1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hey please check out our new forum Suggestions and Ideas found in the area "The Bay" - as we love all your ideas and want to collect them in one place, - please use it going forward. :) Thanks already for helping to make Battle Bay an even better experience. Remember: If your idea already exists - simply add your comment or like to an existing one so we avoid duplicates.
    Dismiss Notice

The name of the game is working together, but why so little do?

Discussion in 'Strategy Discussion' started by Flint, 26 Feb 2018.

1. Flint

Flint Well-Known Member

Hi All,

The purpose of Battle Bay is to working together. That is the fun of this game, but it is also its weakness. Because about 70% of the people does not work together and does not respond to any of the commands in the game. From the first 10-20 seconds of the game I see if we have a chance of winning or not. If you have people who start sailing after 20-30 seconds or just go their own way, then the chances are slim we are going to win. In these instances I have an urge to float, but I don't think they really care. If they did, they would have worked together, start quickly and respond to other players.

Even worse is if you say 'Together' or even when you ask for 'Help' that people or respond with 'Negative'. So, why people like this play BB instead of Patience is beyond me. Maybe we should get a new in game command 'Come on suckers'.

So, why is it so hard to work together?

Regards,
    Flint

2. Ian

Ian Well-Known Member

Student
    At least with speeder, I find going my own way in many situations the best thing to do. Especially as an OB + nitro user. Although, some other boats (shooter, fixer especially) should probably not try to do the same.

FirnenAhead likes this.
  3. Flint

Flint Well-Known Member

You are right, with a Speeder that is fine. Although when one is in trouble it would be nice to get some help.

4. Ian

Ian Well-Known Member

Student
    Yeah and of course I don't do it all the time, and just like going out on your own as speeder there are also situations where helping somebody is the best thing to do :) many times I've saved a low player enough time with tesla shield to be able to take cover and heal up.

Babablacksheep likes this.
  5. Shadow Moon!

Shadow Moon! Well-Known Member

When I do that like stunning a particular player who is pounding my teammate the same player who I was tryna save will break my stun instead of retreating and healing and will die *sigh*. Some shooters never learn.

6. ChickenSurprise

ChickenSurprise Active Member

Healing you up
    Sometimes the team doesn't mould well and other times people are just stubborn, run out and sink.

7. Scourge Argaen

Scourge Argaen Well-Known Member

Unfortunately people may just fancy doing their own thing and not care about being a team, they may just be distracted with trying to get a kill only to then get utterly ruined or be down right stubborn and expect everyone to go their way.

As a fixer, I do my best to stay with the team and expect my team to not stray too far from me as I can't be chasing them. I'll admit that I'm one who would use 'negative' but generally this is for those who spam help and are on the otherside of the map getting chewed up, I'm not willing to risk dying for them clowns when I've got teammates looking after me.

8. BasedCarpen

BasedCarpen Well-Known Member

I don't camp. Never with any boat. So if I'm the only one engaging and the rest of my team wants to hide, take tours around the map or hang out at spawn with a fixer I will get targeted by an entire team and we will probably lose. Learn to engage offensively and move forward.

9. vis1234567899

vis1234567899 Well-Known Member

Well, I go off and scout out any potential enemy areas, when my team see the fixer moving off, they generall follow me, unless another fixer on the team is with them there.

10. Snapshot

Snapshot Well-Known Member

I've given some thought to that and what I think is it's not nearly as easy as it seems. For instance, fast boats really shouldn't be "together" with the slower boats. Next, let's look at the typical battle spam that happens at the beginning of every battle... "Together! Attack!" Both of those are utterly useless statements and I ignore them both. If I'm going to say something at the beginning it is, "Follow <xxxxx>" where the <xxxxx> is the biggest defender or shooter. That message works a lot better because it actually tells people what to do. The same is true of "Attack <xxxxx>" I find a lot of good response to that. Again, I suspect that it's because the command is clear and actionable.

Most of why there's no unity on teams early on is because people don't know how to make that unity happen... or even if it should happen.

11. *JAWS*

*JAWS* Well-Known Member

Agreed...

I don't think together should be called. Except if team members separate for no reason. This is like a 10 percent command.

Much better is the Follow command.
    Follow Jaws. Or Follow Flint
    Etc.
    In those cases the majority of boats should follow.
    Exceptions to this in my book. If, You are great 1vs1 fighter. And can handle going 1vs2. Then go solo.
    And know enough to retreat back to team if needed for health.

If you can't handle this. Then stay with team.
    As for Attack commands.

Yes, call Attack when pressing forward. That's the truth of the command. It means go forward. Called 3 times in a row. Means move with extreme haste.

Attack Capture. Means move with haste to the capture spot.

But Better the the Attack command
    ... is
    DESTROY.... Destroy American Maurader for instance. This tells all 5 friends members who the highest priority target is on unfriends. This is a great command. And should be used at beginning. And also used during battle to call attention to weakened targets.

Jaws

12. Crashedup

Crashedup Well-Known Member

PallabKumarS likes this.
  13. envylife

envylife Well-Known Member

Agreed

I disagree... "Together!" is a general reminder/statement to stay with the team because inevitably 1 or 2 cowboys go off by themselves immediately without saying anything. If they say "Negative" it's their obligation to relay the plan they have, as they are obviously not going to follow anyone else. Going lone cowboy and not issuing commands is the real issue here. Moreover, as much as half the time the lone cowboys are actually suiciding because infamy tanking is rewarding, and in that, rules don't apply and this thread is pointless.

To reiterate, if you are not staying with the team, and you are not a fast boat, it is your obligation to call out what your intentions are. If you don't you will be considered a suicider... it's the only safe bet. I've followed too many of those into trouble trying to provide some backup only to realize their intentions were selfish.

What's Up Player likes this.
  14. Snapshot

I say useless based on long experience. I tune it out now. I also assume whoever is saying it is a noob. I'm right with that way more often than not. I'm not arguing with your point but here's why it's useless. Together where? If someone says, "Follow XXXXX" then I'm going to do that... even in my speeder at least for a bit so they know I'm paying attention. That is such an infinitely superior command because it actually tells people what to do. And I have another concern with "together". Let's assume here that people are not blithering idiots. That means they don't need to be reminded to be together... not past 200 infamy. If they are not together they have no intention of doing so.

The attack part... what does that mean? People are either taking a toke off their bong or not when the match starts. If they aren't AFK then they start doing whatever it is they are going to do. But there's one thing for certain they won't be doing at the very beginning of the battle and that's attacking.

I'm not arguing with the need for coordinated team tactics. I'm just saying those particular battle commands are useless.

Heh, by the way, every single battle I run off by myself without saying a word. I regret there's no way to say, "I'm scouting" but in the end I rely on my team mates not being too stupid to figure out that a speeder snooping around ahead is either scouting or laying an ambush (or, as you say, suiciding).

Da Carronade King likes this.
  15. DragonLegend

DragonLegend Well-Known Member

+1
    I do got a idea for this problem just now. But i think it deserves its own post. Will put a link here!
    Edit- here is the link!
    https://forum.battlebay.net/threads/add-features-in-mini-map-for-coordinating.17344/#post-107890

Last edited: 5 Mar 2018
  16. WarCream

WarCream Well-Known Member

Well I play enforcer and I usually go alone and I find it not good when players doesn't get what Im doing and sticks to me just because I have the highest Infamy. I usually dont say together on command I just say help me but players are dum dum. They stick to me and we tend to lose cause they get targeted and I try to protect them I die fast. *Sigh*

Best regards,
    DEMON•WarCream

FirnenAhead likes this.
  17. envylife

envylife Well-Known Member

Even in Ace II, I still feel the need to remind people to stay together, not every time, but it's usually when I see multiple players separating, or after several matches where people cowboy off to start the battle, get mortared to death because they are the first enemy sighted, and leave the team short handed... so it's a caution, an alert, to THINK. "Together" at the beginning is usually understood as "follow me" because that's what the common reaction is, but I do agree they should be more explicit. More commonly I see teams silently follow the lead cowboy, which is fine because everyone is in the same place. It's too easy to pick off stragglers.

I also ignore "Attack" at the beginning... the only way to attack is to ensure that everyone is following you (with a Follow Me/Together command), and then issue "attack" in position, but that only works 10% of the time... players usually scatter when getting bombarded.

So back to your comment, what I do not see, and should see more than once in 20 matches, is for someone to issue an explicit command and anyone else to respond to it rather than silently consent... else you have to spend effort watching, gathering, reminding, etc. Communication is, apparently, hard.

18. Snapshot

I agree that there is a bare minimum of team coordination and communication and I wonder why that is. I see three possibilities which could contribute.
    • The first is that most players see the game as "too casual" to worry about things like team strategy. I've often wondered whether my infamy would go up several hundred points simply by joining a better guild and then fleeting with my guild-mates as much as possible. At least then two people on the team wouldn't see the match as "casual".
    • The second is that the existing communication tools don't serve people's needs so they aren't used. This may be true in some cases but clearly is not in others. I think the "together/attack" thing isn't really a battle command. It's more like a battle cry. But in an awful lot of other cases there are perfectly usable commands. One thing that I do know to be true for me is that I seldom even see any battle chat. When I am dodging and ducking in among several enemy boats I simply don't have the extra bandwidth to be monitoring fleeting text messages over in a small corner of the screen. I'm more worried about the 35 bullets headed my way. I have no clue how anyone manages that other than they have gotten so much better than me at boat handling that they DO have the excess bandwidth. But what is absolutely true is that if I see a boat with a target icon over it I will absolutely swap targets to that... sometimes jetting literally across the map to do it. The icon I see. The text... not so much.
    • The third is that people want to behave like a team but honestly don't know how. That's why i started my noob to noob series. As much as it's true that hardly any players read these boards, I've also noticed that ideas from here seem to filter into the player base fairly regularly so it's my hope that by giving people some SIMPLE templates for "how to start a match" and some "view from the other boat" type articles the teamwork thing might be cleaned up.
    Writing this up just made me wonder if a small "ding" of some sort when a battle command came in might help me an awful lot. As it is, I miss 99% of them.

19. Big Perm

Big Perm New Member

Hey all- I found this post looking for an answer on how to win with these crazy stupid match ups I get. People do not work together. I don’t think it’s fixable. That being said, how do people get and maintain infamy at high levels when having the same issues we all have? There has to be a way they do it. Are they always fleeting with guildmates?

I cannot personally maintain my infamy going out alone. It’s pretty pathetic.

20. Mr Meaner

Mr Meaner Active Member

In the beginning of battles, I will spam "help fixer" to perhaps increase teammates awareness of the fact that we have a fixer. I hope the fixer will stay close to me, because I will periodically check to make sure they are not under attack. If they stick with me, then I will always circle back to protect
    them. In the case that we have no fixer, I'll sometimes spam "follow me" because I have a specific battleplan for each map. What may appear to some as me rushing to certain death, most certainly is me scurrying into my opening position (which changes dynamically depending on where I spawn). Due to my notoriety, the majority of battles, most of the time teammates will, in fact, rally around me usually attacking the first person I attack.

My next command after initial command is always "destroy enemy fixer" once again to make my teammates aware that the other team has a fixer and he is a high priority target. Of course, my second command is dynamic. If there are two fixers, I'll spam "attack" usually followed by " destroy xxx" three times each time with a different unfriendly name. This is my way of telling my team to not make the fixers our main target. Double fixer teams are naturally short gunned and with each kill, they become less and less of a threat, but you must attack relentlessly to destroy any ship, hence, I start by saying "attack".

Lastly, if there are no fixers on the enemy team, then I will spam "destroy xxxx" whoever the strongest player on the unfriendlies is. After 10,000+ battles, I recognize most of the strongest players, and I just try to make my team aware of who they are.

The Otherguy likes this.