1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hey please check out our new forum Suggestions and Ideas found in the area "The Bay" - as we love all your ideas and want to collect them in one place, - please use it going forward. :) Thanks already for helping to make Battle Bay an even better experience. Remember: If your idea already exists - simply add your comment or like to an existing one so we avoid duplicates.
    Dismiss Notice

Tips for Noobies

Discussion in 'Game Discussion' started by Shvitz McGergen, 26 Jul 2017.

1. Shvitz McGergen

Shvitz McGergen Member

Hi All,
    Been playing Battle Bay religiously for some time now, so I thought I'd throw out some sage wisdom on strategy for those just joining. Some of this stuff might be obvious, but they're points that have really helped me not only have tons of fun out there, but also minimize my frustration with the "lack of free items". Anyway, would love to know your thoughts regarding these ideas and your own.

Deciding on ship
    - Especially when you first join, let your best items decide what ship you use. For example, if your best 5 items are all weapons, then dont use a fixer.
    - Focus on one ship to improve fastest. If you spread your resources too thin across red, yellow, and green items, you wont really improve any of them. Whereas, if you focus on improving your weapons for a few weeks and scrap other items, you'll have a stronger shooter for it and will move up the leaderboard faster.
    - Only upgrade your ship when you're either bored with the current level of competition (too easy) or if you have strong items on the bench to justify the upgrade. If you upgrade your ship too quickly to mk3, than you'll competing against experienced mk3 ships with beginner's skill. Stay at your current ship level for as long as you can before upgrading. Make it so you compete against other ships of the same level but have superior items. That'll give you a big, free advantage in matches.
    - The best advice I've read was to prioritize your weapons based on DPS (damage per second)

Resource Management
    - Move away from common and uncommon items as quickly as possible. I scrapped all of them for pieces and materials to build up Rare items and better.
    - Epic items are very rare but you will get them. At first, you might not be lucky enough to get items you want but hold onto them. There's a chance you'll get double Epics someday and if you do, you'll be really thankful that you held onto the first. I scrapped an Epic Napalm Launcher early on and have been regretting it ever since. I've also scrapped several epic Mines but I decided early on that i'd never use them...
    - I eventually ended up accumulating thousands of Common & Uncommon parts with little to do with them because I dont use any Common/Uncommon items. I started upgrading my weaker (green/grey) items to a level 10 before scrapping and found that it yields some nice results that wouldn't have discovered otherwise. Scrapping a level 1 Uncommon item typically gives you like 40 green parts when scrapped. However, upgrading to a level 10 and then scrapping gives you more chances to find rare and epic pieces (which I've found pretty often)

Miscellaneous
    - Chatting in matches eventually becomes strategic, and not just a way to galvanize your team your team by shouting "Together!" on the way to battle
    - Fleeting is useful when you find really different ships and playing styles to your own
    - Use the market to buy pieces and parts en masse. Meaning, I focus my time on buying 200 blue parts at a time, as opposed to buying many sets of 20. The more you spend on a set of parts, the cheaper the per unit cost becomes
    - Rare weapon pieces are really common in the market. I find a rare weapon piece about 80% of the time the market refreshes
    - VIP really helps me from a resource perspective. The 50% additional bonus resources (gold/sugar) becomes huge if you end up playing a dozen or more games per day
    - Perks add up quickly but I focus on blue rare perks
    - Shooters - if you're not leading your team in damage inflicted, you're doing something wrong
    - Speeders - great for close combat, quickly scurrying away
    - Fixers - find the strongest shooters on your team and hover around them to keep their health up. Shooters are not that mobile and can take tons of damage. Much more valuable to a team keeping your mates alive than trying to inflict massive damage yourself
    - Defenders - they're awesomely and incredibly slow. Dont waste resources adding speed here cause they'll never be able to get away. Focus on passive bonuses and taking as much damage on behalf of your team as possible
    - Enforcers - still not sure what they're for. Basically a jack of all trades. Theoretically these guys should be able to play a good short/mid game a bit closer to the action than a typically mortaring shooter.

Did I miss anything? What are your go-to tactics to achieve optimal sinkage??

chrisNazty, Zangetsu and monobrow like this.
  2. Wishaal

Wishaal Well-Known Member

Last edited: 26 Jul 2017
    Shvitz McGergen likes this.
  3. NAN0NAT3R

NAN0NAT3R Member

Don't agree with the defender speed thing. I added a lvl 10 rare turbo and a lvl 20 rare rudder and replaced a lvl 20 uncommon big shield. I do not regret this as i can dodge mortats and torpedoes better and survive longer than before.

4. Stelmo

Stelmo Well-Known Member

Some fair tips in there man, but holding off on upgrading your ship isn't one of them.
    Matchmaking is decided purely by your infamy rating, it has nothing to do with the evolution of your ship. Staying back at mk2 when you have the means to evolve to mk3 will only limit your progress, which is slow enough as it is.
    Short of putting money into it, the quickest way to move ahead is to win battles. More infamy will place you in higher leagues for bigger rewards to spend on resources.
    You've got a better chance with a better ship.

5. Shvitz McGergen

Shvitz McGergen Member

That sounds like a great use case for defenders. I've never played with one so I'll leave it to the experts.

6. Kalbs

Kalbs Well-Known Member

I had to stop here...

7. Ability6

Ability6 Member

I agree with moving to rare equipment as quickly as you can, but sometimes you get stuck using uncommons while you're chasing those rares. However I did notice that when you get a daily uncommon item from the calendar that is not already in your inventory, you can wait before claiming it. This will allow you to first go purchase that same item in the store and then go back to claim the daily item and wind up with two which you can then use to evolve and keep upgrading. Hope this helps someone just getting started. ;)

8. benguin8

benguin8 Well-Known Member

I have learned that pouring all your resources into your first epic(s) has an initial benefit, but unless you are lucky and get a 2nd copy of that you are better off focusing on the rare version until you get that copy! Otherwise you hit a wall and spent all those resources.

9. Jerbears

Jerbears Active Member

That's a really good tip! It would have helped me for sure

10. Shvitz McGergen

Shvitz McGergen Member

Thats a great point! I forgot to mention that. I actually purchas d a deal that included a rare blast cannon and shield. If you decide to purchase that, better to use gold first to buy your first blast cannon and then buy the deal, so you can upgrade to level 2. I also noticed that you can wait to collect from quests. So on Sunday, if you complete your weekly quest and have hours to kill until the next week's loads (usually the next day), you can wait and apply your completed quests to the next week's quest. You really just get a head start.

11. Shvitz McGergen

Shvitz McGergen Member

True... I go by weapon DPS and definitely have rare items that are stronger than epics. It also depends what infamy you're at. But, I definitely do see lots of upgrades uncommon items in he mAster league ll, especially green items on fixers.

12. Shvitz McGergen

Shvitz McGergen Member

Definitely. Sometimes I use perks to help a level 1 epic but it's pretty easy to beat them with 2 or 3 rares... That's why bugging out over legendary items is pointless. With how difficult it is upgrade them and get dupes, you better off focusing on building up lesser rarities.