1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hey please check out our new forum Suggestions and Ideas found in the area "The Bay" - as we love all your ideas and want to collect them in one place, - please use it going forward. :) Thanks already for helping to make Battle Bay an even better experience. Remember: If your idea already exists - simply add your comment or like to an existing one so we avoid duplicates.
    Dismiss Notice

Review of 3 vs 3 TDM Event

Discussion in 'Game Discussion' started by Ash KOT, 4 Jun 2018.

1. Ash KOT

Ash KOT MVP

So as you guys know, the devs are always looking for constructive criticism to know what direction to push the game in.
    Events are very new so they are mixing stuff up to see what the community enjoy the most, and the 3 vs 3 TDM event is due to wrap up in a few hours so thought I would leave my thoughts.

Game Mode: 3 vs 3, first to 8 kills, 50% cooldown.
    I actually loved this game mode, the small maps made for some intense close quarters combat which was a lot of fun.
    The cool down reductions led to railguns and explosive cannons being used often, and team work was key to win these events.

Prizes:
    The 4 perks this week were all just as inventive as the last, and nothing seemed overpowered "yet".
    The stun on railgun was my favourite, and I bagged an epic missile perk that I am sure will come to use later on :D
    I must admit taking the items out of the rewards was a huge disappointment for me, and I hope they return in future as gave a good incentive to play more.

Progress Structure:
    Previous event required stars, this was actually much better in my opinion.
    As even if your team sucked or you had a floater, there was a chance you could still lose and take 1 or 2 stars and make progress.
    In this event you had to win, and I had so many games where I had done over 30k damage for my team mates to both do under 5k and we lose.
    Or both teams be tied on 7 deaths and the friendly with 200hp goes racing at the 3 opponents even to me spamming negative repeatedly :D
    Also if you got a "bad" player, it is very hard to pull out a win with only 2 decent players, last event was much easier to win with 4 good players!

I only managed to get to the epic perk which was disappointing as played a ton of games over the weekend.
    But with ticket limitation and skewed matches and requirement to win, it just wasn't possible to get the legendary without buying the ticket replacements.
    The risk to rewards just isn't worth it, 200 pearls for 5 tickets, and of them you would probably win 3 out of 5.
    So I would have to of replenished tickets 17 times roughly for the legendary perk, 3400 pearls, which just wasnt worth the investment.

To summarize:

Game Mode: Great
    Perks: Great
    Way to earn prizes: Bad - Go back to stars
    Plus put the items back in the next event to go along with the perks :D

Shame you cant keep these game modes active after event ends, and remove the tickets and the rewards and just let people play for fun.
    I know people have much more fun playing these game modes than the regularly 5 vs 5 infamy mode.

Keep it up!

2. ViscountSniffit

ViscountSniffit Well-Known Member

I enjoyed the 50% cooldown. 3v3 was a great idea too, but I think it was ruined by making it TDM on just 3 tiny maps.

TDM is fun, but we did that last week. And I got fed up of those tiny maps within the first 5 games.

Altogether it felt like a lame rehash of last week’s event, just with fewer maps, less progress, and reduced prizes (why no free item?).

I actually lost interest pretty quickly, didn’t even bother finishing the Rare perk.

I appreciate the Devs giving us weekly events, but this one gets a thumbs down from me I’m afraid.

3. TheAntiSnipe

TheAntiSnipe Moon's haunted

Yup! The win system and nerfed rewards were a total downer.

Event was fun, rewards and scoring for rewards, not so much:(

4. Ash KOT

Ash KOT MVP

More maps would certainly have been good, even if they scaled them down or sectioned areas off as others suggested.
    The reduced prizes was a problem, so totally agree with you there.
    I grinded out the epic perk, but wasnt fun towards the end (burned out) and would have much preferred the star system and a free item offered with the perk as before!

5. ViscountSniffit

I personally think TDM awards should be based solely on kills, and assisting kills (for fixers and burners/frosters). There is no such thing as ‘kill stealing’ when so many games finish 8-7 (or 10-9 last week). Getting faster kills is what wins games, and it’s something everyone can do win/lose.

6. EyesTv

EyesTv Member

Play BB
    90% of my guild and my global hate the second event. It was horrible impossible to win, it was nice to do all the time the best damage or kill but you will never win.
    Personally I spent my day at the same time that I did not go beyond the rare trunk and moreover I did not even advance in the quests of the ducoup. There is really a problem of matchmaking, change it for the next event slvp.

ForgetIt and FataMorgana88 like this.
  7. Ash KOT

Ash KOT MVP

Hmm, I understand kills are important but you cannot base the rewards on just the kills or you get that horrible situation where the enemy requires 2 shots to kill, so they all hover waiting for someone else to put the first shot in. Also its hard to judge based on who put the final bullet in. Like If I have battled a defender and whittled down 8000hp and he is on his last 400 health, and someone snipes him from a distance and takes the kill, its not fair that I should miss out whilst the stealer gets all the rewards! I personally think stars was the best system.

8. EyesTv

EyesTv Member

Play BB
    ● Reduced reloading was nice, to redo.
    ● But I did not like the 3 vs 3 at all.
    Too many people who commit suicide, who go into the heap, it was absolutely horrible to play. I look forward to the event where we can create our team for strategy.
    Because shooting like a beast is boring ...

FataMorgana88 likes this.
  9. EyesTv

EyesTv Member

Play BB
    When I won it was only thanks to me that the others did not really do anything.

I stopped the event on the second day because I knew it was impossible for me to have the epic benefits and that the rare and common benefits are useless for me with my lvl40.
    I won 1 game out of 10 ...
    It was really annoying to always win and do half the damage and kill each time. : /

10. Ash KOT

Ash KOT MVP

I am only level 39, and I was winning about 50%, 10% win rate is VERY unlucky.
    That said I had some great rounds, in one I did 48K damage with an enfo, R40 Flare, E30 blast cannon, E40 sniper cannon :D

EyesTv and Rainbow Warrior like this.
  11. ViscountSniffit

In TDM there isn’t time to do that unless you want to lose 9-10. So long as there is a bonus to incentivise winning, then it shouldn’t be a problem.

If you’re wasting time whittling down an 8k Defender, on your own, in TDM, then you probably don’t deserve any rewards. You could have killed 3 Enforcers/Speeders in that time and won the game.

That was the problem with the Star Rewards system. You could focus on a big defender all game, get zero kills, lose, and still walk away with one star. While someone who was actually taking kills, and scoring points for the team, actually lost stars because of Overkill.

In TDM winning and scoring more kills faster are the same thing. If you’re doing loads of damage, and not getting kills, then you’re not playing right.

Last edited: 4 Jun 2018
    EyesTv likes this.
  12. R4Z0R

R4Z0R Well-Known Member

had great trouble winning in the second event...problems with peeps droppin gear score but still retaining doped items for overkill...i reckon the idea of progress by stars is better than wins as mentioned previously, if your team is throwin you can still get some stars instead of yielding nothing from the expenditure of one ticket (in the case of battle win progress)

*JAWS*, FataMorgana88 and Ash KOT like this.
  13. Ash KOT

Ash KOT MVP

And what if you were against 3 defenders?!
    This event was very defender heavy.
    overall damage / contribution is a much bigger factor than kills, as someone can just steal all the kills for max reward, where as the guys who have done 90% of the work are walking away empty handed.
    Wins I didnt like, kills might be slightly better but I think stars is the best way to award the prizes.

EyesTv, ForgetIt and Aether_Zero like this.
  14. Yestlermania30

Yestlermania30 New Member

This event break the balance of all weapons, everyone just keep spamming torpedos and mortars to deal as much damage and as quickly as possible to win the match, if you are unlucky get stuck teaming with defender then you basically have nearly no chance of winning.

EyesTv and FataMorgana88 like this.
  15. ViscountSniffit

It cuts both ways.

Look at this game, 10-9 victory, so it was a very close game. I got more kills than the rest of my team put together.

07FEAB51-92F5-4996-A68D-9744EBE0FEB3.png

Yet the top rewards go to a guy who only killed one ship, just because he got 1k more damage than me.

How much damage do you think I wasted with 6 overkills? Probably enough to put me in the top spot right?

But then my team probably would have lost. The unfriends only needed 1 more kill to win the game. Imagine if I’d left each of those kills for my teammates to ‘finish’ in their own time, and all the extra time that would take (multiplied by 6)? They would have lost, hands down.

I should have got 3 stars for carrying that game, but instead I got bounced to second place.

I don’t mind stars as a rating system, but kills need to be more valuable than they currently are.

16. Schrödinger

Schrödinger Member

Yeah! The win system nullified all the fun from participation in the event.
    I've noticed that I become angry after a series of defeats with the top contribution. :mad:

17. ViscountSniffit

It also made matchmaking more critical.

In the last event, if I got killed a bunch of times by a Nightmare guy with obviously better gear, I would just chalk it down to “whatever”, and not care, so long as I got my star.

But when losses literally count for nothing, any kind of mismatch becomes very noticeable and infuriating.

18. Spongeboat

Spongeboat Well-Known Member

I also prefer star reward system. Because even when you're on the losing side, you'll still be rewarded if you put enough effort and contributions into the match, albeit the reward is a bit lower. It encourages you to put your best in every match.

Meanwhile with win based reward, if your team is on the losing situation, most probably you'll stop caring. I mean, why bother when your team is 4 scores behind, you'll most definitely lose and get nothing anyway.

19. Kitterini

Kitterini Well-Known Member

Amount of games required over 3 days was over the top. Add the removed items to the equation and its gets frustrating.
    ---
    Happy to see them try out different things;
    - 3vs3 was great.
    - Hope we get some variance from DM next time around, but it works well though.
    - Half CD was absolutely trash, I didnt find it entertainment to cycle 2 abilities on an infinite loop anyway. Efficient method for dumbing the game down, but I hope they have higher ambitions for their game. Hope that trash never makes a return.
    - The perks were cool, thankfully none I desperately needed so I didnt have to stommack the horrible gameplay experience of half cd.

Bring on double CD next time & force people to think before they shoot :)

Looking forward to the next round!

20. Weeze

Weeze Well-Known Member

Overall fun event. Nice change of pace.

However, one thing definitely needs to be addressed: teams camping at their spawn. Games where this happens are infinitely less fun. Others have suggested a capture zone but that goes against the purpose of the game mode. DEATHmatch. I would suggest some other forms of incentive for pushing out, fighting, and controlling the middle of the map.

1) Heal zone in the middle
    2) Spawn camping debuff. After re-spawning you have 10 seconds to exit the spawn. If you fail to leave the spawn you will be affected by a debuff as long as you remain in the spawn. The debuff would block all healing (bandage and fixer heals) and deal some % damage of your hp (say 1% for every second). Think fortnite or PUBG zone restrictions. If you are where you are not supposed to be, you will take damage.

Open to hear other ideas to prevent spawn camping games.

Last edited: 4 Jun 2018