1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hey please check out our new forum Suggestions and Ideas found in the area "The Bay" - as we love all your ideas and want to collect them in one place, - please use it going forward. :) Thanks already for helping to make Battle Bay an even better experience. Remember: If your idea already exists - simply add your comment or like to an existing one so we avoid duplicates.
    Dismiss Notice

Petition to add controller support

Discussion in 'Suggestions & Ideas' started by Aquaholic, 18 Nov 2017.

?

Should it be implemented?

1. Yes

88.9%
  2. No

11.1%
  3. What are you on about?

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  1. Aquaholic

Aquaholic Active Member

Captain
    So I've been playing this game for quite a while using this controller. https://ssli.ebayimg.com/images/g/ovkAAOSwZlZZ8nY4/s-l1600.jpg
    Whilst mapping buttons to certain parts of the screen works fine in battles, to lead my shots I have to go back to the touchscreen, and this short delay between moving my hands from controller to touchscreen can quite often be the difference between life and death. I would much appreciate it if the devs could add built-in controller support - It can't be too hard can it?

ECTO_1a and tgtv like this.
  2. tgtv

tgtv New Member

Please add Bluetooth controller support (Apple MFI) ...after playing long periods of time , I tend to lose control (thumb moves but traction is lost). I’m sure this happens to a lot of players.

It’s also difficult to play on iPads because the the screens are bigger making it awkward to hold and move around. Only benefit is the bigger screen making it easier to see VS a smaller screen on a mobile phone.

Controller + Apple TV App or iPad = Very Happy Players

The Grim Repair likes this.
  3. The Grim Repair

The Grim Repair Community Manager

Good point! :) That has been considered, however there are no current plans to support controllers yet.

Aquaholic and Mr. Chompers like this.
  4. Ability6

Ability6 Member

I would still like Moga please! :D

5. Help I Cant Swim

Help I Cant Swim MVP

Controllers would be a huge advantage and would make speeders even more dominant. I would probably use one if I had the option, but you gotta understand the consequences.

6. Radar O Reilly

Radar O Reilly Active Member

Or a controller allows me to better fend off those speeders. A controller would give me better control and I expect improve my gaming experience and reduce touch screen frustration. Every try to turn your boat and instead just changed the camera because your finger wasn't in the circle? I could care less about the speeders. The devs will balance the game over time. All I want for Christmas in 2018 is a battle bay controller.

Riddlerpaji, PastelPiku and Ability6 like this.
  7. Help I Cant Swim

Help I Cant Swim MVP

Have you tried resizing the buttons/joysticks? My joysticks are huge and almost impossible to miss.

Also.........

[​IMG]

_devill, TTrain and Aquaholic like this.
  8. Radar O Reilly

I'm at size 1.4. I think I will increase the rudder to 2. Good suggestion. Thx.
    I have a problem with aiming if I use 2. The buttons become too crowded.

Back from the dead indeed. I was curious if there is momentum to support a game controller. I looked way back when I started play and was hoping there was more support for it by now.
    I wonder if the devs can create a button layout that works well for a mapped controller so we can use one. Someone in another thread is using a mapped controller but has to still touch the screen to aim. There is no way I would do that. More often than not I am aiming a little off dead center.

9. YerJokinArnYer

YerJokinArnYer MVP

As I see it, to implement controllers you’d need:
    One stick to move
    One stick to aim
    A way of changing which item you’re using
    A way of changing which ship you’re shooting at.
    A way of changing which way you’re looking
    A way of operating the ‘aim lock’ function.
    A way of being able to operate your battle commands
    I’m sure there would be other inputs you’d need too.

So, if you want controller support, can you suggest a way of mapping these controls onto your controller?

10. Radar O Reilly

I picked a radon controller from a google search. I don't have this controller or plan to buy it. Using the message feature is still touch screen. No big deal. The weapon buttons are the buttons on the front the controller not shown. There are two buttons per index finger on most controllers. Two trigger and two bump buttons. There are still four more buttons left on the top to map. I would use those for the more seldom used buttons. The most common load out items would be on the the triggers and then the two bumps.
    Heck. now that I am looking at this if these really can be mapped to screen taps the only one kind of funky is the attack. If the device can generate a tap-slide to issue the attack message then we are golden.

I think this is viable for sure. Probably more so now that I've looked at a bit more closely. Heck I might just get a mappable controller. Someone else does this already. With just a little help from the Devs I am sure this could be come more perverse and easier to setup. I wonder if there has been any standards published for this by Apple or the controller companies to level the playing field and map it available to all game controllers to compete for battle bay players money.

I bet battle bay makes enough money by now they could partner with a game controller to create a custom controller well suited for the game. I would definitely drop extra money to get one of those.

11. Radar O Reilly

dang. the picture I pasted into the message was dropped when I posted. here is the picture: Controller Mockup.png

12. Help I Cant Swim

Help I Cant Swim MVP

Honestly, using a controller sounds more difficult than using the touch screen. I really don't think it would give anybody a massive advantage due to the aiming mechanics. The movement might be a little better on a controller, but I feel like there would also be some disadvantages.

13. PastelPiku

PastelPiku Well-Known Member

Security
    There's gonna be pros and cons, but it would be cool if it were an option. Playing Battle Bay can get frustrating if it's a hot day and your hands are clammy, which will make most touchscreens extremely unresponsive.

14. Help I Cant Swim

Help I Cant Swim MVP

For me, I'd enjoy it just because I have a smaller phone. It would be nice to not block the screen with my thumbs.

15. Riddlerpaji

Riddlerpaji Active Member

U can use six axis controller app to play bb.
    Just have to map ur control and play. Works fine.
    I tried and only problem is camera sensitivity.