1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hey please check out our new forum Suggestions and Ideas found in the area "The Bay" - as we love all your ideas and want to collect them in one place, - please use it going forward. :) Thanks already for helping to make Battle Bay an even better experience. Remember: If your idea already exists - simply add your comment or like to an existing one so we avoid duplicates.
    Dismiss Notice

Why Would Battle Bay Devs Change The Game?

Discussion in 'Game Discussion' started by YerJokinArnYer, 8 Sep 2018.

1. SeaNavy

SeaNavy Well-Known Member

I have five accounts in total. None of them faced mk6's and 7's in the beginning. 6's started appearing around 800 infamy for my later accounts, except on my main account which was created before there were mk6's way down there. I don't think it's luck lol.

ShipCrusherCz and Ultrah like this.
  2. Fin-

Fin- Active Member

I still waiting equal equipment guild war.
    It's a best content and endless content.

ShipCrusherCz and envylife like this.
  3. Hammer Furrrrryyyyyy

Hammer Furrrrryyyyyy New Member

they also need to make levelling up fast...people dont have patience...u know reaching a mk6 takes around 1.5 years... no one in their sane mind should have this much patience... its just like marriage vs come we stay stuff... its fruitful but takes too long. they would get a whole new amount of impatient players if they reduce this time needed... u get white hair trying to get a mk7...I am still at mk5... and already git arthritis

4. Nicolas

Nicolas Well-Known Member

The majority of Nightmare players are f2p players who spent more than a year (probably 16 months) to build these good weapons.
    On the other hand, a minority of them have enough skills to gain infamy. 50% of Nightmare players spend the season around 3500 infamy.
    I don't remember all streamers from nightmare league, but many of them have high skills. (Like Jumppanen, YSL,.... There is a long list of skilled streamers from nml.)

TheAntiSnipe likes this.
  5. Joey who

Joey who Well-Known Member

If the mks were more evened out with good matchmaking I'm sure lots would have patience. I had no problem being at 2300 back in the day. Usually I'd be finding players my mk level and it was great fun

6. envylife

envylife Well-Known Member

Yea rub it in....my luck has been poor in my 16 months of building weapons. The 3500 Infamy issue is due to the NML reset, so I don't think any Infamy between 3500 and 4500 is actually meaningful. There are definitely highly skilled players, but when they always have high level items, it's hard to know for sure, and it's hard to relate. I'm still waiting for equal-equipment tournaments to help resolve this.

7. xArrogance

xArrogance Well-Known Member

I have all sorts of comments about the wide range of topics in this thread, and I agree with a lot of what was said here .. but I think each issue needs it's own thread so I'll limit my comments to the biggest area of concern IMO.

As a prelude, I think the game is on the right track. The agility update has (for the first time) made player skill more important than item levels (within reason).

But, the game has dramatically changed. And there will be issues. As players become comfortable with the changes, some of these issues will sort themselves out and some will require adjustments to compensate. It's too early to tell what is what at this point.

Otherwise, I love the week-long event. And I'm having a blast using the gatling gun, so I'm fairly content to see how things play out.

8. xArrogance

But, there is one big issue we all know exists now .. and one that should be addressed sooner than later.

Event Rewards
    Events are supposed to be a safe haven for players to get the "fair matches" that they don't see in infamy MM (and I think infamy MM is mostly fine how it is if event MM is fixed). Likewise, there is a natural progression that is being killed by early legendary weapon access.

Any solution should be careful not to take away the ability to experiment and have fun, but you absolutely do not want to encourage players to seal-club - which is the exactly what the current system does, i.e., the best strategy to maximize your coins earned per hour is to lower your gear score and use lower mark ships.

I believe there is also the issue of players (or teams of players on one account) farming events for 16+ hours a day .. Taking advantage of event rewards in this manner will cause a number of issues in the long term.

To solve these issues without taking away the freedom to experiment, I've suggested scaled rewards - but my previous suggestion was probably too difficult to code ... so here's v2.

Step 1: Revise Box Prices
    Item piece boxes: 175 coins
    Perks boxes: 125 coins
    Parts boxes: 75 coins

Perks and parts aren't really an issue, so they should be cheaper to purchase.

Step 2: Add a Mark Multiplier
    Battle coin rewards stay the same, except with a ship mark Multiplier.
    • For example, Mk2s get a ×2 multiplier to their battle coins, e.g., 6 coins × 2 = 12 coins.
    • For Mk7, a ×7 multiplier would be used, e.g., 6 coins × 7 = 42 coins.
    • For VIP subs or those watching an advertisement, an additional +1 would be added to the multiplier.
    This Multiplier should incentivize players to use their highest mark ships for farming battle coins, while still allowing players to experiment with lower tier ships (for lesser rewards).

For Mk1-4s, this will take more matches for the same spending power you have now, but this should slow the legendary weapon progress and should re-incentivize the natural progression of leveling uncommons and rares, prior to switching to T1 legendaries. (I've gone into why too early access of leggy weapons is a bad thing in other threads).

For Mk5-Mk7s, battle coin spending power will remain constant or increase ...

Step 3: Cap Daily Battle Coins
    In order to avoid issues with players (or teams) no-lifing events or unfairness between older/newer players, there should be a cap placed on the number of coins you can earn per event day. After the cap is reached, players can still play for gold/sugar, but would not receive more battle coins until the next event day starts.

I don't have a specific cap number in mind, but a cap of around 1750 Battle Coins per day (or 10 item piece boxes) should be sufficient - with the additional option to purchase Battle Coins.

Last edited: 11 Sep 2018
    Nicolas, Ultrah, benguin8 and 10 others like this.
  9. Spinners71

Spinners71 Well-Known Member

Good description of:
    - the problem
    - your proposed solution
    - the logic behind your proposal
    - and why it solves the original problem

I agree with all of it, at least at a conceptual level.

I think getting from your concept to workable numbers probably needs some revision, but that's just details............. (Rovio will just pick the numbers they want anyway)

The only thing I might change about your suggestion is the daily coin cap. Instead of a complete shut-off, what about just cutting them in half. Like... up to the cap, you earn at a scaled rate like you described. After you reach the cap, that scaled rate is halved. It would have most of the effects you were looking for, without giving anyone a reason to completely stop playing after they reach the cap.

(In the end, your solution as stated is still better than the unlimited grind-fest we have right now, but I think Rovio would really struggle to get behind a complete shut-off cap. I think there's a better chance that they go for my version.)

10. SupremeCalamitas

SupremeCalamitas Well-Known Member

I don't think it's your business
    As for what I think they could have done is added a WHOLE NEW batch of items and ships. Interest would be restarted, there would be a lot more much-needed variety in the game, and it would be more fun in general.

ShipCrusherCz and *JAWS* like this.
  11. envylife

Limiting coin farming doesn't actually fix your stated problem: early access to Legendary items. The better solution is to scale Event Rewards based on level (League and/or Infamy).

Players need more incentive to climb the ladders, and less incentive to sandbag Infamy for better rewards.

ShipCrusherCz and Shadow Moon! like this.
  12. xArrogance

Let's say a Mk2 is earning 6 coins per match on average, and it's 4 minutes per match on average, it'll take roughly 10 hours of play time for each guaranteed legendary item piece (or 100 hours for 10 guaranteed pieces) ... Roughly 5 hours of match time for a Mk4 (or 50 hours for 10 guaranteed pieces) ... Roughly 3 hours for a Mk7 (or 30 hours for 10 guaranteed pieces) ..

So while it doesn't prevent lower mark ships from earning legendary pieces completely, they will receive far fewer than now .. which should return the normal progression of leveling uncommons and rares prior to loading up on T1 legendary items. And, while it would not prevent someone with a Mk7 from using a Mk4 in events, they would receive far fewer battle coins for using their Mk4 (thus removing the coin incentive to seal club).

In my proposed solution, infamy or leagues wouldn't have anything to do with events. Last I heard, infamy isn't used in event MM at all .. and I think it's better to keep it that way (to prevent the encouragement of infamy tanking for easier event matches).

Otherwise, I'm not sure how large of an issue infamy tanking is .. because I don't really see any benefit from tanking (lower match and league rewards) .. but I'm sure some more direct action could be taken to resolve that issue, if need be.

Last edited: 11 Sep 2018
  13. TheAntiSnipe

TheAntiSnipe Moon's haunted

The time needed to get to mk6 is, imho, the sole reason that lower ranked players aren't being harassed CONSTANTLY by all mk6 teams.

ShipCrusherCz likes this.
  14. envylife

Thinking about it more I actually like that solution better than Infamy/League scaled rewards. Not only does it effectively scale progression but it removes most Event Seal Clubbing at the same time! I'm not entirely convinced that rewards themselves shouldn't be scaled, but this is a step in the right direction.

15. fragglelator

fragglelator Active Member

Overall, I believe the changes are good for the longer-term evolution of Battle Bay. The drastic changes to agility & turret may have alienated the current player base at the higher tiers who have invested many hours/days/months of "training" and developing their strategies which have now been overturned, but the faster gameplay and pace does appeal to a wider audience.

After a short adjustment period and tweaking the camera sensitivity (increased to match turret rotation ~ 1.25-1.5), I have more or less adapted to the gameplay. Caveat: I play Shooter, Fixer, Enforcer and Defender in descending order, but have not really tried Speeder to any great extent, so my experiences would be around those 3-4 ships.

BattleBay now plays more like a 3rd person shooter with the snap-around aiming, and the ability to literally spin 360 in a second. Not that different to the 3rd-person shooters I play on PC, so perhaps that's why I didn't (or don't) find any issue adjusting quickly.

There are other more systemic issues that are affecting BattleBay though, and these need to be addressed to retain the new players that come aboard now.
    1. Game economy - too expensive to purchase stuff with real money.
    2. Progression is very slow and takes too long to level up stuff. RNG also does not help here (I have been waiting 8 months to evolve my L10 Epic Big Bertha, just have not been able to get that 2nd dupe, plus others as well). It would be good it the Parts Combine stage could be split into categories (eg cannons, mortars, fire weapons, etc) so that once 10 parts have been accumulated (which in itself takes time), the chances of getting an item would be greater than if it was based on the entire pool.
    3. Matchmaking issues especially in Events.

Anyway, long story short, I will continue to support BattleBay by playing and slowly, very slowly, upgrading my stuff.

Spinners71 likes this.
  16. PastelPiku

PastelPiku Well-Known Member

Security
    I was just thinking it'd reduce infamy swings, those tough battles wouldn't get too much harder too quickly, the rewards themselves don't need to be reduced for low contribution.

ViscountSniffit likes this.
  17. xArrogance

Yeah .. It's basically the same idea as scaled rewards based on ship mark, but I figured it would be easier to code.

The battle results page wouldn't have to change, nor would the 10 coin animation, but your current multiplier could be listed on the "start Event match" screen and the calculation could take place in the background - for multiplying the coins you earned in the match (0-10) by the multiplier (1-8*).

*Multipler = ship mark (1-7) + 1 (for VIP or ad view)

18. xArrogance

I agree that the "specials" at basically full price aren't very tempting .. they might make more if they were discounted for special events - or just start including every random holiday in each country.

And, as far as dupes go .. the best advice I can give you is to use what you're given - at least at first. Once you have 5 (plus the one in the achievement), you can max any item/weapon. They're all good at that level ..

Also, based on the ships you're playing, be on the look out for flare guns.

19. xBonk

xBonk Active Member

Machinist
    I started 2 new accounts
    By the time you get to 800 infamy you battle against all mk5 and mk6's. When your an mk2 you will surely get killed by 1 shot quite often

20. DragonLegend

DragonLegend Well-Known Member

I think Battle Bay is not yet clear on What Kind of Game it wanna be.
    1.Does it wanna be like CR where you get duplicates and upgrade and climb ladder.
    2. Or like CoC where you grind and upgrade with time and gold.
    3. Like Moba where you coordinate with your teammates and destroy.
    4. Or like pubg n fortnite where your skills matters.
    If you notice BB have all of above in some way But do we need all of these in one game?
    BB is also unique in some way that is Its The Ship Based Game... I mean from design to concept.
    Each map is well Made with lots of details.
    Waves Are The Best.
    What I think Battle Bay needs to aim for Best and of its own not coping aspects of other games.
    Peace out Dragon.