1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hey please check out our new forum Suggestions and Ideas found in the area "The Bay" - as we love all your ideas and want to collect them in one place, - please use it going forward. :) Thanks already for helping to make Battle Bay an even better experience. Remember: If your idea already exists - simply add your comment or like to an existing one so we avoid duplicates.
    Dismiss Notice

What’s everyone’s opinion on crit damage perk?

Discussion in 'Strategy Discussion' started by PeterNorth, 21 May 2018.

1. PeterNorth

PeterNorth New Member

hi guys,

I’ve read in several posts that crit damage perks aren’t worth it. I run two 20% epic crit damage and two 7.5% epic sniper crit chance on my lvl40 epic sniper and 2 epic crit chance perks of 4.5% each and a 20% crit damage on my lvl40 rare cannon. Is this not efficient bc im essentially wasting perk slots w the 20% crit damage perks? Can someone explain why they are a waste? I run fire weaps but hard for those perks to come by and would use those if I got them although be curious to hear the best breakdown of how many fire perks to use vs crit ones.

Thanks

2. FirnenAhead

FirnenAhead Well-Known Member

They can do good on a sniper, since the weapon has already high crit chance due to the crew talents. So you'll adding damage on crits that will come up 1 out of 3 or 4 shots (You could tell us how much crit chance your sniper has). If you put crit damage perks on a non-sniper-cannon, you will be wasting a perk since you will see that damage once every 40 or 50 shots! You would have to use 3 epic crit chance perks to reach 10% crit chance and then you could see your additional damage 1 out of 10 shots. And i think even with 10% crit chance it would be a waste.

So: risky but worth it on snipers with 2 epic crit chance perks, bad idea on any other cannon

3. ErnestEgret

ErnestEgret Active Member

I use 2 X epic crit chance perks and a epic crit damage on my T2 legendary explosive cannon and I find it crits a lot more often than the aforementioned 40 or 50 shots. Mine seems to crit every 8 to 10 shots, but of course, EVERY shot has its own chance, so there's no guarantee that a sniper with high crit chance will crit hit even once in 10 or 20 shots. Like everything in this game,it's random chance. Some might be luckier than other players. Some games my exp cannon crits back to back, and I am glad I have the crit damage perk on. But each person will decide if it's how they want to set up their perks

TheAntiSnipe likes this.
  4. Kitterini

Kitterini Well-Known Member

Haven't done the math for a Sniper, but for all the other Cannons its the worst perk. The numbers just dont add up & its always a worse choice than crit chance, Damage or Fire.

Rainbow Warrior likes this.
  5. Kitterini

If you run two epic crit % chance perks then your Exp Cannon has a 10% chance to crit.

6. ErnestEgret

Thats right, plus a 20% crit damage perk. And it crits surprising often. And when it's crits when splashing 3 unfriends.... Well, easy 9k damage in one shot

7. R4Z0R

R4Z0R Well-Known Member

holy cr@p 9k?????

8. ViscountSniffit

ViscountSniffit Well-Known Member

It’s actually an okay perk if you already have a high crit chance.

On Blast, ExC and Cannon, I think 3x Crit Chance perks and 1x Crit Damage, is actually ‘very slightly’ better than 4x Crit Chance.
    Correction: it’s ‘very slightly’ worse (on average)

On Sniper you already get bigger crit damage from Bhurt’s crew training, so Crit Chance perks are better.

I assume you have Bhurt’s 16 and 17 trained for bigger Sniper crit damage (?). If you tell us your total damage, and total crit chance for Sniper, we can help you figure out which one is best.

Last edited: 21 May 2018
    StrictSalmon307 likes this.
  9. PeterNorth

PeterNorth New Member

My sniper does 30% crit chance, my cannon does 10% w my perks. See attached. My bhurt is all geared toward sniper and cannons and it is currently leveling to 28 where tier 5 will be open to me soon

Attached Files:

10. ViscountSniffit

Okay so for your Sniper you’ve got regular damage of 536, and with the bigger crit perks and training, you should be seeing crit damage of about 1554! minus defence points (does that sound about right?).

So your average damage will be:
    (536*0.7)+(1554*0.3) = 841.4

With all crit chance perks, your crits would drop down to 1340! but you’d be getting them 15% more often.

So your average damage would be:
    (536*0.55)+(1340*0.45) = 897.8

So on average, you’d gain 6.7% more damage per shot, by switching to crit chance perks.

But you have to balance that against how valuable you believe the bigger crits are, situationally.

(Anyone who wants to check my maths, please do!)

FirnenAhead and Claudius Maximus like this.
  11. ErnestEgret

IF I hit 3 boats together. But yes, 3k+ damage when crit hit

StrictSalmon307 and R4Z0R like this.
  12. ViscountSniffit

IIRC you only get crits against the main target, splash will be 75% of normal damage. So 4-5k would be more realistic. Though the chance of hitting 3 ships together AND getting a lucky 10% crit... probably not that common.

StrictSalmon307 likes this.
  13. DrLuigiPhd

DrLuigiPhd Active Member

I believe it works this way as well. You can’t crit on splashed targets with ex cannon

14. Kitterini

Critting every ten shots is not surprisingly often if the chance of a crit is 10% :)

If by ok you mean worst of all 4 options then sure :) Lets get past “think” and look at facts instead.

Lets use Blast Cannon as an example of why you should never use crit damage perks (atleast on a non sniper). For this example I look at a maxed t5 epic Blast Cannon, but the conclusion would be the same for Cannon and Exp and for all rarities (just even worse for crit damage with less perks slots). I ignore fire talents as they have zero impact on the relative strenght of the perks.

Lets consider the best case scenario for a Crit Damage perk, i.e. we place 4.5% epic crit chance perks in the first 3 perk slots. That gives us a starting point with an epic maxed Blast Cannon with 3 epic crit chance perks that does 1366damage & has a 14.5% crit chance. Thats 1564 damage in average. Now lets consider what happens depending on the 4th perk added.
    /disclaimer = Im not going to write out the math, trust that its correct (or take the time to redo the calculations if you doubt my level of education).

Baseline (3* crit chance perks)= 1564 avg damage.
    (Baseline + another 4.5% crit chance perk) = 1626 avg. damage. A +62 gain.
    (Baseline + an 8% epic damage perk) = 1628 avg. damage. A +64 gain.
    (Baseline + 20% epic crit damage perk) = 1604 avg. damage. A +40 gain.
    And now for the complicated one:
    (Baseline + a 12% fire damage perk) = To surpass the crit damage perk (1604 avg) you need to hit targets on fire 21%+ of the time. To surpass the epic damage perk (1628 avg) you need to hit a target on fire 34%+ of the time.

Obviously base damage isnt everything and the idea behind using the crit damage perk is to get the damage bursts that kills people. Im a big fan of burst (in particular on boats with just a few weapons), which is why I run three Crit Chance perks on my own Blast Cannon & is tempted to add a 4th. The difference in output across the perks leaves no logical argument for using the Crit Damage perks (not looking at sniper here), if you want guaranteed damage then use % damage perks, if you want burst use crit chance (its flat out better than crit damage in every scenario), and if you think Fire is often present then consider the fire perks.

This doesnt look at the first 3 perks, where all the 3 perks that arent Crit Damage has their own strenghts and are worth considering depending on setup and preferences. The conclusion on Crit Damage perks is clear though, its an instant sell for gold (Unless you use a sniper & has done the math to check if its a viable option or not).

15. ViscountSniffit

Yeah, I was wrong about it being slightly better in the 4th slot.

I quickly worked it out in my head, and accidentally did (crit damage)+20%, when it’s actually (regular damage)+120%.

Thank you for the correction.

I don’t normally do this, but I’m going to edit my original post, so that it doesn’t mislead anyone.

However, I’ll stand by my statement that it’s an ‘okay’ perk. The difference between crit chance and crit damage in the 4th slot is only about 1.4%. Which is quite a small sacrifice for bigger burst damage (which some players might consider well worth it).

ErnestEgret likes this.
  16. Kitterini

It really is a matter of what percentage figure you want to highlight :) It would also be a fair statement to claim that a 4th Crit chance perk is more than 50% more powerful than a crit damage perk (from +40 damage to +62). We are talking marginal gains here absolutely, but this is a case of 3 potentialet correct choices & 1 thats significantly worse.

/My post lacks the disclaimer that I assume that the crit damage perk alters the crit calculation from x2 and onto x2.2. Thats an assumption on my behalf, which is also based upon how I ‘think’ it works :)

17. ViscountSniffit

I think that’s how it works too.

If @PeterNorth gets back to us, and confirms that his Sniper crits for around 1554, and not 1900, then I think we can safely assume that’s correct.

18. PeterNorth

PeterNorth New Member

I normally crit 1600-1800 on my sniper. I’d say it happens quite often. Keep in mind, I run flare and firebomb so I wonder if the fire perks built into blurt training applies to crit damage?

Also, is there any circumstance where putting the 20% crit damage epic perk is better or smart on a regular cannon much like the one I posted in image above? Sorry if people have made this point above. Maybe I just didn’t understand it. Seems like it’s worth it on sniper. And mind you, I have 2 of the epic 20% damage crit perks on my sniper.

19. TheAntiSnipe

TheAntiSnipe Moon's haunted

Fire on a snipe... Not so good. They stack to base and not to crit tho.

20. SupremeCalamitas

SupremeCalamitas Well-Known Member

I don't think it's your business
    Sniper is for noobs who can't lead their shots IMO