1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hey please check out our new forum Suggestions and Ideas found in the area "The Bay" - as we love all your ideas and want to collect them in one place, - please use it going forward. :) Thanks already for helping to make Battle Bay an even better experience. Remember: If your idea already exists - simply add your comment or like to an existing one so we avoid duplicates.
    Dismiss Notice

New Type of Mortar

Discussion in 'Suggestions & Ideas' started by Mr. Chompers, 17 Dec 2017.

?

Would this be a good idea?

1. Yes

2. No

3. With some tweaks

4. What is a mortar?

Multiple votes are allowed.
Results are only viewable after voting.
  1. Mr. Chompers

Mr. Chompers Well-Known Member

Because Big Berta is one of my favorite weapons, I was doing some research on mortars. I watched some videos of mortars being fired, and their rate of fire is insanely fast. (youtu.be/TfzyFvZzIH0)
    My proposition is a mortar that has the cooldown of the standard cannon, blast radius slightly smaller than that of the standard mortar, and range of a standard mortar, also, one slot. But, it would be inaccurate. Say it has 4 rings, it would always be in the 3 center ones.
    mortar01.png
    mortar02.png
    Would this work?

The Otherguy likes this.
  2. Mr. Chompers

youtu.be/ytQxZHbt1nE

3. _devill

_devill Well-Known Member

LMAO.....saw that video....it will be a disaster. :D

Mr. Chompers and The Otherguy like this.
  4. _devill

I guess it could work. There is one problem though. Mortars in general are not that effective throughout the game. At higher infamy players know how to dodge mortars so the inaccuracy might make it useless. Also the smaller blast radius will add to the problem. I mean a ballpark has a huge blast radius which helps it to connect much easier than say LRM or standard one.
    If we put some epic cool down perks on standard or LRM mortars will they become more effective with the low cool down time? You may be able to spam with a couple on your ship but it's still a mortar and will suffer from the basic drawbacks anyway.

The Otherguy and Mr. Chompers like this.
  5. Rinse & Repeat

Rinse & Repeat Well-Known Member

Maybe it can work like a missile launcher with only one missile... small effect radius, not necessarily inaccurate in a way that is out of the player's control (based on this information you could miss with good aiming) because then many players would be afraid to use such a weapon.... I think it should do small damage but like you said have a fast reload... we'll call it "The Peashooter".

6. _devill

Well if projectile speed is greater than standard or LRM it might actually be effective. Guess I'm changing my vote. :)

7. vis1234567899

vis1234567899 Well-Known Member

so maybe a mortar that shoots but the area where it is going to be hit is grey so neither side knows whose it is. Sometime si never know which torps are whose.
    However the mortar should have drwbacks like smaller damage than big bertha yet being a two slot item or lower range

Mr. Chompers likes this.
  8. Rinse & Repeat

I don't agree with the gray part... Mortars are the ONLY weapon that tell you whether or not they are friendly before they hit you... so I don't think it would be good to make it so this new mortar doesn't do that... but this mortar needs a special ability maybe being able to turn off Tesla shields... think about it Tesla shields would be easier to hit with a single shot peashooter mortar like this and since it does little damage it could use a good ability like this to make it more appealing to players...

Mr. Chompers and vis1234567899 like this.
  9. _devill

It will be okay to have less damage given the advantages over other mortars but it should be a 1 slot item. Even with less range it will be good to have one with you without affecting your usual load out so you can swap out a standard/ballpark/LRM without any conflicts or major changes to your setup.

10. Rinse & Repeat

Things to be careful of/take into consideration:
    -Reload Time/Cooldown: Can't be too fast other wise damage output could be dangerous, can't be too slow because then it won't be able to compete in damage.
    -Crew Training and special ability(whether its the gray thing or the Tesla shield thing idk): Crew training- when the ability is unlocked and the bonuses it would get...
    -Range- Is it going to have short, medium or long range?
    -Projectile Speed(Fast,Medium, Or long) since it does low damage and small area effect... I would say short or medium projectile speed...
    -Radius- I believe we agreed on small but how small? I vote missile launcher small or maybe smaller ML is 1.5 so maybe 1?

vis1234567899 and Mr. Chompers like this.
  11. Mr. Chompers

I would like it to have at least the size of ml.

vis1234567899 likes this.
  12. vis1234567899

wait have new weapons ever been added since beta release?

Last edited by a moderator: 17 Dec 2017
    Mr. Chompers likes this.
  13. The Otherguy

The Otherguy Well-Known Member

Tech support
    This would be much more effective (imo) on non-shooter classes with such a short cool-down. Keep that in mind.

Rinse & Repeat and Mr. Chompers like this.
  14. Mr. Chompers

15. TheAntiSnipe

TheAntiSnipe Moon's haunted

1. Excannon got added. Imagine Blacktail with one. He would have the time of his life.
    2. @Nedhudir the random radius makes it well balanced for a oneslot. +1!

16. Mr. Chompers

17. Mr. Chompers

One more bump, anyone else got feedback?

18. vis1234567899

i feel we should just buff an existing mortar or change one slightly to get more people to use mortars

19. Miku Da Yo 39

Miku Da Yo 39 Well-Known Member

I think the new mortar should be like Missile and have multiple projectiles. HOWEVER the way the projectiles land is like this.
    Once you hit fire, it fires a sequence of 5 projectiles. All 5 will hit the same spot, however they each have a delay before the next one hits.
    Details:

Barrage Mortar:
    Damage: similar to carronade
    Radius: 2
    CD: 11.1
    DPS: ? x maximum of 5 projectiles

Mr. Chompers likes this.
  20. PastelPiku

PastelPiku Well-Known Member

Security
    A weak, inaccurate mortar with the cooldown of a cannon. We shouldn't be talking damage, folks. Let's talk about just how useful this could be.

While the inaccuracy of this mortar might make some of its users not want to use it, it would be a fine harassment tool. Use two of them and you could constantly bombard the enemy team from above, forcing them to take cover. Even if the damage is low, it's got to be scary.

You could even pair it with a cannon to alternate between the two. Speeders and low tier enforcers might like this very much.

Mr. Chompers and TheAntiSnipe like this.