Since you're going to be playing speeder one day soon as you said, I thought it best to correct you before you make the same mistake I did when I got my hands on a mk6.

You get less than 6k HP with a t4 epic big shield on your mk6 speeder. The first shot that hits you is often a part of a salvo, and at higher levels, putting up your TS when a salvo begins is a bad idea. Let me tell you, based off of my experiences with my(really good but not the best) gear:

You spot an entire enemy team. By Murphy's Laws of Combat, they spot you:D
    So, you have five choices as far as movement goes:

1. Make a U turn and flee: Doesn't work in tunnels, and only works when you've just entered.

2. Move ahead, giving them a smaller target: A good option, unless everyone is in a good firing position.

3. Use your TS: By far the WORST option, regardless of how good it looks on paper. If your TS is T5 epic, by all means, proceed. Otherwise, with an enemy team bearing down on you, you're not only making yourself a big target, you're also going to be stunned and unable to dodge for the next three-four shots, NOT JUST ONE. You're not a machine, PLUS you're not going to be 90° to the enemy, it isn't easy to trigger N2O in time, and sometimes using N2O doesn't make a difference because the shot leading in the vertical direction is COMPENSATED, meaning that a target moving dead ahead is auto-compensated.

The reasons for not being 90° to the enemy team are:
    1. Being 90° to your enemies is a rare occurrence when you accidentally walk into them
    2. It makes you a BIG target, and it's unadvisable to do this when the enemies just spotted you.

And THAT kills you. With a near 100% chance. And I say this from experience, bloody experience from about a thousand battles in a mk6 speeder.
    The only time using a TS is a good idea is when you see one opponent, and you see that he has a sniper cannon.

4. Charge them down guns blazing: It's a good way to go, but only if no other option exists.

5. Stay as you are and do some basic movement: Now you are going to be shocked, but THIS right here is what you should do. No yellow, no red slot attributes needed. You have a salvo inbound, all you need to do is analyze what's about to hit you and what's going to douse itself harmlessly into a wave. You need to perform a minimal amount of movement, and get youself to a position where you can escape from, all the while taking minimum damage.

I'm saying all this because these things are not how you see any YouTuber play as. You always see those choreographed glitzy moves, there's only a handful of speeders who really post the serious sort of content.

On that line of thought, watch this gameplay, it cements the point you keep mentioning correctly:

https://replay.battlebay.net/KSTMJPQG#SHRNBCQR

Speeder will almost always decide what the outcome of a combat encounter will be, and that is why we still excel in the clutch.:)

Nikkie! likes this.
  13. ViscountSniffit

I can definitely corroborate that getting stunned is not as easy as one little hit and nitro away to safety, especially when it is from your shield breaking.

What tends to happen is you already have torps and FBs coming at you, as soon as people see you, and then suddenly *Zwoop* you can’t get out the way. So you’ll often get hit and splashed with a **** load of stuff before you get your controls back, and even then, you’re not safe. You can still be frozen/stunned/burning, and in a bad position. Expect to pick up more damage before you manage to limp to cover. If you’ve got more than half your health left, then you got off lightly.

With regards to controlling the encounter. I don’t think that’s quite as wonderful as it sounds either. You can choose when to fight, but no matter when you choose, you’ll probably be outgunned. It’s like trying to have a fist fight with a much bigger guy. You can bob and weave and run around all you want, but you can’t win unless you go in for an attack, and of course, that’s when he gets you.

14. Agile Vanguard

Agile Vanguard Well-Known Member

Random Battle Bay player and tuber.
    Unfortunately, I'm having a drop of 1200 to 600. My win ratio is about 1:3 and I'm still dropping.

Nikkie! likes this.
  15. TheAntiSnipe

Except for one thing. You have a choice of when to engage. Viscount, you need to understand that it's not the simple attack-defend cycle that really defines speeder. Battle Bay looks like a 1v1 to a lot of speeders, even some of the best speeders in the game get tunnel vision. One only has to zoom out to really understand what the speeder is supposed to do.

It's going to be that very lightweight guy in a crew of heavies, and while the heavies on his team come over to dish out some damage, this lightweight guy sneaks in, opens the back door, calls out, "Hey, yo, noobs! Come and get me!" And runs away. But he only decides to enter when he sees an enemy heavyweight limping back after a fight, and then he strikes hard, when he's least expected, and where he's least expected.

Though this practice tends to fail many times, if one decides to learn the subtleties of the kite and bait, and how to erase one's presence even when they're visible on radar, they are greatly rewarded.

The only problem is that the prey learns as well;) But as it stands, the prey is dumbed by the gifts of agility they have been given:D So you can, at least in the short run, greatly profit from what used to be mid-game tactics.

Nikkie! likes this.
  16. Flint

Flint Well-Known Member

How come, is it due to the new agility?

17. Agile Vanguard

I started dropping long before the agility update, but it's one of the reasons.

18. Agile Vanguard

LMAO

19. Agile Vanguard

I'm a mk4 in warrior... Lol I better climb up.

SupremeCalamitas, you have inspired me to start playing speeder again.

20. xArrogance

Screenshot_20180917-041102_Battle Bay.jpg

So .. Speeder is my favorite ship to play .. My gear isn't good enough to play at 4800+ with it yet .. but I'm not a complete novice with it.

We obviously have very different styles. I generally have a pretty good idea of where everyone is on the map - a skill I had to learn in order to play shooter well - so I'm rarely in the situation you described above.

I'm also rarely jetting around the map. I get to the flanking position I like, do my damage, and retreat to cover -- or do a driveby bombing (if there's cover on the other side of my victim or if they're within kill range).

Anywho, that's part of the reason dropping the turbo appealed to me .. it suits my speeder play style. Even if I'm tagged with a crit sniper or rail shot, it takes 15-20 seconds to fully recover with dual bandages.

I guess I should also mention that some maps are better or worse and certain areas on each map are good or bad for this particular playstyle, but that's the same with any ship/playstyle .. a fire bomb/mortar shooter wants an open ceiling, an enfo wants a covered ceiling, a rail/sniper user wants every map to look like midfight movies, a grenediar wants massive waves, and so on. You stick to the areas where you do well as often as possible.

TheAntiSnipe likes this.