1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hey please check out our new forum Suggestions and Ideas found in the area "The Bay" - as we love all your ideas and want to collect them in one place, - please use it going forward. :) Thanks already for helping to make Battle Bay an even better experience. Remember: If your idea already exists - simply add your comment or like to an existing one so we avoid duplicates.
    Dismiss Notice

Why do so many Speeder die within 5 seconds?

Discussion in 'Strategy Discussion' started by Flint, 2 Apr 2018.

1. Flint

Flint Well-Known Member

Hi Everyone,

I have discussed this subject in the in-game forum and it annoys a lot of people, the Speeders who get killed within 5 seconds of the battle.

Are they losing Infamy on purpose? They head out to the 5 Unfriends in the beginning of the battle and bam, dead. Not even firing a shot. I don't get that. I do get sometimes you are taking by surprise and are killed quickly.

Some say that these Speeders cause confusing, even if they don't fire a shot. Not true, because if you kill a Speeder right at the starts it will lift your spirit and you fight harder. Then the other team is one person down, so 20% bigger chance of winning. Not always, but most of the times it is!

I had three battles in a row now today where 4! Speeders being killed within an instant. It sucks to die so fast, I know the feeling.

So, why do they do this? Lowering Infamy or are they so naive? But if you played 500 - 2000 battles you should have learned by now?

Last edited: 2 Apr 2018
    SlayerofSergeants likes this.
  2. TheAntiSnipe

TheAntiSnipe Moon's haunted

Depends upon your range. Trust me, it is VERY difficult to pilot a speeder. Shooting while moving faster than a torpedo is not everyone's cup of tea.

If you are in upper Master or lower Ace, the person you are seeing is 80-90% probable to be a tanker.

If you are in mid-low Master, it's just a lil kid who's seen too many Blacktail videos if you know what I mean:D I was once one of these kids, and the number of times I divebombed into the enemy team without managing to hit a single shot is STAGGERING.

3. Flint

Flint Well-Known Member

Hi TheAntiSnipe,

Thanks for your reply.

I have not mastered the Speeder either, so I don't judge. But I was curious why so many face the Unfriends right away. I have had battles where some Speeder just sail round and round the map and don't do anything, even mk5s. Also one who was the last one standing who hid in a cave. Face the music, please is what I think. So, we had a draw, because of it.

But I have also seen a mk5 SPeeder who was the last one standing and we were with the two of us against him. He/she had 100% hp left, we only a few hundred. And we could kill him with two fingers in our nose and playing with one hand. Was this a tanker? He/she had to hit us 3 times and would have won fair and square.

Maybe some of them use the Speeder only for the guild quest and that explains it also, that they perform badly. And pluse this is probably the hardest boat to master, it is a recipe for your own personal disaster. Would that make sense what I say?

4. Snapshot

Snapshot Well-Known Member

I see it as a part of my job.

While the shooting line is getting themselves organized I want to go out and find where the enemy is so that after 60 seconds when the shooters are all sorted they know what to do. The goal, of course, is to take no damage while I'm doing that. But you know... sometimes you go around that corner and there's the whole enemy team. Here's the deal. Someone needs to go first and that's a high risk role. I would rather do it in my fast and hard to hit speeder than have a shooter or defender do it. I, at least, have the hope of taking minimal or no damage. If I have little sympathy for the people who want others to take that risk and then complain about the results.

There's another aspect here. I'm an assassin. That means I need to be in striking range of the target when opportunity strikes. When you count overboost and one nitro I need to be within about 15% of a map length to make the strike if... say.... someone scores a big hit on the fixer. So I need to be WAY out in front anyway in order to do the job. Often times that results in an early fixer death but sometimes it just results in me dying.

Finally, there's a psychological aspect. I simply don't have the temperament to wait 90 seconds for every match to start. So I go stir the pot. Usually, once someone is shooting at someone else then people get motivated to participate. I've tried doing stuff like just sitting back in the little alcove in destruct 9 and waiting for my team to start the match but I just don't have the patience.

Note... these are general sorts of comments. Lots of details about each match will cause me to choose to play differently. For instance, a pair of fleeted enemy yellow boats will cause me to be a lot more conservative.

Hazimi likes this.
  5. kurdish bndo

kurdish bndo Active Member

Sometimes i do that but just for following reasons

1- at some matchmaking and map chosing situations so that my team hit them and give my twam an advantage
    2-if enemy team has a fixer i do it to separate enemy team
    3- i can't wait 2 minutes (any reason) till a match finnish

But with my 2x nitro i manage to avoide most of shoots if not all

6. ViscountSniffit

ViscountSniffit Well-Known Member

Part of being a good Speeder is scouting forward and getting vision for your team. It’s not always apparent, but a lot of those long range Sniper and LRM shots wouldn’t be possible without Speeder vision.

I usually try to play safe, and make sure I can escape back to my team, and most of the time I can. However, sometimes things just go wrong.

One thing that can really mess you up is if you get caught by a lucky Torp as you’re peeking around a corner. Then you’re health is low, you’re easy prey for snipers as you try to run.

Getting hit early in the game by a fluke Torp can happen to anyone, but all your team sees is you race off, and die, so it looks like you suicided, but actually it’s just bad luck.

Raunak, _devill and TheAntiSnipe like this.
  7. TheAntiSnipe

TheAntiSnipe Moon's haunted

As many said before me, scouting is the main reason. Speeders LIVE for the thrill of being chased down(well, I do at least:p) and scouting and attracting fire is one of our fatal attractions:D

However, in your example, there's some speeders who are scared of 1v2s, AND some who think playing it conservative and ending a match in a draw is a smarter play to make. It usually comes from good judgement. If I have 1000 HP and my opponent has 200 HP and is a shooter , with 60 seconds on the clock, I WILL go for the draw because, simply put, the shooter has the capability to one hit me. It can be that way.

_devill likes this.
  8. kurdish bndo

kurdish bndo Active Member

Portho said something like ( speeders suicide to kill a low HP player ,
    Speeders make enemy team visible to his team without sucrfying his HP ,....etc ) ,i was noob at that time i didn't know what he actually means, so i understood it in my way , and that what made me suicide ,

but i might have been the least suicidal speeder

9. HARPO!

HARPO! Well-Known Member

I’m a Performer! Television and Stage!
    Because they aren't as good as me.

PERIOD

Agile Vanguard and TheAntiSnipe like this.
  10. Rainbow Warrior

Rainbow Warrior Well-Known Member

Because we are late for the next battle :p

11. Blueee

Blueee Active Member

Always In The Bay!!
    Nah, I prefer Enforcer, with its awesome Enfo Dance :)

Hazimi likes this.
  12. Snapshot

Snapshot Well-Known Member

Because sometimes I die, but other times this happens...

Speeders are a high-risk boat. You can't learn to avoid the risk. You have to learn to accept it and to have good judgement. The "good judgement" part is why it's so hard to learn.

ViscountSniffit likes this.