1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hey please check out our new forum Suggestions and Ideas found in the area "The Bay" - as we love all your ideas and want to collect them in one place, - please use it going forward. :) Thanks already for helping to make Battle Bay an even better experience. Remember: If your idea already exists - simply add your comment or like to an existing one so we avoid duplicates.
    Dismiss Notice

New Players Do Not Stand A Chance

Discussion in 'Strategy Discussion' started by StormMagnus, 17 Apr 2018.

1. StormMagnus

StormMagnus New Member

For new players, they cannot stand a chance when others drop their infamy and then completely own the bay like this. Please fix match making to suit Gear Score and not Infamy. New players will be discouraged and quit.

Attached Files:

FearsomeChicken likes this.
  2. Da Carronade King

Da Carronade King Well-Known Member

Seducer
    Yes this has been happening for months now and it hasnt really be solved. Having mk used in matchmaking only helped a tiny bit, it made u more likely to have at least one ship at ur mk on the other team but the main problem is still there.

FearsomeChicken and TheAntiSnipe like this.
  3. StormMagnus

StormMagnus New Member

I really like the game quite a bit. It is just frustrating exchanging shots and getting 'one shot' killed and you barely scratch them with a 15% damage shot.

4. Da Carronade King

Seducer
    Yes I know. I got a mini and used it for a few days. I ended up getting killed really quickly and while I do damage them greatly, its so boring when u get killed really quickly so I kinda gave it up.

5. TheAntiSnipe

TheAntiSnipe Moon's haunted

Well, mate, the only reassurance we can give you is that it gets saner after Master 1...

6. Da Carronade King

Seducer
    If u get past Master 1. Its really hard, I still havent done it.

7. YerJokinArnYer

YerJokinArnYer MVP

I sympathise with your situation and I hope that things start to get better for you. Whilst it is difficult, take it as a compliment that you are strong enough in your other matches that you get put into matches like this.

Whilst I understand why you would say that they should include gear score in matchmaking (and when it was pure infamy, players started asking for infamy to be included). But what we’ve found is that when these things get added, it makes things worse, not better.

I’ll explain. Say you have a ship with a gear score of 5000, and you suddenly get lucky and get a legendary weapon of your choice which raises your infamy to 5500. You would expect that due to having a better weapon that you’d win more matches in the short term and that your infamy would rise. But what actually happens is that rather than being balanced against ships of 5000 infamy, you now get matched against ships of 5500 infamy, so your odds of winning games does not increase and you do not gain infamy. (It works the same with the game using ship level rather than gear score, but this time when you get a better ship you get balanced against ships of the same level, and so your chances of increasing infamy do not increase).

What many players would like is a pure infamy matchmaking system. This would mean that anyone who improves their ship or gear should see a rise in their infamy, which would result in fewer high powered ships being seen at lower infamy levels.

Anyway, as I said, I hope things get better for you and that you continue to enjoy playing the game. :)

8. vis1234567899

vis1234567899 Well-Known Member

But then a pure infamy system would just cause people to grind resources to rank up and sometimes they might throw matches just to do as many matches as possible.

Da Carronade King likes this.
  9. YerJokinArnYer

YerJokinArnYer MVP

I’m sorry, I don’t understand. The situation that you describe can happen no matter what matchmaking system is used can’t it?

I think the only way to solve that issue is to have a rewards system where you can get more rewards from making a small damage contribution at a higher level than you can from making a large damage contribution at a lower infamy level. (And so it is a rewards issue, not a matchmaking issue).

10. vis1234567899

vis1234567899 Well-Known Member

Yes I understand. I am just saying a pure infamy system would still have problems.

Da Carronade King likes this.
  11. YerJokinArnYer

YerJokinArnYer MVP

Yes, there are still problems with a pure matchmaking system, which I think come down to players perceptions rather than actual unfairness.

Say you have a match where everyone was 2000 infamy. One team was all mk5, and the other all mk6s. Theoretically the mk6s would have stronger ships, and the mk5s should have better skills (that’s why they all would have 2000 infamy) but overall they would be balanced. However, the mk5 players would look at the match as think it was unfair. They can only see that the opposition has better ships. They can’t see that their team has better skills. Again, theoretically, if you played that match 10 times, each team should win 5 games each (ignoring factors such as some maps being better for certain ships than others etc).

And that is the exact situation that we once had before ship level was introduced. But then players complained because of their perception of the unfairness, and so the matchmaking was changed.

However, if the same match took place under the current matchmaking system (with ship level included in matchmaking - I know it actually couldn’t due to balancing but just go with the hypothesis), the mk6s would win hands down about 90% of the time. And that is the perversion of the current system - two ships of the same infamy but different ship levels should be equally effective in battle, but they’re not. (It’s like saying two teams in the NFL with 7&3 records are equally as good. They aren’t necessarily, it depends upon the strength of the other teams in their divisions who they have to play more frequently).

Sorry to go on, I like talking about matchmaking. :)

12. Mr.Barraza

Mr.Barraza New Member

You are right about your opinion of skill against gear... but like me.... we're not talking about a single Mk level of difference.... I'm at lvl 16 (just hit it) but I'm still and MK 2... and I have been involved on battles against 2 MK6... or whole team of MK 5 no matter how good skills I have... an MK5 just need direct shot to get an easy kill... makes things unfair... but yeah... the gear score match making may bring more problems.... but a balanced gear score may give and entretainful game... only problem i see it's possibility of and MK 2 can reach an 3000+ infamy with out problem and that's not fair neither... so a fair solution should be made.... but actually it's hard to think on one.... just hope developers find out something for next update.... but I personally think its a wreck on the whole game with out solution...

13. Mr.Barraza

Mr.Barraza New Member

Maybe block stronger ships infamy would be a solution to not let them to participate agains lowers ships

14. Miathan

Miathan Well-Known Member

The new player experience has always been a weak point of this game's systems. Progression through the early levels is faster than it used to be though (due to stuff like guild quests and experience gain per battle), so it's best to not be bothered too much by it and grind out those upgrades. Before you know it, you'll be mk3.

YerJokinArnYer likes this.
  15. R@jith anand

R@jith anand Well-Known Member

Is this fair?
    When I was mk2 speeder my infamy is about 800... In fight house my team mk5 or mk4 defender just hit by big torpedo... It's not a big lose for him but my health is just little above 1k... I just stand behind him... My ship get bursted...
    Another one thing...
    That time I just get shot by mk5 shooter with ex cannon.... Critical hit.... My ship...
    Is this my mistake? A small difference does not affect the battles... But this type of huge difference....

AdmiralChris likes this.
  16. YerJokinArnYer

YerJokinArnYer MVP

Is it fair? No it’s not fair that a ship can be killed by one shot. Many players acknowledge there is a problem, and sympathise with you.

When in battles with high mark ships, as a speeder try to employ more ‘hit and run’ type tactics. Your aim should be to distract the enemy enough so that they can’t fully concentrate on your teammates (who will do the majority of damage in the game), but not attract so much attention that more than one gun is aimed at you at any one point in time.

However, you have learned one important lesson that all players learn the hard way, don’t get too close to teammates (especially when big torps are flying about). Obviously you will improve as a player as a result of that experience as you won’t repeat it :)

TheAntiSnipe and R@jith anand like this.
  17. _devill

_devill Well-Known Member

The thing to always keep in mind in these situations is that these players have been at a particular infamy range "managing infamy" so they don't get into tougher battles.

The problem with this mind set is that this is a competitive game which means if you are not going up, you are not going anywhere. Pooling at a certain infamy and getting epic t5's will not get these guys beyond Ace 3. They will still have to learn how games are in higher leagues where everyone has same epic t5's and are much better at using them.

As many members suggested, just keep the grind going and move up. Leave the champions of the lower leagues where they are. It's actually satisfying to see a player who was a mk5 when you were a mk3 at the same infamy and as time passes you are leagues above the same player who was stupid enough to end up bullying newbies at the same infamy and thinking they are pros.

YerJokinArnYer likes this.