1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hey please check out our new forum Suggestions and Ideas found in the area "The Bay" - as we love all your ideas and want to collect them in one place, - please use it going forward. :) Thanks already for helping to make Battle Bay an even better experience. Remember: If your idea already exists - simply add your comment or like to an existing one so we avoid duplicates.
    Dismiss Notice

Please fix the guild rivalry matches

Discussion in 'Game Discussion' started by BattleRascal, 15 Feb 2018.

1. BattleRascal

BattleRascal Well-Known Member

The new guild rivalry matchmaking was not well thought out.
    This is a very simple explanation, but this is what is happening:
    Say the top 4 guilds in the bay complete 50 quests per week.
    The # 200 guild in the bay that has super active 1500 infamy players who also complete 50 quests per week.
    Because they complete the same amount of quests every week they potentially get put into the same guild rivalry and likely will finish in last place with 1000 raffle tokens.
    In another guild rivalry, the # 195, 196, 197, 198, 199th ranked guilds are put into the same rivalry because they complete 36 quests per week. So the 195th Ranked guild will collect 42,000 raffle tokens by completing 37 guild quests per week but the #200 guild will only collect 1,000 raffle tokens for completing 49 quests per week. I'm sure this is not what the BattleBay Developers intended. This is going to cause extremely active lower infamy guilds to splinter and go to less active guilds. Please fix this BattleBay. The former matchmaking system wasn't perfect, but it was better than this, because at least you were facing equal ranked infamy guilds.

But otherwise the update is fantastic. Thank you guys for all the extra weapon and combat rewards and also for changes to the guild quest damage calculations. Very well done!

Last edited: 15 Feb 2018
    Blueee and yellow flash like this.
  2. BattleRascal

The best way to fix this is to create larger guild rivalries, such as 20 guilds. And at the end of the season the rewards are based upon the number of quests completed. So the bragging rights come from finishing in the certain place in the rivalry, but the raffle tokens are distributed based upon actual quests.
    It is time consuming work for a guild to complete 45 quests, and then to finish last place in your rivalry and only get 1,000 tokens is very discouraging.

3. TheShaggy1

TheShaggy1 New Member

I agree with BattleRascal that you guys did a great job with the update but, please do something about the guild rivalry matchmaking. My small guild(5 members) is currently in a rivalry against a: 12/25, 21/25 and 3 25/25 guilds. Needless to say, we're getting destroyed, with most of our competition (at least) doubling our completed quests. Could you possibly add a component to match similarly sized guilds, as well as the activity levels? Or, maybe break the rivalries into different leagues, i.e. 0-10, 11-20, 21-25 members. That would, imo, create a much more even rivalry experience and be a lot more fair. Small guilds, even if active, simply can't compete against active 25/25's.

ITB likes this.
  4. roytchai

roytchai Member

Completely agreed. I am losing interest in this game if we are going to match against people at 4000+ infamy. They do 30k damage per game and we do 10k-15k.

5. Shimmer&shine

Shimmer&shine New Member

I agree my guild is rank 90 and we have been in the same rivalry with guild #2 #28 #11 !!!
    We finished 48 quest and came last and they already finished 62 !!
    No way to compete so disappointing

6. Rainbow Warrior

Rainbow Warrior Well-Known Member

I think the system will fix its own initial imbalances... From next rivalries we're probably going to be matched against guilds that completed the same number of quests. This new system is easier to be completed even for those who wanted to keep their infamy high, because we don't need to use mk1 or lvl 1 rare items on Ace, et cetera.
    First rivalries, it'll be natural to be paired with impossible guilds, then it'll become balanced, not easy at all, but balanced.

7. Trium

Trium Active Member

I agree, current system is awful, it stimulates people to go to the empty clans, if they want to get more tockens.

I have created quite active guild. After the update, we are matched with the same opponents, as a result, having about the same performance, one guild is having 42k, and one 1k.
    Obviously, it is better to create a fresh guild and complete 1-3 quests :[

The solution may be in increasing rewards for clearing the boards. I would say it should be increased in 2-3 times. Then the rivalry winner will get just a nice bonus, but not half of the tockens.

8. Rainbow Warrior

Do the math, I've got more than 100k tokens, we'll probably going to complete the 5th board until the rivalry ends (about 30k? tokens)... Winning the rivalry seems not as relevant as to complete the missions IMHO.

9. Trium

Trium Active Member

Most people have life beside battlebay, and completing more than 3 boards is not possible for them

U play a lot, u will be rewarded for that in any case.

kencold likes this.
  10. enotSenO

enotSenO Active Member

I really like the new rivalry system. Of course, it is much more intense compared to the previous version. I have a threshold on my time to spend for the bay. I do not mind if someone spends more time or money in order to win. The problem would be we need to fix the exploitation of the rivalry system.

Rainbow Warrior likes this.
  11. ITB

ITB New Member

Sinker of Ships
    Our guild is in the same boat (pun intended). We have 6 active members and we were matched vs guilds with 17, 22, 24, 25, and 25. Matchmaking needs some tweaks for sure.

12. BattleRascal

The new system creates a viscous cycle knowing that however good you do one week, the following week you're going to be matched against even harder guilds.
    The Dev's might not want to hear this but this is going to create a new wave of "sandbagging". Do really good one week, and then intentionally complete fewer quests the following week. This isn't healthy and i'm sure BattleBay doesn't want this.

FearsomeChicken likes this.
  13. Help I Cant Swim

Help I Cant Swim MVP

@BattleRascal give it 2 weeks to settle. If a higher ranked guild completes more quests than you do because the damage is easier, then you won't be matched up with them again. And just because they can do more damage than you doesn't matter. Your guild at lower infamy can win easier than they can at 4k+ infamy. And your guild at lower infamy can use weapons that haven't been maxed out. Players at high infamy don't have this luxury because if they take an under-leveled weapon into battle, they are going to get pummeled.

Again, give it a few weeks to let the dust settle and then we will talk about it.

- Oskar - and Rainbow Warrior like this.
  14. roytchai

roytchai Member

No, it will never settle. I’ll show you the math.

Let’s say we rank every guild by active-ness. Now we are having rivalries like
    Etc...

Because of the reward system, we are punishing 2-6, 8-12, 14-18 etc. That is, we are punishing 5 out of 6 hardworking players (assuming all guilds have full member). This will result in a huge number of players quitting the game.

In the past, the system mostly match the sum of infamy, which encourages hardworking players to contribute more than their fellows at similar infamy. This is healthy, and the result was, usually you get one strong rivalry per week, and you can always get second as a reward for your hard work.

Now this new system will definitely encourage sandbagging, just like a company setting their sales’ yearly target according to their performance in the previous year, and giving out commission bonus based on how much you exceed the target. Those sales will just perform ultra poorly one year, and get a huge bonus next year.

In general, you should never punish hardworking players. You might think that it creates a lot of competition in a short period of time, and perhaps generate income for Ravio when people throw money into competing with each other, but no, you will lose 86% players very soon and Battle Bay guild system will not only generate no extra income, but turn the company figure to red very soon.

kencold and Spinners71 like this.
  15. Rainbow Warrior

So the active guilds that were losing the rivalries so far did not care, and those that'll start losing from now will leave the game... I'm not following. The previous system rewarded inumerous guilds with few high infamy players matching against guilds with 25 beginners, the new systems seems to be way fairer.

- Oskar - and Help I Cant Swim like this.
  16. Help I Cant Swim

Help I Cant Swim MVP

I'm not seeing any math at all in your response... There are numbers. But that is not math.

I've already said it once and I'll say it again. Just give it a few weeks. This is a new system and we really don't know what is going to happen yet. In a few weeks if it has gotten worse, then we can present the devs with evidence. But right now it is all just speculation.

In my personal opinion, the new guild quests are amazing and liberating. I can finally stop leveling items I'll never use... although I'm still keeping them to gain legendaries one day. :)

Snapshot and Rainbow Warrior like this.
  17. Snapshot

Snapshot Well-Known Member

You mean just like the infamy system and, in fact, any competitive progression-based system?

18. Da Carronade King

Da Carronade King Well-Known Member

Seducer
    If u face the hard earlier, then in the future it would be easier.

Snapshot and Rainbow Warrior like this.
  19. Snapshot

Snapshot Well-Known Member

Sort of... once it becomes "easier" then you'll face harder challenges until it is no longer easy. But that is the nature of any competitive progression system. Personally I think the new guild quests align well with the incentive structure and it'll probably be a great change. Infamy does not align well with incentives and that's why there's a problem there.

Rainbow Warrior likes this.
  20. Spinners71

Spinners71 Well-Known Member

Thank goodness someone took the time to clearly write out why this was such an awful change to the system. I would have typed something similar myself, but honestly I haven't had time.
    THANK YOU @roytchai !!!

kencold and roytchai like this.