1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hey please check out our new forum Suggestions and Ideas found in the area "The Bay" - as we love all your ideas and want to collect them in one place, - please use it going forward. :) Thanks already for helping to make Battle Bay an even better experience. Remember: If your idea already exists - simply add your comment or like to an existing one so we avoid duplicates.
    Dismiss Notice

Was the matchmaking change added in 2.6 beneficial?

Discussion in 'Game Discussion' started by Ian, 22 Mar 2018.

?

Was the 2.6 matchmaking change beneficial?

1. Yes

4 vote(s)
    25.0%
  2. No

12 vote(s)
    75.0%
  1. Ian

Ian Well-Known Member

Student
    As of update 2.6, mk levels of ships are balanced in matchmaking. In the patch notes, Zeus writes: “Updated matchmaking algorithm for more balanced teams in terms of ships”

What this means is that all the total mk levels of ships get added together, and they try and balance that number with the opposite team in order to prevent having matches of, for example, mk5s vs mk4s. Seems nice, doesn’t it? Of course it does! That’s why so many players wanted it after all.

However, these players just saw how the other team had higher tier boats than them and then they complained. Before the change, often times a mk5 boat at the same infamy as a mk3-5 was legitimately bad, or just an infamy tanker. Now, some of these mk5s stuck at low infamy aren’t even that horrible, and I’m not convinced “they are all just infamy tankers”. Things were much better before the change! I’m no longer in the lower leagues so I’m not experiencing it first hand, but I’ve seen and talked to people who are affected by how bad it is atm. Ex: A mk1-2 player can simply be carried to 1000 infamy because their team gets loaded with higher mk level ships, meanwhile a mk3-4 shooter has trouble climbing out of that infamy because they have to carry their team of lower mk lvl ships. Because of this, infamy at lower leagues is almost irrelevant considering a mk4 with 1000 infamy will almost 100% of the time outperform a mk1 or mk 2 with 1000 infamy. Isn’t infamy supposed to predict how well somebody can perform in a battle? I’m still not completely sure if this change has made things better or worse, but from what I’ve noticed it seems things have only gotten worse.

Please tell me what these player’s infamy represents, because I’m almost 100% sure it doesn’t accurately depict their ability to help win a match!
    C5A08624-A572-4DBF-9B1F-33A73BE01738.png 77C403B8-D881-4046-8B01-FB968187D17D.png
    It’s likely that the mk2 was carried to 1000 infamy by players like this shooter, who have to be dragged down by low level ships.

I tried to explain this concept best I could, but it really is difficult to put in words. Try thinking about it yourself too

2. Babablacksheep

Babablacksheep Well-Known Member

YerJokinArnYer likes this.
  3. Ian

Ian Well-Known Member

Student
    YerJokinArnYer likes this.
  4. Ian

Ian Well-Known Member

Student
    Also, this explains why upgrading from mk6-7 barely changes one’s infamy at all!

PastelPiku likes this.
  5. Babablacksheep

Babablacksheep Well-Known Member

Upgraded to mk6, and I m on free fall again:D

Shadow Moon! likes this.
  6. EyeOfDoom

EyeOfDoom Well-Known Member

Should've maxed out your rares first because now game will put you against random mk6s with maxed out items.

7. PastelPiku

PastelPiku Well-Known Member

Security
    There isn't enough incentive to play at a higher infamy when guild quests dominate the reward system. The matchup will continue to feel random as many players' infamy is nothing but an arbitrary number.

I'd like to see the (sorta) new exp per battle system improved and have it scale with your infamy so higher infamy players can level up more quickly. This should convince people to really play their best at all times so they can reach max level as fast as they can.

NietonoPanda likes this.
  8. What's Up Player

What's Up Player Well-Known Member

I wouldn't mind the new system, if IT WAS NOT BROKEN. Literally 75% at least of the battles the enemies have more MK7 than we do. Before the update I wouldn't mind because I'd think all have the same infamy = same skill, but now it's just false to assume, as @YerJokinArnYer explained in his post (https://forum.battlebay.net/threads/infamy-and-ship-level.17863/)

Example of terrible matchup from few days ago:
    Screenshot_2018-03-19-18-24-00-254_com.rovio.battlebay.png

Seems balanced doesn't it? ;)

PastelPiku likes this.
  9. Snapshot

Snapshot Well-Known Member

My experience was a bit different. The last thing on earth I needed was more experience. I was already leveling faster than I could upgrade gear. I needed gear to be competetive but you get gear at low infamy not high. I'd like to see prices and rewards adjusted to a much steeper slope and I'd like the rewards (all of them) to be scaled to infamy. As I like to say, if you want to take your M5 and fight at 400 infamy have fun and enjoy your wins of 50 gold which would enable you to buy common items.

Shadow Moon! and PastelPiku like this.
  10. YerJokinArnYer

YerJokinArnYer MVP

And isn’t that just perverse. Everything else that you upgrade theoretically gives a performance boost (in terms of infamy). Upgrading your ship (mk5 to mk6 being a seemingly difficult jump based upon personal experience and posts on the forum) seems to result in a fall in infamy.
    I think my analogy of NFL divisions explains the (matchmaking) reason behind it
    Hope you claw that infamy back soon and avoid any infamy drop penalties.

Babablacksheep and PastelPiku like this.
  11. TwoHeadedFreak

TwoHeadedFreak Member

I agree that at lower infamy a higher mk boat doesn't automatically mean better, I always hated it when the mk6 was on my team. I knew we were going to lose. It's in ace 1 and nightmare where i had to face mk7's in my mk5 fixer and we had all mk5 and mk6. Match making for ace1 and nightmare is still broken. Very few games are determined by skill. Most games are 5-0 or 5-1 win or lose, with the result determined before the game starts.

12. YerJokinArnYer

YerJokinArnYer MVP

You’re right of course. But the fact that we have to give that advice clearly highlights that something is wrong with the game.
    Considering that there are 49 upgrades for each weapon/item, but only 6 upgrades for your ship level, if you had no knowledge of this game you would assume that upgrading your ship would give a bigger boost than one level of weapon upgrade. Logically upgrading your ship should be equivalent to upgrading all of your items by 8.16 levels (49/6).

13. PastelPiku

PastelPiku Well-Known Member

Security
    Regardless of the math, anyone will agree that an upgrade should result in a higher infamy.

14. EyeOfDoom

EyeOfDoom Well-Known Member

Well, no one cares anymore. Balance was already thrown out of the window ages ago out of the window and they're probably not going fix it anyway. Maybe the player base is too small to not worth the effort anymore.

Nightmare matches are literally rock paper scissors and whoever gets more mk7 wins and it's not like 7,6,6,6,6 vs 6,6,6,6,6 but rather 7,7,6,6,6 vs 6,6,6,6,6 or 7,6,6,6,6 vs 6,6,6,6,5.

They've already blown their cover by stating that it tries to put losing ships on different sides so it wasn't strict mk based in first place. It's win loss based. So if you lose 1, expect more defeats and if you win, then you keep winning some more until you start losing again.

15. WickEdDuck

WickEdDuck New Member

Matchmaking is weird in this game I tell ya. Can someone explain why I am placed in battles with all mk5? If that was the only problem, these were the worst players I have see since I began BB a few weeks ago.

The higher mk ships don't mean you are good, only that you know how to tap on the button which says 'Train your crew'.

If they want to keep me playing this game, then this is not the way. And I am not going to spend money, which I wanted to, but not if I as a kiddo am dead in one shot or even when my neighbour gets hit, like in this battle.

In other battles I had 2500 damage on my own with my little simple Duck boat, look at these Giants, should do 5000-10000 at least with epics and rares.

WickEdDuck.jpg

Last edited: 22 Mar 2018
  16. WickEdDuck

WickEdDuck New Member

17. WickEdDuck

WickEdDuck New Member

I lost with four of those pesky mk5. I hardly lose battles and now with all mk5 ships, I do?! Like I said these two battles in my post were some of the worst I have seen. Please, give me mk1, mk2 and mk3 in my team! Do you hear dear Rovionies?