1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hey please check out our new forum Suggestions and Ideas found in the area "The Bay" - as we love all your ideas and want to collect them in one place, - please use it going forward. :) Thanks already for helping to make Battle Bay an even better experience. Remember: If your idea already exists - simply add your comment or like to an existing one so we avoid duplicates.
    Dismiss Notice

When will the Nightmare Reset issue be addressed?

Discussion in 'Game Discussion' started by envylife, 20 Jun 2018.

1. envylife

envylife Well-Known Member

Where do we stand on eliminating the Nightmare reset, creating a new league for 5k+, etc and so forth? The domino effect is needlessly frustrating for Ace I players.

The whole concept feels like a bandage on top of poor game leveling design... and it feels about time that it gets finally resolved.

2. Joey who

Joey who Well-Known Member

3. k406k

k406k Active Member

Agreed, this is something that should be looked into (and fixed) if it hasn't already been done so

Jamel H. and Rainbow Warrior like this.
  4. Help I Cant Swim

Help I Cant Swim MVP

Throwing my hat in. Removing a limited resource from the game every 2 weeks causes problems.. for example, removing infamy from the NML players dominoes down to lower infamy and forces stronger and stronger players to be pushed lower in infamy, which results in seal-clubbing. Infamy generation only comes from new players fighting bots. When you remove infamy, you are hurting new players.

5. Ultrah

Ultrah Well-Known Member

6. Joey who

Joey who Well-Known Member

PallabKumarS, Ultrah and Shadow Moon! like this.
  7. Rainbow Warrior

Rainbow Warrior Well-Known Member

I agree with you that the reset is a big problem but I think that not having any reset would be even worst, we would have huge infamy gaps between players that wouldn't represent their current skill/ gear/ meta... It'd be like if the Formula 1 pilots carried their distance from one race to another... It'd be even more boring than F1 already is :p

8. Help I Cant Swim

Help I Cant Swim MVP

How do you come to that conclusion?

9. Rainbow Warrior

Because you would be able to build a big advantage once the meta is favouring you (Like Peelah did with his double frost, double mortar spam stuff or when devs buffed the enforcers and nerfed speeders)
    I can't imagine in what infamy Orpheus would be if we didn't have any reset :eek::eek::eek:

StrictSalmon307 likes this.
  10. Help I Cant Swim

Help I Cant Swim MVP

And what is the issue with that?

To add to this... there is no innate issue with letting players increase their infamy endlessly. As their infamy goes up, the strength of their opponent goes up. So they have less and less advantage. But... if the meta shifts and their setup is not as good, then they lose infamy. That is how it should be.

All players would also be able to find their true, equilibrium infamy. Not the compressed infamy equilibrium we are seeing now. For example, every 2 weeks AM is back at 4k infamy. He isn't a heavy infamy-climber, so he stays dangerously close to 4k every season. Do you really think that infamy actually represents his skill/gear? I don't. I think if you stopped resetting him every 2 weeks, he'd climb to a much higher infamy.

You would have to restructure leagues to be percentile/ranking based. You'd also need to rewards players better for climbing infamy, as right now there's really no reason. And you'd have to remove the silly seal-clubbing rule.

Last edited: 20 Jun 2018
  11. Rainbow Warrior

Lack of competitiveness?

SlayerofSergeants likes this.
  12. Help I Cant Swim

Help I Cant Swim MVP

How? This would make it MORE competitive.

13. Rainbow Warrior

How so? If somebody starts with 2k infamy points ahead of you and both of you have similar items/ skills/ time to play why would you even try to reach him/ her?

SlayerofSergeants likes this.
  14. Help I Cant Swim

Help I Cant Swim MVP

For better rewards. That is part of the puzzle. You have to give better incentives to increasing your infamy. Right now there is no point once you are in NML.

15. Shadow Moon!

Shadow Moon! Well-Known Member

Keep the highest constant like when you hit 6k. It stays 6k no matter what people with 5k will be matched against them. Keep special rewards for reaching landmarks(cosmetics and stuff). I still think league rewards should be more lucrative in order that more people should play the ranked and aim for the highest spot.

16. envylife

envylife Well-Known Member

It goes back to the core question: what does Infamy represent? It is intended to reflect "power," a some combination of ship+items+skill. If a player spends 2 weeks in battles, if they are ending with 5500 infamy, then resetting that to 4000 infamy reverts all the data gathered on the player's "power"... and then Matchmaker(tm) starts to match everyone from 4000-6000 as if they were all the same infamy, which is false.

I don't actually know, but I'm guessing the reason for doing this is because there aren't a lot of players at the 5000+ range, so it brings them all back to 4000 so that Matchmaker(tm) can more easily put matches together. At that point it's just a mechanism to trick Matchmaker(tm) into putting together matches that feel balanced to it, but in reality are not, as the data states. What should be done is to tweak the algorithms used in Matchmaker(tm) to be able to find matches for these high level players without devaluing what infamy means, and in return we will have more fair matches up and down the chain.

At the beginning of the season matches from 3000 and up are affected by this hack until it evens out toward the end of the season, at which point the cycle starts over and all infamies from 2500 and up are questionannable, perhaps more often than not. There has to be a more elegant solution to Matchmaker's algorithmic deficiencies, and I'm just asking for tangible progress toward it.

17. Miathan

Miathan Well-Known Member

This does not happen. I have no idea why people keep saying this. Noone gets pushed further and further down because of the nightmare reset.

18. Help I Cant Swim

Help I Cant Swim MVP

Yes, it does happen. You are removing infamy from the game every 2 weeks. So you steal a little infamy from every player all the way down the ladder. This results in increasingly stronger players at lower infamies... which is a massive part of why this game is so difficult for new players.

If we just looked at one season, removing infamy from 2300 players is not substantial. But once you run that scenario for 30+ seasons, you create a compacting of players down to lower infamies.

19. Rainbow Warrior

I just don't know how having no reset would help with that. Every sport I can think about resets every season. The difference is how long the season lasts.
    If you look at NBA, soccer leagues, NHL, NFL, you'll see that their teams have the same points (0 on those cases) in the season beginning in order to keep the season exciting.

Miathan likes this.
  20. Help I Cant Swim

Help I Cant Swim MVP

That's very different. All sports teams basically start on level playing fields. In Battle Bay, AmericanMarauder and I are not equals every 2 weeks when we are both 4k infamy. That model simply doesn't apply.