1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hey please check out our new forum Suggestions and Ideas found in the area "The Bay" - as we love all your ideas and want to collect them in one place, - please use it going forward. :) Thanks already for helping to make Battle Bay an even better experience. Remember: If your idea already exists - simply add your comment or like to an existing one so we avoid duplicates.
    Dismiss Notice

The nerfed up competition placing system

Discussion in 'Game Discussion' started by Dr.pie, 16 Jun 2017.

1. Dr.pie

Dr.pie Member

I want to know why you changed the previous competition placing system. In the past you had to hold on to your 1st place spot, but now you get rewarded by your best infamy score you had during the competition regardless of what infamy score you finish with. So my best infamy is 2997 so far, so if I finish the competition with 2100 infamy I still get rewarded with 2997 prices because I got it once.

I guess I'm going to be president every time unless someone beats the previous amount of votes I got in the next election.

It was fun and competetive before. So.. why did you change it? What are the norms of competition to you guys?

Attached Files:

2. monobrow

monobrow Well-Known Member

Hypothetical seasons

1 (ace 3) start 2300, peak 2997, end 2100 (shown as 2997 finish, ace 2)
    Next season
    2 (ace 2) start 2100 peak 2590, end 1800 (shown as 2590 finish, ace 3)
    Next season
    3 (ace 3) start 1800

Etc

The only way you could stay king of the hill if you finished on say, 2997, didnt play and no one went past you, which is unlikely
    Alos, this cant happen in nightmare because everyone gets reset to 4k

Make sense?

3. Dr.pie

Dr.pie Member

No not really :D because it nullifies the meaning of racing to 1st place

4. Totoro

Totoro Active Member

Tree Spirit
    I push to pass people like I did before, but now I don't have to sit on a high score for the last couple of days (i.e., not playing at all out of a fear of dropping) in order to advance to a new division. I much prefer this system personally.

5. Miathan

Miathan Well-Known Member

Yeah the reason the new system is so great is that if you are on a good score and have a high spot, you don't have to stop playing anymore.

6. Dr.pie

Dr.pie Member

I understand both of you, it's fun, but it was more adrenaline infused competition before xD.

7. Totoro

Totoro Active Member

Tree Spirit
    I still have the adrenaline rush. I compete for top position more aggressively now. And it's great. Before, I had to worry that if I tried to chase top spots I might fall below a division threshold. This lets me achieve both, advancing divisions and competing for top spots.

behumble likes this.
  8. Dr.pie

Dr.pie Member

Yet it was before when you stopped playing for a day before the competition ended because just one loss would have dropped you back few places instantly, but now you don't have that stress, you can relax.

9. TheAntiSnipe

TheAntiSnipe Moon's haunted

Helps a lot, ya. No pressure.

10. Dr.pie

Dr.pie Member

I loved the competetive pressure, made it more fun that way. I guess you guys like to be comfy:p

11. Totoro

Totoro Active Member

Tree Spirit
    To belabor the point, it is the exact opposite for many of us. I understand the disconnect over pressure; it has changed not disappeared. The pressure is now focused on competing in league, not worrying about holding your position in a division as before. I am challenged all the time in the top 25, top 10, or top 3. I take it people do not do this in your league, but they do in mine. New watermarks get set. Challenge accepted!!! Pressure is on.

12. mang inasar

mang inasar Active Member

i like the new competition placing system than the one before. it encourages more people to play more during the end season days rather than camping out, scared to drop because they might get bad luck in matchmaking (getting allies that are foaters, campers etc.).

just try to think of the new system like the "best score" in an arcade game. you beat it once then you will be the "best" unless someone else beats your score then their name will replace yours at the top spot.

David Bonaparte, Double_C and Totoro like this.
  13. Dr.pie

Dr.pie Member

You know... I agree.

14. JDAR

JDAR Active Member

I personally like it better

15. David Bonaparte

David Bonaparte Active Member

No need to get snide, or to draw hasty conclusions. Especially since you obviously didn't think out your original post and rely on a false equivalency. Would it be fair to assume you are relying on others in your league to make mistakes and drop elo, letting you boost up higher, perchance? You can be competitive about that too, I think. ;) See what I mean about drawing conclusions too quickly?

The developers said it somewhere here. They made this change so that people would be more encouraged to play without worrying about losing their rank. Its a good thing too, since there are far fewer factors in your control in Battlebay, compared to other MOBAS that DO use a more dynamic rating system. Hearthstone is a good example of another game that uses a high-tide ranking system, in part because there is a bit of RNG with regards to what types of opponents you get. There, in very large part because of their ranking system, people are happy to try out lots of different styles of gameplay, and to a large degree this holds true here. Nobody complains about it over there, and that says a lot. Believe me, there are a ton of uninformed idiots on their forums. I'll be really sad if this one devolves to the same level.

16. Steven

Steven Active Member

Does it help against infamy dropping ppl? If they get up high they can't drop down to the lowest league it will send them to the next?

17. mang inasar

mang inasar Active Member

cheers! :)