1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hey please check out our new forum Suggestions and Ideas found in the area "The Bay" - as we love all your ideas and want to collect them in one place, - please use it going forward. :) Thanks already for helping to make Battle Bay an even better experience. Remember: If your idea already exists - simply add your comment or like to an existing one so we avoid duplicates.
    Dismiss Notice

Shield or bandage?

Discussion in 'Strategy Discussion' started by AAZ7, 26 Jun 2018.

1. AAZ7

AAZ7 Active Member

Hi all!
    For long time I've been using two turbos on my shooter mk6 to get that maximum 1.46 out of them =)
    But now, with epic turbo lvl40 I can have 1.41, which is ok for me. And also I've just got my epic bandage to lvl40... So I'm just wondering, which of the following items should I choose:
    IMG_20180626_220259.jpg IMG_20180626_220235.jpg
    I've tried them for a few battles, but still can not decide. Shield gives me not so much HP, but +25 defense (is it worth it anyway?)
    So I need an advice. Thank you!

2. AAZ7

AAZ7 Active Member

And one more question.
    If that shield was Epic (same lvl, same perks)... Does it change anything? =)

3. Super Speeder 0

Super Speeder 0 Member

bandage for sure
    i also use bandage

AAZ7 likes this.
  4. Craigjnoble

Craigjnoble Well-Known Member

HP perks in shields tend to be better than def. -26 off a 1.2k blast cannon hit isn’t going to change much.
    Also when health perks are used you also get the ship % increase applied to them too. So a 150hp perk actually increases your health by more than that.
    My shield has 1.7k health increase on it but when I place it on my ship I gain 2.2k health.

5. AAZ7

AAZ7 Active Member

Yeah, thanks for noticing.
    This thing actually gives my shooter 2667 hp =)
    IMG_20180626_224800.jpg

6. Valkhadin

Valkhadin Active Member

Definately bandage, in 30 secs of battle, youve already acquired 678 health :)

7. Valkhadin

Valkhadin Active Member

Yes, a lvl 40 rare is roughly the equivalent of a lvl 30 epic

8. envylife

envylife Well-Known Member

You should look at this recent discussion. I went over the impact of each and decided Bandage gives more HP than shield if it works for more than 1:30 in a game, which is almost every game for me. It was a comparison with a maxed out T5 Rare and T5 Bandage... so in your case your Bandage is far stronger than your Shield... you only need 6 ticks (30 seconds) before it adds as many HP as the shield.

There are some exceptions, particularly if you are low HP (at risk of being 1 or 2 shot), in TDM, Fleeting with a Fixer, or if even you are a Fixer the Small Shield may be the better way to go.

https://forum.battlebay.net/threads/bandage-or-shield.20115/

Last edited: 27 Jun 2018
    ViscountSniffit likes this.
  9. AAZ7

AAZ7 Active Member

Actually, as someone mentioned in the comments, the real hp of this shield is higher when put on ship. It gives me 757 hp. But anyway... Bandage seems better =)

10. craz¥burd

craz¥burd Well-Known Member

Double hp if epic (although I have brock at 28)
    I’ve played both too. I find it depends on the pace of the battle which ofc, you can never know. Fast battles - then shield is much more useful, longer battles - bandage is better. I swap them in and out every now and then.

AAZ7 likes this.
  11. envylife

My calculations include the HP value when equipped on a ship with equivalent tier items, and it almost always comes out in favor of Bandage with 1:30 of healing before break-even. In the OP's case it's a higher level Bandage vs a lower level Small Shield, so the break-even is even less time.

12. CaffeinatedChris

CaffeinatedChris MVP

One major asterisk on those calculations though - if your team has a Fixer, an extra Shield becomes a massively superior option. An equally leveled Repair Bolt will do about a minute's worth of Bandage healing instantly.

Obviously you can't guarantee one on your team every round, so it's a calculated risk you have to take.

StrictSalmon307 and TheAntiSnipe like this.
  13. envylife

Agreed....particularly when you fleet with a Fixer. If not it's a crap shoot. I mentioned that in my thread along with 1 or 2 other exceptions.

https://forum.battlebay.net/threads/bandage-or-shield.20115/

14. KINGIVANOV

KINGIVANOV Well-Known Member

Teenager
    Do you play speeder, I feel like my level 20 epic bandage is the best.

15. SlayerofSergeants

SlayerofSergeants Well-Known Member

For what it's worth, I think the defense is applied to the enemy weapon's base damage before their perk and training bonuses are applied. So it amounts to more than 26 hp savings. Still negligible compared to a 3k big torp hit. I agree the HP perk is more effective.

CaffeinatedChris likes this.
  16. CaffeinatedChris

CaffeinatedChris MVP

Correct, and also before burning bonus and crits. Defense reduces the sting of a Sniper crit and blocks Carronade quite well, but for everything else it's like putting a Band-Aid on a gunshot wound.

SlayerofSergeants likes this.
  17. Valkhadin

Valkhadin Active Member

Rarely, i like speeder but my yellow item arent up to par. I main defender

18. Jayden Kim

Jayden Kim New Member

Also, a bandage starts to do its job only after your ship gets demage which will take at least couple of tens of seconds. So the break even points is more than 1:30.

19. NoTtIaN

NoTtIaN Well-Known Member

Make posts
    bandage.
    obviosuly.
    unless your gonna be charging like me, just abandoning my team and doing all the damag. thing is, i die in 10 seconds.
    but, you bandage would only heal you for about 250, unlike your shield.

butt, the bandage can be stopped by a flare.
    while the shield would save you from carronade and missles
    the question is...
    whats your playstyle?
    choose:
    run and get killed, but deal dozens of thousands of damage (like me) :p
    or, play strategically and heal up after hiding behind a rock:eek::rolleyes:

AAZ7 likes this.
  20. envylife

I hope you're a lot better than the "run and get killed" players I typically get on my teams. It really does no good to hit a few shots and die... you need to kill. If that takes hiding behind a rock to get a kill, do that. Kills are the only thing that matter in this game...unless you are a Fixer who avoids friendly deaths.