1. Hey please check out our new forum Suggestions and Ideas found in the area "The Bay" - as we love all your ideas and want to collect them in one place, - please use it going forward. :) Thanks already for helping to make Battle Bay an even better experience. Remember: If your idea already exists - simply add your comment or like to an existing one so we avoid duplicates.
    Dismiss Notice

[Suggestion for improvement] Matchmaking without changing the curerent matchmaking system

Discussion in 'Game Discussion' started by Tripple Moon, 16 Aug 2017.

1. Tripple Moon

Tripple Moon Member

Private info
    I hear you all think now "WTF" how would that be possible?
    How can you improve something without changing it right?
    Let me try to explain my suggestion then.

Most are aware by following all the discussions on this topic that the matchmaking formula uses a LOT of variables to compute it's result.
    How about adjusting a sub-calculation in that formula without changing the formula itself?
    eg. Result = ((A+B)/D + (A-C)*E) * x

My suggestion would be to use power difference buffs/debuffs on players, fe. damage or defense.
    Say a mk6 player(X) hits a mk1 player(Y), then player X would receive a debuff% on it's damage done, and player Y would receive a buff% on it's defense.
    This way the match would be more fair and emphasize player skills vs item contribution, making the game more enjoyable and appealing for all involved.
    This would also mostly eliminate seal clubbing and the like, because the buffs/debuffs % would compensate for the players bad intention.

I hear some thinking: "But that would make the company earn less because players will be less pressed to buy better equipment. So that won't be considered."
    This won't affect "fair" matches as much as the "unfair" matches.
    The company is able to adjust the +/- buffs% to draw a point in the graph where they see enough sales from the players involved, while the player base still have a "fun and competitive" game.

Last edited: 16 Aug 2017
  2. ThatOnion

ThatOnion Well-Known Member

Gamer
  3. Tripple Moon

Tripple Moon Member

Private info
    And your reason is?

4. ThatOnion

ThatOnion Well-Known Member

Gamer
    Because someone could take a mk1 into nightmare league and be nigh-invincible, same concept transfers to most leagues

5. Tripple Moon

Tripple Moon Member

Private info
    Hold on, wait...no wait a second....

In that case the mk1 would be just as mortal and leathal, as any other player that belongs in that league...
    If the mk1 becomes harder to beat or kills easier as a ship that normally would be in that league, then the +/-buffs are set wrongly.
    A player who plays with a mk1 ship while also possesing a mk6 ship has obviously enough player skills to be able to play in that league, what reason would there be to prevent that player to switch play styles?
    Oh wait invested cash? Comonnnnn....

6. Kraptastic

Kraptastic Active Member

Sales
    I'm not sure the "matchmaking formula uses a LOT of variables." I think it just uses Infamy. I could be wrong.
    I wouldn't mind seeing a sub-game where everyone has a relatively average boat and weapons. By no means would I want to see this as the regular game tho.

7. Tripple Moon

Tripple Moon Member

Private info
    The infamy is only the end result.

The difference in player strength would only be visible if they indeed added more game modes among which a 1vs1 ;)
    Ofcourse having seperate ratings per ship, because one could be super with one ship type while completly useless while using another.

8. Joey who

Joey who Well-Known Member

Never gonna happen

9. Ultrah

Ultrah Well-Known Member

I know how to dodge the matchmaking system.

Play at night.

10. Tripple Moon

Tripple Moon Member

Private info
    Care to explain to what you say this? The OP or the 1vs1 or something else?

11. D3X

D3X Well-Known Member

Great! This is in line to some of the suggestions i've made to a more fair matchmaking system.

Your thought process should also include Captain Levels, Item Perks Rarity along with MK ship levels and weapon level & rarity that you mentioned.

The problem is, where any of this is being calculated. Is the measurement / index pre-calculated on the client side , then compounded with current infamy or will all of this be calculated upon Matchmaking. Let's say they want to implement this as a reality, I think it's more of the former as it would take the load off the server, and if that's the case, then they'll need to tabulate and formulate the values of each of the weapons, mk levels & ship classes, captain skills, item perks on a linear scale / point system each with a base value and range, with a single unit of measurement. with this, thrown into your algorithm to debuff based on player level fair matchmaking.

This will be difficult to do, and require lots of hours; development, statistics, accuracy balancing, user testing etc to put it to a nominal scale. Compare this to an already working Infamy system that's simple. That's why it's unlikely this will be considered. The current infamy isn't that bad, there's definitely some cons with it, but it's working well. Every player has to go through the same infamy system, and as you go up it gets more accurate.

I think your idea would definitely bring better balance and an easier way to cap levels for tournament or guild practice modes. However, i don't think on the long list of things to do to improve the game for Rovio that it's a high priority.