1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hey please check out our new forum Suggestions and Ideas found in the area "The Bay" - as we love all your ideas and want to collect them in one place, - please use it going forward. :) Thanks already for helping to make Battle Bay an even better experience. Remember: If your idea already exists - simply add your comment or like to an existing one so we avoid duplicates.
    Dismiss Notice

NEW EVENT: Combines TDM & CTF!!!

Discussion in 'Game Discussion' started by SykleDrop, 13 Aug 2018.

?

Would you want to play a 'Sunk My Battleship' event as described?

1. Hells Yeah!!

3 vote(s)
    27.3%
  2. Yeah, but with a few tweaks...

8 vote(s)
    72.7%
  3. Seriously? No, it's a dud...

1 vote(s)
    9.1%
  4. I like buttered toast becasue my dad has a shovel...

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
Multiple votes are allowed.
  1. SykleDrop

SykleDrop Member

Rather than having a capture circle, each team has their own (similar to the CTF mode) BUT, it becomes a home ‘base’ or ‘mother ship’, if you will. The purpose of the match is to destroy the other team’s ‘base ship’. Home base would be a large ship or a ‘command post’ of sorts with something in the neighborhood of 25k(+/-) health.

In this mode, there will still be the ship to ship fighting as teams must fight to protect their own ‘base ship’. Players that make it to the opposing ‘base ship’ will be tasked with destroying said ‘base ship’. Fixers can choose to either heal the players defending the base or heal the ‘base ship’ itself. Pulse, bolt and box could all heal the home base just as it would any given teammate.

This setup would integrate well into the current mapping system and capture the flag mode. Rather than the capture the flag circle, those locales would be the setting for each team’s ‘base ship’.

NOTE: Possible flukes I see this far are:
    Mine flooding. Players getting close enough could throw mines at the base but since the home base can’t move to avoid damage legendary mines could make quick work of it.
    *Possible Fix* Either do a 1 mine expl./xx secs OR put a small safe zone (equivalent to a 2-3 range) around the base where mines only land outside the zone (similar to the CTF circle).

Distant Mortar Rain. Same as mines Just from a distance with Bertas.
    *Possible Fix* Have the base ship moderately covered. Obviously players that can craft an accurate mortar should get rewarded for the effort so there should be certain ‘sweet spots’ where Bertas & such can fall, but the idea is to encourage skill shots rather than easy distance shots.

Thoughts?
    Keep in mind: I’m not a developer & this is just an idea... but with enough feedback (assuming the idea is well-received, of course), we could possibly encourage implementation. Please leave feedback; good and bad; and any issues, improvements, possible loopholes, etc... Thanks for the feedback and happy hunting!

2. Djradnad

Djradnad Well-Known Member

My thoughts;
    Spawn
    Aim towards their base
    Fire railgun
    Fire railgun
    Fire railgun
    Win

SykleDrop likes this.
  3. Djradnad

Djradnad Well-Known Member

Suggestion;
    If their base was just a little target on the backside of a wall. And it still required a lot of damage to break it could work. Mines would need cooldown reduced same as ctf. But the game would probably just end up as tdm like most people seem to think regular matches are

SykleDrop likes this.
  4. SykleDrop

SykleDrop Member

hahaha.... obviously there would have to be some protection available to prevent this. Smaller target, tucked away of sorts, etc. Plus ideally, the total health would have to be substantial enough to sustain hits as such. Even if the home base had a slow self-healing recovery characteristic. Plus, for those of us that play with higher damage weapons, the fixers in our league have bolts and such equivocal so they could repair onslaughts. No?

Djradnad likes this.
  5. Trevor Falk

Trevor Falk New Member

I like the idea, an alternative to CTF, and would love to see a prototype drawing for this base “Mother Ship”. And maybe have a force field like feature to it that you’d have to penetrate first before doing the real damage to it. And yes mines would not be able to damage the stationary Mother ship, and if thrown onto it, they would just disappear, just like they do when thrown onto a wall or something. Nice ideas guys, keep ‘em comin and we just might have a new idea for the events!

SykleDrop likes this.
  6. Trevor Falk

Trevor Falk New Member

Oh and maybe instead of having a fixed area for the Mother ship, make it to where both teams have to search for it it first (while fighting each other in the process) so people don’t just automatically go running straight for it every single time. Like “who ever is faster gets there first” crap. Or at least have the teams search for some sort of area button or switch that will make the mother ship appear.

TheAntiSnipe, SykleDrop and Djradnad like this.
  7. SykleDrop

SykleDrop Member

In thinking further about this, I have come up with a few additional tweaks that apply, plus some feedback I have received from players at all levels have given a few other considerations.

Draws: The obvious idea is to have a clear cut winner. Players in lower levels fear they would never be able to get up to the 25k (personally I think the damage would add up quicker than they realize); higher ranked players may be able to knock 25k out quickly. The solution to the following potential issues would likely resolve this issue...

Fixer posting: If both teams have a fixer that can throw 1,500 health bolts and have 120+ pulses, Fixer posting could cause stale-mates.

My solution would be to add 2 smaller bases (3 total) each having 12k health (see attached image below). These smaller ones being close enough that a well placed bolt can heal it but far enough away that a pulse can’t hit 2 at a time.

First to destroy all 3 bases wins, OR at the end of the match, whoever destroyed more wins. This would encourage movement by fixers and allow lower rated players to still have achievable base destructions

Then there’s the risk of big torp overloads.

My solution for this would be relatively simple. Randomly placed rocks in front of home base (placed slightly away from the base) would prevent 60% of damage if torps hit the rock and 40% damage done by proximity, but a well-placed torp that made it through the openings would do 100%

Having one large and 2+/- small bases would give more context for a clear winner, encourage more fixer mobility, and create just enough chaos to make it exciting.

Mock Event Pic.png

Last edited: 13 Aug 2018
    Trevor Falk likes this.
  8. TheAntiSnipe

TheAntiSnipe Moon's haunted

This is starting to become Vainglory lol
    I like this one, sounds cool as heck

SykleDrop and Trevor Falk like this.
  9. SeaNavy

SeaNavy Well-Known Member

Healing items should have something like 70% less effect on motherships. And the hp of the motherships should vary depending on the average gearscore of the players. But other than that, I like the idea

Trevor Falk likes this.
  10. Trevor Falk

Trevor Falk New Member

Absolutely, that’s a must for both ideas. Thanks for your input.

SykleDrop likes this.
  11. SykleDrop

SykleDrop Member

All good ideas. Selfishly; I want the fixers to be able to heal for full effect just to counter-act the beastly rail guns; torps; and Bertas; but ultimately - the basis for any game is to have a clear winner so having a reduced healing affect is sensible!