1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hey please check out our new forum Suggestions and Ideas found in the area "The Bay" - as we love all your ideas and want to collect them in one place, - please use it going forward. :) Thanks already for helping to make Battle Bay an even better experience. Remember: If your idea already exists - simply add your comment or like to an existing one so we avoid duplicates.
    Dismiss Notice

On the grind: My experience with this week's 3000 coin spree

Discussion in 'Game Discussion' started by TheAntiSnipe, 10 Dec 2018.

1. TheAntiSnipe

TheAntiSnipe Moon's haunted

Yeah, so I did it! Yeah, I ACTUALLY did it! I grinded out 3000 coins this week, ONE FULL DAY in advance.

It took me a lot of planning to determine how many coins per day I could farm if I tried super hard, and all the planning and the grinding paid off!(because let's be honest, ALL the teal items are damn good)

I got this!
    Screenshot_2018-12-09-21-24-24-647_com.rovio.battlebay.png

10.4 second debuff denial, INSANE in a teamfight, AND can be equipped on both Teal class ships!
    All things considered, it was probably the easiest legendary I've ever farmed.

My comments on this week's event:
    • Event was great, minespam, not so much. I skipped out of it by using my shooter.
    • All TDMs in general were weighted heavily towards brawlers, and of course, brawler is what I played!
    • Boxes? Oh boy. The piece boxes were ok-ok. The perk boxes were horrible. The RNG for those definitely needs a tweak, since getting USABLE perks at a higher level is nigh impossible.
    • Were 3000 coins on the grind really necessary? Not really, imho, but I'm happy that they didn't just give away legendary items.
    My main suggestion after seeing all this would be that, "Make event rewards scale with league." Because really, uncommon perks in Ace? Few will ever get around to buying.

2. Redneck Messiah

Redneck Messiah Well-Known Member

Ah yeah, this event was very kind to brawling shooters ;)
    And the boxes were improved VERY much, ship piece wise. The base drop being 100 vs 65 is a HUGE change that outweighs the higher drops going from 500, 5000 to 300, 3000. This change made farming so much easier... All my coins went into these babies.
    The idea of a legendary jackpot is nice, especially with this being a new color section, and literally everyone not named @American Marauder had to build new main items from scratch. I, unfortunately, don't have that kind of time on my lazy excuses for hands, but I was able to build some nice uncommons and rares with all the gold and sugar I got.
    Previous events have kind of disillusioned me with perk boxes, but it is nice to have a way to get teal item perks to help get your newly purchased, lower level items fighting fit.
    The Guardian and most of the Teal family were (and still are) an absolute joy to play with, and to review for my Redneck Reviews series. Excellent event, Rovio. This is the third new ship and the first new color group added since launch, but it went smoother than my long-scrapped gear lube.

Last edited: 10 Dec 2018
  3. TheAntiSnipe

100%. I agree that, with a small tweak here and there, this should be THE way to roll out new stuff.

4. Iunch

Iunch Active Member

I don't know how you did 3k. I'm on 2.1k after playing at i considered a lot (236 games). Having a job and a family means I would have to pay to get over the line, despite averaging 8.9 coins per battle, and that's probably their intention.
    The difference between 100 pieces costing 30 coins and 65 pieces costing 20 is so negligible that I don't know why they bothered. Sick of seeing 100 piece boxes so I switched to perks as they were only for the new items and I received 2 or 3 rare perks and fifty million uncommon.

Overall it felt like an underwhelming event, but I am looking forward to upgrading and using the new boat/items in a couple of years time

Ultrah, This Is Me, RACK STAR and 4 others like this.
  5. Iunch

Iunch Active Member

It's not though. For every 60 coins spent you're getting 200 pieces vs 195 with the high roll being worth significantly less.

Sidd gamer and Djradnad like this.
  6. Djradnad

Djradnad Well-Known Member

dang! you got the cleanse. thats what i wanted. i got a bolster, cant put it on my defender :(

7. TheAntiSnipe

A lot of strategic planning went into it, trust me. And more than a little "loss of normal life" too. I had to balance an already busy schedule of exam prep(also had a paper in the middle) and what I did was, when not studying, sleeping, exercising or eating, ALL I DID was play BB. Helps that I'm one of those stereotypical gamers with a full set of gamer friends, and literally NO social life(okay, that might be an exaggeration, but :p).

TL;DR Stopped watching anime for 5 days and claimed the prize. Painful, but worth it.

8. JoshW

JoshW Well-Known Member

Nice work!! I managed to scrape together a total of 1k coins just hitting that mark this morning. I did fairly well in battles and averaged 7/8 coins per battle. Playing a lot more than I usually do I still wasn't able to get the required 400+ coins per day for the legendary prize but I'm fairly happy with the rewards I did get. I was able to add a few levels to my interceptor which was nice.

Sidd gamer and TheAntiSnipe like this.
  9. BattleRascal

BattleRascal Well-Known Member

Another event (3000 coins in 7 days) that the end prize was unobtainable, thereby discouraging me from even trying to reach it. So for the most part I just played casually and didn't push at all, since there was nothing to gain by pushing.
    An actual Legendary Teal item is a great reward for 3000 coins of dedication(great work for those that got it!). But I would venture to say this was an impossible task for over 99% of BattleBay players.

10. Mad_Bulls_007

Mad_Bulls_007 Well-Known Member

This is what I could get. :oops: And I spent too much time to get to this mark. All I got is uncommon perks and 2 rare perks. What a rip off. :( Screenshot_20181210-211614.jpg

11. envylife

envylife Well-Known Member

Grinder's Bay it is.

12. benguin8

benguin8 Well-Known Member

They want it to be within reach and then just buy coins to make up the difference. Lame.

Iunch likes this.
  13. envylife

envylife Well-Known Member

They way I look at it is this: 3000 coins requires 50 hours of grinding in a week, which is more hours than a typical full time job requires. If you have an actual job (or a life) you're simply not getting those in, so most players will be falling short by a substantial amount of coins well over $100 worth. Those that are willing to pony up cash for half the coins are probably the same that would pony up cash for all 3000.

In other words, the Event system is not designed for simple coin top-off because $100 isn't simple top-off money. It's ok to make a life choice to grind for an event, but that's just one item on a ship with many items, and endless events. Long-term value proposition isn't there.

Ultrah, TheAntiSnipe, Reorge and 4 others like this.
  14. Djradnad

Djradnad Well-Known Member

It’s more like 40hrs. But I completely agree. A game shouldn’t be so demanding that it’s a full time job to play it.

15. Fish

Fish Well-Known Member

Funny, since the requirement for the event grand pride has gone to 400+ coins per day from 300 my play time has decreased. At 300/day I would push a little/stay up a little later to get it done, but 400+ is out of reach with my real life commitments so I dont even try. I think I ended up averaging about 220/day on this event - well below what I used to do with lower requirements.

And to be honest I’m a bit happy about it. I don’t think most other players are finishing either - so I’m not falling behind. I definitely play this game too much, so any decrease is probably healthy :)

envylife and Djradnad like this.
  16. What's Up Player

What's Up Player Well-Known Member

And I truly believed that I spent too much on the game this week..

Screenshot_20181210-172032.jpg

17. fragglelator

fragglelator Active Member

I only got up to 480 coins and had 27 unused coins expire. If Rovio could bring back the "unused coins rollover" aspect, at least I (and possibly 99% of Battle Bay players) can grind with a goal in mind.

Riddlerpaji, XQT and TheAntiSnipe like this.
  18. TheAntiSnipe

Did some calculation, it took me a total of 1+(6×5)+3=34 hours.

Djradnad likes this.
  19. TheAntiSnipe

+I was playing a super optimal game, scoring 8 coin losses and 10 coin wins for about 60-70% of the time. Meaning that this event was IMPOSSIBLE for players with less skill if they put in less than my number of hours.

20. SpatulaOfLove

SpatulaOfLove Member

This was my result after forgoing 7 days of real life responsibilities. Every moment I could, I was grinding out battles 4-5 hours a day. My average coin take wasn't as high as others, but I put in the blood sweat and tears trying to get to 3k.

What do I have to show for it? ONE rare perk. Oh and the loss of 27 coins I couldn't squeeze in another battle to get over the line.

This sucks!

People shouldn't have to work so damned hard to progress in a game.

The reward system is seriously brokfuct and I won't be trying anymore.

Attached Files: