1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hey please check out our new forum Suggestions and Ideas found in the area "The Bay" - as we love all your ideas and want to collect them in one place, - please use it going forward. :) Thanks already for helping to make Battle Bay an even better experience. Remember: If your idea already exists - simply add your comment or like to an existing one so we avoid duplicates.
    Dismiss Notice

So... When is Rovio shutting down the Bay?

Discussion in 'Game Discussion' started by KRN Nomad, 19 Nov 2018.

1. KRN Nomad

KRN Nomad Member

What's the point of jumping from one Rovio game to another one, when you already know they are going to ruin it like BB. Rovio is good at making games but sucks at operating & managing them. Maybe they need someone who knows how capitalism & marketing work.

2. envylife

envylife Well-Known Member

I'm pretty sure Battle Bay is no longer being run by the creators of the game...The dev team threw in changes the team had been working on for months before moving on, then a couple junior-mid level product managers, obviously relatively new to the game, purposefully slowed progression to a crawl and jacked up pricesas much as possible for items that cost nothing to distribute.

To be honest this is the most bored I've been of the game since global launch. 6 out of 7 days of the week are now Events which revolve around Ship Pieces, which don't entice me in the least. if I had a choice, I'd rather play pre-4.0 Battle Bay.

3. TheAntiSnipe

TheAntiSnipe Moon's haunted

Well, idk about that, Grim is still the same ol' Grim, and I've talked to SirCornedBeef recently as well. I'd say they're still working on BB. However, I'd also say they're probably overwhelmed rn and need quite some time to solve all the issues. Now, I know that many of us are a mite touchy about all this, but all things considered, May 2018 was not very different from what we're seeing rn.

4. What's Up Player

What's Up Player Well-Known Member

You should have finished the sentence...

... all the issues THEY CREATED.

5. TheAntiSnipe

TheAntiSnipe Moon's haunted

LOLOL

6. Flint

Flint Well-Known Member

The Devs and Grim do a good job, but you are right the marketing people need to go back to school. Increasing prices so much is never a good idea. And giving new players deals which are 8x cheaper than the deals long term players is not fair for their loyal followers.

The marketeers are greedy and don't see that more reasonable prices will boost sales. Worldwide physical shops which sell cheaper items, do well, like Ikea and Walllmart. They sell more items for less and are hugely successful. Whereas shops with more expensive goods are suffering. A 120 year old chain of shops in the Netherlands is struggling, while it was one of the most successful ever, now has loss after loss, because other shops are cheaper. Their margin is smaller, but they sell much more items, so they still come up trumps.

Selling much more items at a lower price is always better than selling a few for a lot. Especially with computer games like this, because there are many more cheaper ones out there which are just as good. I know a handful of people who bought the Interceptor, but I know hundreds who grinded for it. 5 x 50 = 250, if fifty from the hundresd bought one for 10 dollars it would be 500.

This Is Me, Ovidmikel, Jowiee and 2 others like this.
  7. NmE

NmE Member

Ehh st this point if BB dies i won’t be starting any new game from Ravio. Their greed is kind of out of control. It will just taint any new game created

Going to go ahead and file this company with EA. Will avoid at all costs.

8. envylife

I don't know who these strangers are... I see no forum activity from them, and I see no progress on the core issues we've discussed for months... many of which are getting worse. My three keys:

1. You can't you can't have Leagues based on Infamy and endless Events which interfere with Ranked matches, and thus Infamy.
    2. NML Reset makes even less sense post 4.0 than prior, particularly as it relates to #1 above. We have entire threads where the entire player base agrees that this needs to be fixed.
    3. Slowed Progression. Even after all those pre-4.0 Events I'm still a Max Captain Shooter with only two T5E class weapons, so I fail to see how the events rewards required such a nerf. If there was a concern about giving away too much, the answer was always in scaled rewards and if necessary in limiting Event rewards. Ship Pieces as the only reward in Events is lame attempt at extracting money from the player base, and and nearly unobtainable Legendary Perks isn't an incentive when odds are the perk you get isn't a perk you wanted.

And just to leave it here: where are the micro-transactions? Angry Birds made more money than Battle Bay without charging $50-100 for virtual items, and Fortnite makes BB's price gouging look even sillier as a means to profits. What Battle Bay has done well is to not put up a play wall that prior mobile games implemented to extract money, but playing endless hours without tangible progression is not much of a means to an end.

9. Flint

Flint Well-Known Member

ZEUS visit the forum quite often, so he is still here. But I don't see the other Devs here, which is not to say they don't visit of course.

I think we all agree lower prices will boost sales, also for legendary parts or ship pieces. I will draw my wallet again in those cases. But for people who play 15 - 30 battles a day, which are most of us 50 dollars is not what any of us is going to pay for a level 1 ship, but items between 1 to 10 dollars will.

10. envylife

Zeus hasn't posted but once since mid October. I don't call that a presence.

NmE likes this.
  11. Flint

Flint Well-Known Member

But I see him most days, so I guess he is willing to stay up to date with all our ideas, complains, longings, etc. So, I don't see it that negative, although it would be nice if we heard from him once and a while.

Zeus was last seen: Today at 14:42, just like Grim. They both visit the forum, but Miika has been absent for a while.

Last edited: 26 Nov 2018
    TheAntiSnipe likes this.
  12. NmE

NmE Member

Logging on to a game forum you developed and being responsive to those forums are two way different things.

Hell: I logged on Facebook everyday for the last month to let my family know I’m doing well... i mean I didn’t post I just logged on, they get the idea... right?

13. envylife

I did a quick glance at the 42 page "Adjusting The Sails" thread to see how attentive the Devs were to it. If you don't remember, that's where Rovio was asking about what usability features players want to see. Rovio did implement many of these ideas which was great, but when I looked through the first 3 pages this is what I see: 41 unique requests, 4 implemented, and 2 mostly circumvented by other changes. It's not bad, about 10-14% implemented.

To me the vast majority of the requested items are really good ideas, so I still feel the Dev team fell short in that effort. The biggest category was about a dozen requests on inventory management just in the first 3 pages! none of them were implemented. Instead the Devs spent time doing other things that weren't asked for (some good, some bad). At this point it sounds like the team is even smaller so any hopes to knocking out more on the usability list looks fairly dim. Fixing these is exactly the kind of thing that keeps players engaged and, more importantly, comfortable spending money, because they know the Devs are listening and devoted to long term quality.

14. EyeOfDoom

EyeOfDoom Well-Known Member

This is the dumbest management team I have seen in a while. I've seen many p2w games come and go. Their usual strategy is to make a lot of premium content when playerbase is at its peak which makes p2w players feel smug and special in the crowd. Then they drop prices and release that premium content for free through events/achievements etc near the end of the lifecycle to keep f2p crowd engaged and generate last bit of ad revenue. They even drop prices to lure some casual spenders into buying stuff to help that last push.

This team on the other hand goes on a vacation and forgets the game when playerbase is at all time high. Tries to win them back through legendary pieces events and then shoots itself in the foot by raising prices and killing f2p near the end of the lifecycle. I mean... What are you doing?

I'll give you a simple example of this. Legendary items are pretty bad now that everyone has t5 epics. They can easily keep new players coming by offering $20-25 legendary item deal. It's not going to destroy the balance because better weapons already exist in lower leagues. But they still want you to pay $160 for 7 epic containers. 7 random epic items and not even a full legendary item.

Get you head out of ______ , ROVIO. You're not selling gold here. Neither your game is on any top charts nor it's competitive in any way. Why are you so hellbent on killing one thing (events) that's keeping your game alive?

15. Flint

Flint Well-Known Member

True.

16. Flint

Flint Well-Known Member

True also. Most of the team has not logged in here since March. That was the main complaint in a thread about why the Dev should change things, the communication. But it has not improved again, it even got worse. So, I get why people don't have much hope for BB. It feels like most Devs have abandoned ship (no pun intended).

And as I said before good communication is key for people to feel they are taken seriously. But even after many said this, they still have not learned or do not care? I don't get it one bit. If I treated my clients this way, Imwould have none left.

17. Fixer sa Recto

Fixer sa Recto Well-Known Member

18. Agile Vanguard

Agile Vanguard Well-Known Member

Random Battle Bay player and tuber.
    I have a feeling that this thread is going to be needed again after the update.

Jenarall, Reorge and Sidd gamer like this.
  19. Su-57

Su-57 Well-Known Member

Artist
    They are trying to make changes .

20. envylife

Maybe... splitting ship pieces is a tiny step in the right direction. v4.2 was a necessary thing to resolve the problems they created themselves. I'm still not seeing evidence the devs are listening to their player base though... that is an absolute necessity for the longevity of this game