1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hey please check out our new forum Suggestions and Ideas found in the area "The Bay" - as we love all your ideas and want to collect them in one place, - please use it going forward. :) Thanks already for helping to make Battle Bay an even better experience. Remember: If your idea already exists - simply add your comment or like to an existing one so we avoid duplicates.
    Dismiss Notice

It’s unfair for the speeder player!!

Discussion in 'Strategy Discussion' started by NiPo_O, 4 Oct 2017.

1. Asigossi

Asigossi Member

My thoughts exactly. I play speeder and I have no problems 1v1 with a defender or a shooter. Sometimes I win, sometimes I lose, but when I lose, it's usually because I made a mistake.

_devill likes this.
  2. TheAntiSnipe

TheAntiSnipe Moon's haunted

As said before, speeders need:
    1. Speed.
    2. Handling.
    3. More powerful weapons than are required for a shooter at the same infamy.
    4. Swagger. This is THE most important ingredient. If you ARE complaining right now, you are in need of the last. If you do have swagger, opponents fear you. And miss shots. And if you ARE in a 1v1, get swagger!

The Otherguy and _devill like this.
  3. _devill

_devill Well-Known Member

Might add a point here that speeders need situational awareness more than any other ship (except maybe fixers). You have to keep an eye on the map, enemy, torps, mines and your team. A lot of input right?
    When I see the pro speeders of the bay on YouTube, their situational awareness is crazy accurate. They just know from experience when to help and where to help or when to attack and who to attack.
    Plus it's also good for a speeder to keep track of the weapons other ships are shooting (battle results). It's super hard to do it accurately and actually remember all the details but even a vague idea is better then no idea. ;)

4. TheAntiSnipe

Hey that last thing? I have a creepy memory for player names that extends beyond a single battle. Mostly because of the fact that I'm a duelist speeder.

_devill likes this.
  5. _devill

Hahahaaaa..... I have a few players marked down though I don't find them in a lot of battles. They bugged me a lot when I was mk4. It helped a lot knowing which ones were not good for 1v1 (super OP weapons).
    I recently had a battle with basedcarpen on unfriends and I realised that too late. I know he uses mortars and avoids 1v1, at least with a speeder. He forced a draw singlehandedly with a shooter and fixer still alive on my team. He is crazy accurate with those mortars. :D

TheAntiSnipe likes this.
  6. Asigossi

Asigossi Member

Well said.
    As a speeder, you really need to know when to engage and when not to. At higher infamy levels, patience is key.
    There are so many speeders at lower levels that boost / nitro right off the bat and get blown to bits in the first 30 seconds. I find it's those people that whine about speeders needing help.
    Stick with your team mates and go with the flow. Assist your shooters with whoever they're targeting. If targets are out of range and it's too risky to move in, sit back and protect your fixer (if need be) until you see an opening to engage.
    Playing a speeder, you basically need to have an opportunist mind set. If you have the mind set of run and gun, you're not going to have a good time playing this game.

_devill likes this.
  7. TheAntiSnipe

I did it! People always saying, "You cannot go toe-to-toe with a mk5 shooter", I have finally done it. [​IMG]
    With this loadout.[​IMG]
    The hunting is good. Speeders are balanced. Ain't nothing wrong with the game. If you wanna duel 1v1, get a rudder. I always say, what's the use of high speed if you cannot control it?

Last edited: 11 Oct 2017
  8. ViscountSniffit

ViscountSniffit Well-Known Member

The problem is, if you can’t get into range, then your team is effectively a man down while they exchange long range fire. If you lose a teammate because of that, then you may never get the opertunity you’re waiting for. You just get a harder game where you’re outnumbered.

I think, ideally, you need to find a balance. I usually try to sneak forward using cover, so I can at least take a few pot shots, while I’m waiting to ‘pounce’.

Sometimes it works perfectly and I’ll land some ‘nice shots’ or maybe a crit. Sometimes I’ll inadvertently draw too much attention and things get a bit hairy. If I hang back then my team ‘may’ create an opportunity for me, but it’s much harder for them without my damage.

Damage and kills are worth 10 times more to your team, if they come early. I see so many people complaining about how they always get ‘top damage’, yet they keep losing “because of teammates”. But when you actually look at thier games, they are the ones making their team lose. They’re hanging back ‘playing safe’, splashing lots of unfriends, evenly, with mortars, and not getting any kills. Half of their damage/kills are inflicted far too late, when they’re already outnumbered.

That’s the dilemma with the speeder. You don’t want to race-in and suicide, but you also don’t want to hang back and be inconsequential. You have to find the sweet spot in between, and that takes skill, good judgement, good teamwork, and often... a little bit of luck too.

9. TheAntiSnipe

Nearly 2000 matches in the cockpit of the speeder, and I still end up getting ambushed sometimes. I guess I still need to learn more?
    #speedersforlife

10. _devill

Strategy. I never rush an opponent without backup. Players with really good skills single themselves out and draw in the speeder cos they know speeders will go 1v1 with shooters any day. I had that done to me. Unfriends abandoned one of the teammates and ran for cover with fixer. The moment I was near that loner he called in backup. :eek:

Honestly bro thanks to the replay rovio has provided for matches I saw how they were working together as team and I was totally suckered by their move. Otherwise i would never have realised what happened and how it happened.:(

I saw the guy say 'together negative' and wandered off. The moment I was withing their range he called 'together yes'. And the entire team rushed me. With my decent dps weapons i could have taken out that shooter but you know what happens with 1v5. Got ambushed and taken out. Smartest strategy I have seen used against me so far. I was impressed. Tbh I had never seen a team work that way and I too have been in 2000+ battles with a speeder.

Learned my lesson the hard way but a lesson learned nevertheless. Now I always go in with backup. I call in the kills before I solo anyone in enemy territory. That way you have assurance that help will be nearby. Don't go in for solo kills without letting your team know what you are up to.

One more anti-speeder strategy. Players go in pairs, one goes forward other follows a little far behind. Once the speeder engages first one, the next one attacks (usually with torps cos they have no area markers). They don't always kill cos they miss a lot:p. But the point is, i learned to keep an eye out for flankers as long as unfriends count is not 1 or when I have heavy backup. An early warning works wonders. Always keep track of where everyone is. Like the time when your weapons are on cool down or you have retreated for some recovery time or as in most cases running circles around your 1v1 victim. :p

Learn from the games you get ambushed from. Watch the replays and figure out a counter strategy for each and every time it happens. :)

Speeders will prevail. Battle on!!!:D

11. TheAntiSnipe

Oh, thanks! A well formed strategy report. What infamy are you at? You seem to be really sharp.

12. _devill

Right now at 2279. Trying to get into ace league. Hopefully. :oops:

Trying to work with different weapons now cos I think having multiple options is good for a speeder. Even got into infamy drops (500+). Started off with a rare standard and EC, then switched EC with big torp and right now working with torp and EC. Had to edit this post cos I think the higher dps you dish out the more chances are you will survive and rise up in infamy.

Last edited: 13 Oct 2017
    vis1234567899 and TheAntiSnipe like this.
  13. The Afenogaster

The Afenogaster Well-Known Member

Bbay player / free time artist.
    Are you talking about me or is it everyone that has that problem! I know a trick that can save a bit of hp but first of all let’s talk abou the situation: red big ship with tier II epics and tier IV rares at least 3 direct fire like cannons with full hp (5100) a bit damaged to 4200, against me, an mk5 speeder with 3500 ho at the beginning of the match, probably reduced because of being focused to 2100 maximum but it can be worse, I have a tier II rare blast cannon and a tier II epic flare, a 9 second stun and a 70% OB and an epic nitro.

I run super fast with a nitro boost in the low wave point against him who blasts his expl cannon but misses because I am hard to hit, then I fire my flare and then my blast cannon doing 800 damage both of the weapons while he pulls out a lucky sniper shot of a freaking k health off of me, at that point I go through him so his turret rotation can’t catch me and I fire again, another 800 damage, I am winning for now but he turns his turret so I stun him for nine seconds, I use my nitro to go trough him again and I turn but he points to me because his turret has turned, I fire the flare and run in circles but he gets me in the tail for 700 damage with explosive cannon and I nitro so I can dodge his sniper, then I blast him for 460 ish damage and I stun him again but this time for 4.5 secs so he is now badly damaged.

Then I flare him and he gets me with sniper again but no crit, I am really hurt and I stun him to don’t let him finish me. while I am going trough him I fire right when I am into his boat so the blast cannon hits but he can’t fire back and he is now at one k Heath so i turn to kill him, I flare him and blast him but he fires again and BooM I’m dead, a super hard task for me was just turning and missing for him but well, the next time I will get the kill , I am sure (perhaps when my blast gets to tier 3 for god sake)

TheAntiSnipe likes this.
  14. The Afenogaster

The only moment when a speeder is really Op but really I mean REALLY OP IS WHEN WE WREAK HAVOC!!! Enemy ships wander off and they don’t know what to do, we are unnoticed or untargeted and we start sinking everyone but in the rest of the cases we are no op unless we are lucky or we are a nightmare player with tier V epics ;)

_devill likes this.
  15. The Afenogaster

I love that you use a rudder , is it good? And I am crying right now because you have a better BC than me and I am 1k infam above you, please give me your duplicate that you have in the inventory

16. TheAntiSnipe

I have two now lol. Would gladly hand over one if Rovio supported giveaways. Also, I use rudder for better control during assassination. I would've used bandage if I got even 1 rare bandage, but no such luck lol. I only ever get gearlube and bigshield. I'm getting good tho.

The Afenogaster likes this.
  17. TheAntiSnipe

Actually, rudder would really help you here, but at the cost of reducing your max health. It's a risk that I play at. As an assassin, if I make a single wrong move, boom, I'm dead. At 1.4k, two good hits finish me, but it's GETTING those hits that is the challenge for most players. Some I know I cannot go toe to toe against, like sniper(India) , Wrecky Shoppy(USA), the fixer, Bone Daddy, man, those guys are NASTY! But the thing is, I know most players in my neighbourhood of infamy, I practically grew with them. If I don't know, well, Bye-Bye me! I basically use my knowledge of other players to predict with almost 100% accuracy what they will do in battle. Bone daddy panics below 1500hp and pulls his duct tape. Best time to mess with him and his heavy blast cannon. Sniper panics when I get too close in his face. Wrecky shoppy has only one -two point damage weapons, so I duel him.

The Afenogaster likes this.
  18. The Afenogaster

I don’t think I’ll never use a rudder because burnice has flaregun option on the rudder talents, but yes, you gain a lot of control an in a 1vs1 it can save you, but I’ve 1vs1 Ed a rudder speeder and he managed to circle me, I went backwards and I hitting him without a miss, and he died because of the hp reduction that’s the main issue when using a rudder

19. TheAntiSnipe

I'm actually working on my flaregun, and it doesn't clash with rudder talents at all! Might wanna consider it, bud. I personally now use blast+flare+stun+rudder. I first flare, then stun, follow up with blast, and rinse and repeat. Gives endless waves of pain to the enemy, plus grills them lol. What I love about it is its antispeeder capability, which is OBSCENE. I mean, speeders with zero defence take 700+ damage in one shot from my blast! It may sound low on paper, but in the 1300s, damn. One hit of that ION cannon and you just made a serious shipwreck of someone.
    Also, bro, you don't run into pro speeders in my league, mostly. They scare easy. Mk4s have just 5 shield points by default, and, when stunned, aint nothin they can do...

20. The Afenogaster

I don’t usually run into pro speeders, if I can say something, I usually am the pro speeder, I know how to control the ship, and I don’t miss that much, it depends on the waves but I hit ez, and the Tesla bolt I am able to hit speeders across the map with movement prediction, a lot of times I get rekt because of my team or because the guy I am going up to has a legendary explosive Cannon lol in the ace you find people with op items for their level