1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hey please check out our new forum Suggestions and Ideas found in the area "The Bay" - as we love all your ideas and want to collect them in one place, - please use it going forward. :) Thanks already for helping to make Battle Bay an even better experience. Remember: If your idea already exists - simply add your comment or like to an existing one so we avoid duplicates.
    Dismiss Notice

Repair box: improvement

Discussion in 'Suggestions & Ideas' started by Miathan, 3 Apr 2018.

?

Is this suggestion a good one?

1. Yes

87.5%
  2. No, but repair box does need some kind of improvement

12.5%
  3. No, repair box is fine the way it is

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  1. Miathan

Miathan Well-Known Member

1. The problem

Repair box launcher used to be one of the most popular items on the bay. When I started playing, every fixer had one. Nowadays, its usage has declined a lot. A few reasons for that:
    1. box size got reduced to remove the ability of hiding mines in boxes (OK, fair enough)
    2. box timer got reduced so that unpicked boxes expire much faster (was this really necessary?)
    3. duct tape got several buffs
    4. repair bolt got introduced
    5. the weapon-specific achievements were introduced, greatly favoring a double bolt setup over a balanced pulse / box / bolt, because double bolt gives you double the achievement progress towards legendary bolt
    All these things together make boxes a lot less attractive than they used to be. Some fixers are even arguing that it's suboptimal to run a box at all now.

2. The fix

There is a second problem: box crit, and how useless it has always been. Now, I believe here lies the perfect way to solve our problem: create a way to make boxes better by improving the critical capabilities. The most obvious way of doing this, and my suggestion, is to create box-specific perks that function like the sniper crit perks. A set amount of critical repair chance, only applicable to repair box launcher. The value should be such that critical perks have the potential of the highest average repair done per box (and thus are "better" than repair % perks). This is to compensate for the increase in randomness and thus decrease in reliability of box repairs, as well as compensate for the crew training needed to maximize box crit.

3. The consequences

The consequences of the fix would be:
    - boxes are a more attractive repair item and could be considered on par with the others again
    - balanced setups (pulse / box / bolt etc) will not get a great boost, because of the crew training sacrifices needed for maximizing box crit, thus preserving the current balance to a certain degree
    - double or triple box setups would get a great boost and could become viable when crew training fully into box, thus creating fixer build diversity

2. TheFixer27

TheFixer27 Well-Known Member

A boat
    +999999999999 repair crit perks should be there from the first place

3. Craigjnoble

Craigjnoble Well-Known Member

Other issue with box. When multiple ships are in the same circle when it lands the ship that receives it seems random. It’s not dependant in health or closest to centre. I have had many a cruicial box “stolen” from me as a full health shooter happened to have 1 pixel in the drop zone while I was sat in the centre as a sitting duck for the last hour waiting for it to finally land.
    (As you might of guessed I don’t use it anymore haha)
    Also bolt can remove the heal block. Ideally the box or bolt should be able to remove stun/frost. Maybe even as a 1 or other

4. Miathan

Good point, I've been annoyed by this many times as well. Ideally, box priority could be improved too and go together with the other improvement.

5. No Time 2 Battle

No Time 2 Battle Active Member

I have to admit that all the talk of critical repair is lost on me. LOL. I understand it in theory but don’t think much about application.

However, I DO run box, bolt, pulse. I find that use the box as my form of duct tape (which I hate). In many ways the boxes are just as much for me as others. With pulse only doing 1/2 the heal rate to self and unable to run big shield, I find myself in need of thecheals as the lowest hp person in a lot of battles at the 3400-3500 infamy range. My pulse and standard shield are just rare and lack the umph of the epics at similar levels. Box gives me an option for myself as well as for others.

I ran double pulse recently and died early because I couldn’t live without my boxes. :) I went back to the trio.

In the achievements rewards my bolt exceeds both the others but my box comes in 2nd. I think this is due to the higher heal of the bolt and the fact that getting a team to stay together for a pulse can be difficult. LOL. I also find myself using pulse and throwing boxes as I run to stay alive while a speeder chases me. I’m sure all of us fixers have been there.

I’d also like to have ‘splash heals’ when I shoot a bolt and it misses but hits the wall. I don’t think it’s fair that splash atprea only applies to weapons. o_O

wreck your day likes this.
  6. Kitterini

Kitterini Well-Known Member

Box desperately needs help :)

Bolt heals for significantly more, is easier to land and can be used at a much larger range. Despite the lack of selfhealing its just not close.

The expire timer was most certainly unnessacary, and it killed the one thing Box was truly great at.

Numbers just dont add up and it would require some serious buffs to become useful again (+healing, +range, +duration).

Neptune_Gaming likes this.
  7. Craigjnoble

Craigjnoble Well-Known Member

Also - flight time. When you need an emergency heal it’s just not fast enough. Nothing like have the box finally land on the burning wreckage. It feels like you could get two bolt shots in before the box lands.

8. Scourge Argaen

Scourge Argaen Well-Known Member

I raised a thread of a similar theme to this around fixer perks, glad to see like minded thoughts on the box. Hopefully we can get some more traction as I agree the box needs more love.

https://forum.battlebay.net/threads/fixer-perks.17088/#post-105073

This 100%, one of my pains as a fixer.

I still think it needs it's own niche other than crit chance just like pulse heals everyone and bolt can remove stuns / slows. This is the perfect item to give a temporary healing boost.

9. Miathan

Yeah this is annoying too, but at the same time I feel like it's sort of fair. It's a property of box. Making it move fast would be a buff in itself and probably shouldn't go together with my suggestion.

I'm not sure. I mean, I thought of other things too (temporary defence buff after picking up a box, or box doing half its value as area healing) but I think one buff at a time is enough. I would want to make box worth using but balanced, not shoot it straight into OP ;)

10. PastelPiku

PastelPiku Well-Known Member

Security
    Bolt can remove stun and frost. I think it'd be neat if box could remove burns (maybe by % or just the last burn received).

Generally the problem with the box is that it can heal people. The repair bolt can do more than just heal, and the amount of healing you can do with a bolt and a tape is typically better than 2 boxes. The box needs some kind of utility to make it stand on equal ground with the bolt.

11. Miathan

While I'm not opposed to this idea and think a little addition to boxes could be fun, one could argue that its utility is that you can throw it on the water and have it stay a while.

I think removing burns could be fun and a good addition to box, but it's tricky to balance. If a flare gun does 1000 damage over 10 seconds (hypothetical situation) and a box lands on that ship 2 seconds in and heals for 800, it effectively healed for 1600 (because it prevented 800 burn). It has the potential to make box OP imo.

12. Neptune_Gaming

Neptune_Gaming Well-Known Member

Yes. What I suggest is to remove half of the time of the burn.

PastelPiku likes this.
  13. PastelPiku

PastelPiku Well-Known Member

Security
    This much utility is balanced with the repair bolt's infinite range. It is typically not enough to make it shine and it's mostly only speeders that can fully utilise backup boxes.
    A nice way to balance this would be to have the burn reduction talents conflict with other crucial repair box talents to force a sacrifice of healing power for added utility.

I think there should be 3 talents for burn reduction, the first being 20% and the other 2 being 15% and relying on the first being active, for a total of 50% removal.

Scourge Argaen likes this.
  14. Rainbow Warrior

Rainbow Warrior Well-Known Member

Great idea! I'd also love perks who make the box drop faster :D

Hokuse and PastelPiku like this.
  15. Miathan

Well at first it sounds good but I see 2 issues with that:

1) Would you sacrifice healing power for the faster drop, given that box already heals less than the other green items? I know I wouldn't...
    2) I wouldn't want to make too many perks because it only means you'll find fewer of any specific perk.

16. Rainbow Warrior

No doubt! The slow motion drop of the repair box is the main reason I'm going on double pulse + repair bolt instead of double pulse + box :D

17. SupremeCalamitas

SupremeCalamitas Well-Known Member

I don't think it's your business
    What there should be is a system where when a fixer drops a box, the box heals the person closest to the center. It would also be cool if it harmed enemies who picked it up, dealing the same damage as healing. Maybe the damage could also be added to RB

18. Scourge Argaen

Scourge Argaen Well-Known Member

Reducing the pickup zone when launched ought to alleviate it a lot. I.e. the central landing point and 1-2 rings only.

PastelPiku likes this.
  19. HAPPY SITHSHA

HAPPY SITHSHA Well-Known Member

How about increasing its range and decreasing its cool down?Will it be nice?:rolleyes::rolleyes:;););)

Nikkie! and Rainbow Warrior like this.
  20. Rainbow Warrior

Don't know if it'd increase the boxes' value. Once you you train your crew it has a decent range and the 3 healing items have a good cooldown. But, hey, maybe I'm wrong :D

Neptune_Gaming likes this.