1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hey please check out our new forum Suggestions and Ideas found in the area "The Bay" - as we love all your ideas and want to collect them in one place, - please use it going forward. :) Thanks already for helping to make Battle Bay an even better experience. Remember: If your idea already exists - simply add your comment or like to an existing one so we avoid duplicates.
    Dismiss Notice

The 1hour farm experiment - Fixer vs Speeder!

Discussion in 'Game Discussion' started by Kitterini, 21 Aug 2017.

Tags:
  1. Kitterini

Kitterini Well-Known Member

I've recently moved my speeder up to mk5 and my gut feeling was while that playing speeder I've been gained ressources significantly faster than when I was fixing. So I decided to do a little test.
    ---

- 1hour of spamming games.
    - VIP active (so pressing X upon death to get onto the next battle).
    - I am a horrible speeder & a (im my own humble opinion) decent fixer. In particular at the infamy rating these games took place, this infamy is roughly where I hit 50% winrate as speeder, but I can maintain around 500 more if I am playing only fixer.

The results of 1 hours farming:
    Speeder [25 games, 11wins vs 14 losses, lost 74 infamy]
    22 stars
    545965 gold
    323206 sugar
    28 pearls
    -----
    Fixer [17 games, 12 wins vs 5 losses, gained 169 infamy]
    14 stars
    432854 gold
    254328 sugar
    20 pearls

Remarks
    Any game with a Fixer takes significantly longer, hence the 17 vs 25 games.
    Both boats are using the setup that (in my experience) helps my team win the most, which is what "contribution secret sauce" should be about no (?).
    This is not meant as speeder bashing, rather its fixerwhining!

Conclusion
    Even at an infamy where I can maintain a 70% winrate as Fixer, the speeder is miles ahead in ressource gains. Imagine the differences if I was playing fixer around my peak.
    But despite Fixer being vastly favoured, the Speeder won by;
    57% more stars.
    26% more gold & sugar.
    ------
    I can easily come up with a ton of reasons for why this is, but @Miika my main question is this; Why on earth should I play Fixer when its underappreciated by such a large margin? Unless you are spending $$$ to a degree where star+gold income is irrelevant, it is hard to justify prolonging the farm experience by 25-50% regardless of your love for the green boat. This is not fluke stats, if anything this sample was good for my fixer.

My chosen setups:
    IMG_0132.PNG IMG_0133.PNG

Last edited: 21 Aug 2017
  2. CaffeinatedChris

CaffeinatedChris MVP

Seems simple to me - you survive longer as a Fixer, so you can't play as many games.

You also had a 70.5% winrate versus the 44% of a Speeder ...

The Otherguy likes this.
  3. Kitterini

And with those winrates speeder is still vastly better at farming ressources.
    Agreed that its easy enough to explain why, but do you think its fine?

The point remains; Why play fixer and prolong your farming with 25-50%?

4. CaffeinatedChris

CaffeinatedChris MVP

Because I'm playing to win, not to farm.

5. Kitterini

Did you read my first post? :)

I obviously cannot maintain a 70% winrate as fixer - The winrate for fixer in this sample is higher because my fixer is more developed and because 6000+ games with it makes me perform better than I can after a few houndred games as speeder. The only thing the winrate is relevant for in this thread is to illustrate that the actual difference in ressources gained are even larger (Had I played the Fixer hour around 3.8k infamy, where it would post a roughly 50% winrate, the difference would be even higher than it is).

Back to the actual topic: Do you think its fine that Fixers accumulate resources significantly slower than (in this example) speeders?

Last edited: 21 Aug 2017
    Ian likes this.
  6. CaffeinatedChris

CaffeinatedChris MVP

I imagine if you repeated the experiment as a Shooter, Enforcer, and Defender, you'd find that the Speeder is the outlier, not the Fixer.

The Speeder is the only boat class that encourages the YOLO style of gameplay - charge in, open fire, and hope to sink a high-value target before getting blown up. The rest of the boats are ill-equipped for such shenanigans, and as such have a longer gameplay cycle.

7. Kitterini

Alright. Nothing yolo (at least not purposely) about it. Any game which involves a fixer is longer by nature, the added amount of games comes from all the zero fixer games which are much faster (in general). Every non-fixer has a large portion of them.

But lets ignore gold/sugar and just consider stars then.
    Speeder= 0.88 stars pr game (with a 44% winrate). 11 of 22 stars from winning.
    Fixer= 0.82 (with a 70% winrate). 12 of the 14 stars are from winning.

I'm playing both boats with a focus on winning the game, and played a vital part of most of the fixer wins. I know the Flare Gun is a large part of the difference, but its a fine illustration of how "contribution" could perhaps use some tweaks :) Farming stars on the back of healing done is and uphill battle.

8. monobrow

monobrow Well-Known Member

Sssssshhhhhh! Dont tell everyone how easy it is!

9. Kitterini

I've spend months wondering how on earth people managed to farm 75stars pr day :)

The Otherguy likes this.
  10. Stelmo

Stelmo Well-Known Member

All I know is that I'm happy to shorten the lengths of those speeder battles for you, to keep them pearls rushing in;)
    Those numbers do seem a bit mad to me. To be fair though I think that your rewards should increase dramatically when you're punching far above your weight, which I'm sure you are 90% of the time as a mk5 fixer.
    When Christmas, Orpheus, OaTo et al. are on my team I'm very unlikely to get much farming done in my little mk5, when every shot they make does double one of mine and they can afford to take a good few more hits than I can too.
    Is it too much like communism to imagine a dynamic rewards system that takes into account your ship evo, gear rarity etc?
    I wouldn't mind really, but most of my games are with the big lads and I like treasure.

Ian likes this.
  11. curseDDestiny

curseDDestiny Member

Very interested to see if someone at the top can share the same statistics earned in an hour for defender, shooter and the enforcer to actually infer something. However as a fixer main even I cant farm 75 stars easily

12. Big Skillet

Big Skillet New Member

SO, VIP gets you the rewards, win or lose, even when you leave the fight upon death? I'm VIP and tried this but it didn't appear to work.

13. Miika

Miika Game Lead

You always get rewards even if you leave, VIP or no VIP. But obviously the rewards won't be given to you before the battle actually ends when the end result is known.

The Otherguy likes this.
  14. monobrow

my record for 75 stars was about 90 mins, that was just below 2k inf tho where the queues would also auto pop.

At 3k+ it's about double that, sadly.. tbh I've stopped worrying about stars as it was definitely affecting the quality of my play.

Lately I've only been playing about 30 mins, just enough to get my quests done, as progression once you have all rares is impossible without spending thousands, again, sadly :£

15. CheekyDevilGod

CheekyDevilGod Well-Known Member

I think that's it wrong for you to measure farming by time, you should consider measuring your farming rate by matches.

It's not the game's fault that matches with fixers take longer. Both teams need to do more dmg than usual cause of a fixer, the unfriends to negate your healing and your friends to make uo for the lack of firepower cause they have a fixer.

You played 25 games with speeder and 17 games with fixer. You got 26% lesser rewards for playing fixer on 68% of the matches you played with speeder. If you had played 25 matches, I reckon you'd have had more gold and sugar than with speeder.

Speeder is one of the ships I play and I'm not sure about everybody else but farming stars and resources with speeder is HELL. The ships that have it best there are shooters and defenders.

The problem with speeders, fixers and enforcers is, they can't carry the game by themselves (Atleast in lower mks they can't).

I only play mk4 speeder so maybe there's a huge difference from my perspective and yours. However I'll admit this much, fixers deserve more stars than they get now.

I really think that the slot distribution in mk levels need rework. Shooters get most their weapon slots by mk4 and their final 1 at mk5, shooters, enforcers and defenders need to get to mk5 just to get their 3rd weapon or control slot.

It's unfair and all the ships need to rely on shooters to carry the game cause there's not much the other ships can do till they reach a higher lvl. Mk4 shooters can reach 3k infamy but I've never heard of many mk4s of other classes up there.

thatnerdchic likes this.
  16. monobrow

I was carrying games all the time as a mk4 speeder. Possible my gear was better than yours but when you work out how to play speeder, it can definitley heavily influence the outcome

17. CheekyDevilGod

Oh please teach me how to play speeder. I can use some help with that thing.

I try to scout, end up getting destroyed. I try to flank, a ship dies before then. I try to distract, I die. I use tesla, nitro, cannon and sniper.

18. CaffeinatedChris

CaffeinatedChris MVP

I think the implication here is that with VIP, you can X-out and still get the increased rewards if you win.

If you don't have VIP, but you think your team will still win, you've gotta be there at match end to click the button/watch the ad for your +50%. Gives an incentive to watch it play out.

But I'm sticking around anyways because I don't usually sink until later on, and I want to see how my teammates fare. My last action was to plaster a thousand points of healing onto you, you'd better not have made me waste it, Defender.

19. monobrow

Scout.. spotted? TS, back to group, flank other side

Scout, not spotted, get behind, attack lowest hp target.. get out..

Rinse, repeat :)

20. CheekyDevilGod

What do I do if I'm scouting and I end up running right into them?. My agility isn't enough to turn around easily and sometimes I end up in a closed space where I can't run, I turn my back and I get hit cause I'm running in a straight line.

Also, what do I do when I'm trying to flank but my team is running 4v5 till then and somebody ends up dead before I can flank?