1. Hey please check out our new forum Suggestions and Ideas found in the area "The Bay" - as we love all your ideas and want to collect them in one place, - please use it going forward. :) Thanks already for helping to make Battle Bay an even better experience. Remember: If your idea already exists - simply add your comment or like to an existing one so we avoid duplicates.
    Dismiss Notice

Poll: Broken Matchmaking

Discussion in 'Game Discussion' started by GGodHand, 19 Jul 2017.

?

Does matchmaking need a balance revamp?

1. YES

75 vote(s)
    70.8%
  2. NO

31 vote(s)
    29.2%
  1. Miathan

Miathan Well-Known Member

That is just not true. Any game with MMR based matchmaking has a 50% win rate for everyone in the middle of the ladder. Only those at the bottom of the ladder lose more than they win (because they can't drop down further) and those at the top of the ladder win more than they lose (because they can't climb further). You are rewarded for being a good player by getting a higher place on the ladder.

What you seem to want is that the more skilled someone is, the more that person wins. That's very undesirable for any game, because it means the less skilled people aren't having fun and will likely quit the game.

Edit: I'd like to add that you seem to be approaching this from a selfish point of view. I am skilled, therefore I deserve to win more often. What you seem to miss is that if your team gets a 80% win chance, that automatically means the enemy team gets a 20% win chance. Think about what the game would be like for those players.

2. Mamamyers

Mamamyers Well-Known Member

Loser
    If that was the case i feel like most people would be in the same infamy range if they all have been playing around the same amount of time.

3. TwoHeadedFreak

TwoHeadedFreak Member

Can I fleet up with you please? I still see a lot of suicides, fortunately about half of them are on the other team.
    I cringe when I see a higher mk boat on my team, I just know we're going to lose :(
    As for the anti-infamy tanking measures. It hasn't stopped them, the past 3 days I've had 2 games with players with infamy approx 1400 lower than everyone else - it's just moved them into my games and they keep on tanking. Luckily for me, it's been 50/50 for which team they're on.
    People feel the match making is broken because they go on a huge win streaks and then huge losing streaks. In reality, most loses are because a lack of team work, with limited communication, differences of opinion result in an absolute stomping.
    I realise it's a lot of work, but allowing people to fleet up with a full team would solve a lot of issues with lack of team work and bad match ups of weapons (yes, it happens).

GGodHand likes this.
  4. Kalbs

Kalbs Well-Known Member

And will create a bigger problem. You want a 5 fleet team? Let me present to you top players fleet together and win 90% of their matchup. They would dominate the ladder every season.

New found friend wants to go Nightmare? Boosting will be introduced and abused.

This is all I could think of right now, but allowing 5 fleet is not a good idea.

Golden Shooter, Miathan and @Climax like this.
  5. TwoHeadedFreak

TwoHeadedFreak Member

Adjust the current max infamy gap from 800 down to 4-600 for 5 man teams and make it so the top or top two divisions can't team up with more than 2 or 3. It happens in other moba's

6. Kalbs

Kalbs Well-Known Member

That might work but wouldn't that put individual players at a huge disadvantage vs 5 fleet teams? I mean, at our current matchmaking we have equal chances.

TVNPryde, D3X and Miathan like this.
  7. NAN0NAT3R

NAN0NAT3R Member

Matchmaking is fine as it is. The reason why I lose games is because me or my team was not working togheter like we were supposed to. I don't see floaters anymore and suicidal speeders for me are no longer a thing. I do know some people are idiots and no matter how good you did one game you will lose it. Just move on to the next match and hope for smarter team players on your side and dumb selfish players on the unfriends team.

Miathan likes this.
  8. TwoHeadedFreak

TwoHeadedFreak Member

What another game that I play does is make it so that you have 95-98% chance of matching another team of 5 if you fleet up with a full team. Teams of 4 are not enabled so you never get 4 vs 1 team composition.

9. Kalbs

Kalbs Well-Known Member

Yea that's what I thought too. Fleet vs fleet. Leave the non fleet alone. Win win situation for both.

ThatOnion and TwoHeadedFreak like this.
  10. D3X

D3X Well-Known Member

Agreed. The smart and good players will also not only have strategies for each match, but will have weapon loadouts that compliment each other more than 2 ship fleets. It already exists now, but it'll be much more taken advantage of. The gap between good players and mediocre players and bad players will only increase.

Golden Shooter and Miathan like this.
  11. D3X

D3X Well-Known Member

This is not a good statement and stance to take. Kitterini has some very valid points and often contribute to this forum. Matchmaking is fine as it is. There are probably many other more complex ways to make it better, but the current system as it stands isn't necessarily bad.

12. Gnarlymilk

Gnarlymilk New Member

IMO the only thing broken about matchmaking is the fact a person can drag someone ( fleet ) hundreds of inf. lower than them into a fight. While it normally spells disaster for the lower inf player it also drags down the whole team.. If matchmaking is inf. based how the F can they let this happen??

Most losses are due to a unorganized team / Suicide speeders / players. When I loose to being out played I have no issues, normally walk away thinking dam that was a good team.

ThatOnion likes this.
  13. behumble

behumble Well-Known Member

I just want to say, godhand, that a lot of people have made frustrated posts about matchmaking in the past. A lot of people supported the thread saying matchmaking is broken. However, somewhere along the line, people started to realize it was not. Read the threads i linked below to see what im talking about.

Please read these, they are recent. its a very talked about subject.
    https://forum.battlebay.net/threads/infamous-infamy.9574/page-2#post-31104
    https://forum.battlebay.net/threads...ds-to-be-more-flexible.8851/page-2#post-30116
    https://forum.battlebay.net/threads...-us-to-lose-infamy-like-this.9292/#post-29900
    https://forum.battlebay.net/threads/fair-matches.8142/#post-26587

Jumppanen, Kitterini and Kraptastic like this.
  14. lolawola

lolawola Active Member

why should this be a problem? the fact that even bad players who are often dragging down entire team are being rewarded and are counting on the fact, that no matter how badly they play, there is this "balance" that will ensure they will win no matter what and stay at roughly 50%... because this loophole exists, these bad players refuse to adapt, play together with their team and dont try to learn and get better at the game.

i for one would like to see this game to evolve into a more strategic enviroment, with guildies, more teamwork, main and several backup plans to adapt while fighting, weapon loadouts complimenting each other, etc... right now i see plenty solo warriors, campers, full mortar spammers with tunnel vision problem,etc who just go into battle hoping not to be placed in the "underdog team" and if they are, no big deal, few more loses and surely soon they will be back on the winning streak.

15. curseDDestiny

curseDDestiny Member

Matchmaking is not broken as mentioned by a lot of experienced players above. The only issue is the in game communication system which is very limited in certain aspects. Eg. if I notice a team of mortar spammers I know using my surroundings strategically will ensure I have a better chance to win, however I can't communicate the same to my team mates. Maybe they need to add other options or maybe give The players the option to say something to an individual player.

16. Fiorell

Fiorell Active Member

So, in short, you are just another one of these better players who want to be paired with less skilled players to win more often. In which of the "greatest multiplayer games of all times" do you constantly get match-ups against weaker players? How boring is that?

The awards for better players in 'Battle Bay' are a faster progression in the leagues. And, as long as they progress, a win rate slightly over 50%.

Miathan likes this.
  17. TVNPryde

TVNPryde Well-Known Member

I created a thread awhile back. It's not perfect but I think it's what you're looking for. https://forum.battlebay.net/threads/in-battle-communication-susguestions.7462/

Many people made valid comments on this thread but the OP seem to persist that the matchmaking is broken. There is no better alternative at the moment that doesn't present a bigger problem. Some have pointed out the 4-5 persons fleet will only create more disparities, not to mention the algorithm the server uses to select 5 random players. Also the fleet with player 800 lower infamy is fine. The total team infamy are about even anyway.

18. Kraptastic

Kraptastic Active Member

Sales
    Just think of how much longer it would take to load a game if everyone's stats, weapons, etc. had to be put into the mix. IMO the matchmaking is fine. Best advice I can give to anyone is to read behumbles threads and others of his kind. There is a nice Zen space somewhere out there for everyone.

behumble likes this.
  19. D3X

D3X Well-Known Member

Never said there was anything wrong with it. Just stating the differences.

20. CheekyDevilGod

CheekyDevilGod Well-Known Member

I've said this before

If a performance based system is implemented instead of the win lose infamy system. People would compete with their own teammates to do better dmg, etc instead of competing against the enemy.

Simply doesn't work well, nobody would win and everybody would be trying to outperform their own teammates. Wins and losses would be determined by which teammates screw up more.

No different than the current meta but atleast currently people are trying.

If matchmaking is based on ship level, captain level and gear. Then nobody would have any incentive to upgrade their ships and gears at all.

The most skilled players would remain at mk1 levels with common gears and level 1 captains.

There would be no more master, ace and nightmare leagues, there'd only be leagues based on mk level, gear, etc.

The game will no longer have a necessity for ship and item development and the game will lack more depth.

So there, matchmaking based on gear and ship or performance and skill is a very bad idea.

The current matchmaking system may not be perfect but atleast it tries it's best to keep the game alive.

The op complains about a broken matchmaking system but doesn't put forward any practically feasible ideas.

I know it's kinda douchbaggy of the system to make you play against higher level ships, but think of it in this way, those ships are probably at your level cause the players suck thus making it fair.

Also, you have equal chances of being placed in a team with higher level players. The current matchmaking system of battle bay is highly realistic like life, it's unfair, but equally unfair to all of us thus making it fair, ironically.

SCOOTY PUFF Jr likes this.