1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hey please check out our new forum Suggestions and Ideas found in the area "The Bay" - as we love all your ideas and want to collect them in one place, - please use it going forward. :) Thanks already for helping to make Battle Bay an even better experience. Remember: If your idea already exists - simply add your comment or like to an existing one so we avoid duplicates.
    Dismiss Notice

The Need To Feel We’re Getting Better

Discussion in 'Suggestions & Ideas' started by YerJokinArnYer, 15 Aug 2018.

1. YerJokinArnYer

YerJokinArnYer MVP

I am by no means trying to insult anyone’s intelligence by teaching people what the word improvement means.
    My post is about how players who feel they are ‘running to stand still’ in terms of infamy, can still feel they are improving.

2. Jamel H.

Jamel H. Active Member

Thanks for the input but I already do those things and I consistantly review my game play and watch the game play of others. Those tips come across as pointers for noobs, but good job. Perhaps they will be a source of enlightenment to someone else. I've been reading this forum for quite a while now.

3. Cricketmad

Cricketmad Well-Known Member

This is just my 2 cents on the matter but I class my ships improvement as my GS increasing but my gaming improvement is my infamy increase as this is a sign of my improvement against others. Like others said there are lots of ways to do both, get duplicates for GS via luck, events or cash. infamy is done via luck, reviewing games or just picking up on patterns in losses and finding your strengths and sticking to it. i.e my strength is my speeder skills therefore I have learnt I do not need to get top score in order to win I am a much better distraction than shot! So I now spend most of the battle firing torps in general enemies direction whilst speeding everywhere with bubble on and drawing enemy fire. It works but not if the other team have a fixer then I have to suicide on the fixer and I am getting better at the timing of this.

The reason for the above waffle if to show how much you need to look at your game before your infamy can increase and I have only just scratched the surface.

4. benguin8

benguin8 Well-Known Member

One of the most overlooked concepts of the game. In fact, if you go to any of the post complaining about the game, the bottom line is the feeling of progression.

To determine the appropriate rate of progression, the first questions should be "how long is the game?" Or maybe how long should it be? I would like to assume that Rovio knows what they are doing and that they have spent much time on their business plan, so I will talk as the user and not an expert. I am a casual gamer for the most part but can have hardcore bouts, especially with a new game I love. Games like this don't have a final credits or end boss, but if I do not feel like every game puts me closer to completion, people lose interest. I am quite surprised at the slow progression for this game and I think this is the big issue discussed here. I have been playing for over a year, which for one is not a common statement for any game, let alone a mobile app. So maybe Rovio is doing something right. The scale is very exponential which is wearing. To get to Mk2 it took a few days, Mk 3 a week or so. It took me 6 months to get to Mk6 and I am about 5 days from Mk7 which is about 13 months. This is slow but as far as captain levels have been, steady progression. I am getting to the point where I might fear Lv50 is end game and I might lose interest.

Being that I have committed 13 months to a game and see an end of captain level, my gear is far from so. I have yet to complete a level 50 epic as I am waiting for dupes still. I just got my first Legendary a month ago and have unlocked the free legendary from damage and yet I only have enough legendary parts to get ONE weapon it to level 16. So, what now? Am I supposed to wait another year? It is a tall order to ask.

Issue 1 with the game is there are too many currencies. Gold, 4 types of parts, cells, sugar, pieces, dupes, captain level, pearls... so many ways to halt your progress. I have cried out a number of times because one was full but one was empty. SOLUTION is to allow players to exchange them better. Even if it is 2 to 1. Cells is the first start. I have 10k common cells that will never be used.

Issue 2 relates to 1 and is that there is no scale for progression. Many posts here hit on it that I am in Ace league, level 47, and I still get some free common weapons and parts daily. SOLUTION to this is that the offerings in the shop, crates, roulette, and free daily gifts from mom etc, should relate to to the captain level. Scale the progression by increasing the chance to get epic and legendary parts in later levels. The quantity should be appropriate to help progression too. like this: http://puu.sh/BlPwA/aebc16cb7a.png [​IMG] [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Issue 3 also relates to 1. We need more. This again goes to the progression rate. The amount provided for scrapping, earning, or crates is not enough to progress fast enough. It feels like things slow too much. There are a few pockets in the game, where this occurs. I get that leveling requires more parts, but at my level I am trying to level multiple epics, not commons. I am able to level and epic one level every 3 days which is slow considering I have 8 slots to work on. SOLUTION is MOAR! I understand if Rovio fears players will progress too fast and lose interest, but I would rather that happen then players drop for lack of progress. There has to be some happy medium.

Issue 4 is the slight imbalance of weapons to support stuff. I get tons of red pieces, but never any yellow. How can we make it so that I can either choose or prioritize one over the other? I get that there are more weapons that others but in my 13 months playing, I only have one epic overboost. Crazy RNG.

Issue 5 is the imbalance of rarities. The game should start and say, hey are you playing for more than a month? Skip uncommons. BTW commons are pointless. Playing for 6 months? Only focus on epics. And the gap between legendary availability and epics is just crazy. Yes people have T5 legendary weapons but those are not obtainable for the common player, unless I commit 10+years. And even then I bet I wont have a single T5 given the RNG. Good job Rovio, we all want legendaries, but if you dont sprinkle them around a bit more, the gap between free and p2w players will continue to grow.

Issue 6 is VIP. I have been a subscriber for many months now and even still I don't feel like I am progessing at light speed. If anything make the VIP earnings the standard and up the VIP more.

Balance is key. I am not asking for the world, just a little more. I am not a p2w but I am also not a free player. Provide a great deal every so often and continue to reel in and reward loyal players. Keep a free player long enough and likely they will contribute to the game. I flipped over the intro package deal with rare weapons but never again does a deal like that appear. Why not? I found out later that if players did not purchase the intro deal it changed into an epic deal which was even better! but it was never offered to me. Bring things like that back. Everyone has a price point, variety is good to lure those in. The whales will just buy them all.

Just my 2 cents.

This Is Me, Ultrah, *JAWS* and 5 others like this.
  5. envylife

envylife Well-Known Member

It's not Nightmare players abusing the system. It's Rovio resetting infamy which allows these high level NML players to seal club Ace 1 players every couple of weeks. Why it still happens is a mystery, but it's near unanimous amongst players that it's a bad idea to keep doing it as is. See my thread on the topic:
    https://forum.battlebay.net/threads/when-will-the-nightmare-reset-issue-be-addressed.20353/

ShipCrusherCz and Jamel H. like this.
  6. Flint

Flint Well-Known Member

I have the exact same thing, always says I have an unusual load out. A Sniper and Swift Torp or Triple Torp are very unsual on a mk5 Speeder? And I had a battle yesterday with the Unfriends having 2x mk7 Defenders, while we did not have any mk7. Guess who won soooo easily?

And now a battle where we had a combined 6000 Infamy and Unfriends 13000 Infamy.

Regards,
    Flint

Last edited: 21 Sep 2018
    PallabKumarS likes this.
  7. JoshW

JoshW Well-Known Member

The first thing that comes to mind is to remove the loss of infamy and cut the infamy gained in half. For a win +12 infamy and for a loss you stay at your current. Losing hundreds of infamy in a day is disheartening and probably the reason people feel like they are stuck. If you can make it to a certain infamy you should be effective in those battles but in the instances where your infamy gain outpaces your weapons effectiveness you would only stall until your weapons catch up instead of dropping and having to make up that lost ground.

Aether_Zero and *JAWS* like this.
  8. ShipCrusherCz

ShipCrusherCz Well-Known Member

what's worse?
    1. getting stuck at too high infamy due to RNG, without possibility of dropping back to normal level and being stuck with smaller rewards due to your performance
    2. dropping back to your normal infamy after getting too high, yet recieving higher rewards
    I kinda experienced case number 1, it was impossible for me to drop without breaking rules (so I was stuck at infamy too high for my skill/items) due to my teammates carrying me to the win, so I got small rewards because I often died early and did low damage
    dropping hundreds of infamy in one day might be frustrating but it's still imho better than being stuck without any chance of moving up or performing good untill you improve your items (which might be hard)

9. PastelPiku

PastelPiku Well-Known Member

Security
    I think we can kill 2 birds with one stone by basing event rewards on gear score. This encourages stronger loadouts over sealclubbing, and also gives a massive sense of progression as your ship gets stronger.

10. PastelPiku

Security
    YESSSSS I WANT A SELFISH TAG

ShipCrusherCz likes this.
  11. DragonLegend

DragonLegend Well-Known Member

Plain Old DUELIST should do fine for me.

ShipCrusherCz and PastelPiku like this.
  12. envylife

I've been lobbying for this for a long time. I'd like to see a simple moving average applied to Infamy to reduce these single-day multi-hundred point Infamy drops.. I currently whipsaw about 1000 Infamy each season largely due to NML reset, most of that drop is in the first few days of a season. It would make sense to smooth it out so that everyone's Infamy is better reflected, and that would result in more fair matchups.

13. PastelPiku

Security
    Even an average of just the last 10 battles would make a difference, tbh.

14. vis1234567899

vis1234567899 Well-Known Member

The problem is that infamy is stuck. I got to Ace with mk4 enfo. My highest infamy then was 2490. Now, Im a week away from mk6 and Ive never gone past 2600. Infamy is stuck and thats a problem. The NML reset infamy should be changed to relieve pressure on players lower down.

PastelPiku likes this.
  15. envylife

I average 20 battles per day, so while it would be a short term help, it wouldn't improve matchmaking as much as a longer term SMA. I was thinking a 14 day moving average would correlate well with the season... maybe 100 or 200 matches? Does someone's skill change significantly in a week or two? No. Maybe a P2P player can do massive upgrades in that time, but even that edge case will resolve itself in a couple weeks.

I was stuck between 1800 and 2200 for months. It made no sense regularly getting quad-kills and penta-kills, but still not climbing. Sometimes you just wait it out. And then you get past the bump, play in the 3000+ range for months then mysteriously revert back to 2200 for no particular reason. Me and many of my top Guildmates were over 3000 Infamy for as long as I can remember, but lately we all found ourselves in the low 2000's, even after upgrading MK7 in some cases. I had not seen 2200 Infamy since last Spring, but here I am again. I can 3-shot Shooters, and tear down most Defenders 1v1, yet I am now stuck in the insanity that is the mid 2000's of Infamy as an MK6 playing with everyone from Master League MK5's to Ace League MK7's. Progression regression.

vis1234567899 and PastelPiku like this.
  16. Ash KOT

Ash KOT MVP

Having a climb lately.
    Been stuck floating between 2000 and 2400 for MONTHS.
    10 days ago went on a huge losing streak, I was hitting 30k damage 2 star losses when my other 4 friendlies combined were doing less than 15k.
    Infamy dropped all the way to 1900 and I was annoyed as Ace seemed like a long way off again.

However I have since been on a huge winning streak, seeing me climb from 1900 all the way to 2776 and 2nd in my league!

[​IMG]

17. YerJokinArnYer

YerJokinArnYer MVP

I think the player in front of you is a cheat. :p

18. benguin8

benguin8 Well-Known Member

I have the need to feel this thread is getting read! I have concerns over potentially reworking the event rewards. I am cautiously optimistic. Please do not make it harder to get rewards, make it easier! Consensus is that legendary pieces were too easy to get in events. I continue to disagree!

19. envylife

This post is exactly 2 weeks old, illustrating the domino effect of the NML reset, and mirroring my experience these past 10 days. Not coincidentally, 10 days ago was the first full day after the NML reset, I dropped 900 Infamy and regained most of it just yesterday now that the NML players are back in their true Infamy allowing everyone else to also return to where they were before the NML Reset. The cycle will return in 3-4 days.

This is my #1 gripe with Battle Bay, and literally the easiest thing the devs could fix.

ShipCrusherCz likes this.
  20. SupremeCalamitas

SupremeCalamitas Well-Known Member

I don't think it's your business