1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hey please check out our new forum Suggestions and Ideas found in the area "The Bay" - as we love all your ideas and want to collect them in one place, - please use it going forward. :) Thanks already for helping to make Battle Bay an even better experience. Remember: If your idea already exists - simply add your comment or like to an existing one so we avoid duplicates.
    Dismiss Notice

My fire nerf idea

Discussion in 'Suggestions & Ideas' started by What's Up Player, 14 Aug 2018.

1. What's Up Player

What's Up Player Well-Known Member

Short version of the post:
    • You can receive as much fire bonus damage as the fire weapons itself does
    Example:
    1. Flare hit for 2000 damage
    2. Blast for 1300 (normal damage) + 900 (bonus damage)
    3. Blast for 1300 + 900
    4. Blast for 1300 + 200
    5. Blast for 1300 + 0.
    But that's unlikely, in normal game it would look like (from Enforcer point of view):
    1. Flare for 2000
    2. Blast for 1300 + 900
    3. Blast for 1300 + 900
    4. Flare for 2000
    5. Blast for 1300 + 900
    6. Blast for 1300 + 900
    7. And so on.

(I'm gonna demonstrate on flare, but all of this applies to all fire weapons also)

One flare hit doesn't deal only its own damage, but it's responsible for all the bonus damage you receive through the cannons. Together it can go up to thousands of damage, which is game-changing.

Now let's imagine, it all happens because of 1 item. You get by a flare, which deals let's say 2000 damage, and then 3 times with BC/EC, each dealing bonus damage of 1000. You just received 5000 damage because of the flare hit. We can say, the flare cost you 5000 of hotpoints.

What if the flare hit would cost you only the damage it's supposed to? That's what my idea works like:
    • We could understand flare like an amount of bonus damage - in a stored value
    • Each time you get hit by a cannon of any type while burning, the BONUS damage of the hit is being subtracted from the value.
    • You receive bonus damage until the value is 0 - flare stopped its effect - stopped burning.
    Hope doesn't sound super complicated, but if it does, here I have example for you:
    1. You get hit by a 2000 damage flare. The value is 2000, flare starts to tick by 100 damage for 20 seconds.
    2. 3 seconds after, you get hit by a blast cannon. It deals 2000 damage, out of that, 1000 is fire bonus damage. Now, 1000 is substrated from the value, meaning it is 2000-1000-3*100, which is 700 (3*100 comes from 3 ticks between the two hits). Flare timer resets, it's still ticking by 100 damage, but now for 7 seconds (so the 700 would slowly go away without any cannon hit).
    3. At the 6th second from the flare hit, where the value is 700-(6-3)*100, which is 400, you get another hit. The damage is 1000, bonus damage should be 1000 also, but the value is only 400. The shot ergo deals 1400 damage instead of 2000 and flare stops ticking - the value is 0.
    It could be simply understood as a glass of water. The water itself slowly goes away with the time, but when you're thirsty, you drink a part of it. It can be done again and again until the glass is empty. (And then you refill and start again).

I honestly believe this would make the impact, the fire has on the game nowadays, less significant, people would have to start playing more strategically using their combo.

Edit: see my improved idea below.

Last edited: 17 Aug 2018
  2. SeaNavy

SeaNavy Well-Known Member

This would basically get rid of combo because you wouldn't actually get any bonus damage.

3. SupremeCalamitas

SupremeCalamitas Well-Known Member

I don't think it's your business
    I think this would introduce better skill shots. Like so:

2 sec remaining on fire. Shoot blast cannon. Hit. 1000 extra damage from fire. Total extra damage: 800.

But skill shots aside, yes, this would completely [ruin] the combo, and kill flare altogether.

Last edited by a moderator: 17 Aug 2018
    TheRedSpeeder likes this.
  4. Ash KOT

Ash KOT MVP

You misunderstood.
    The OP is saying the damage with cannon bonus can not be higher than the flares max damage.
    So in your example with 2 seconds left, if the flare ticks for 70, it will have 140 damage left to output, so if your blasty would have normally got 1000 extra damage from fire, instead it will get 140.

This would absolutely kill all fire items, might as well just carry all cannons.
    The combo is what makes these items worth running.

5. What's Up Player

It might be too harsh. What if the flare damage isn't cut off?
    What I mean, flare ticking would be independent of the value it has. It would still deal the damage it's supposed to.

Now, every player would have its own "glass". Hitting by a adds to the glass the damage amount.

How would it work?
    1. You get hit by a flare. No matter what, it deals 2000 damage. Your "glass" has value of 2000.
    2. At whatever time later, you get hit by a blast for 2000 damage, out of that 1000 bonus one, meaning glass has now only value of 1000.
    3. You get hit by another flare, your glass has value of 3000 now.
    4. Etc
    5. Until you glass is empty.
    This would be more fair to the fire itself.

6. SupremeCalamitas

Confusion defined.

English, Spanish, mathematics, or science only please. Not stuff about glasses

SlayerofSergeants likes this.
  7. What's Up Player

It's a reference to my first post in this thread, where I said it would work like a glass of water :D

8. PastelPiku

PastelPiku Well-Known Member

Security
    The only reasonable nerf, if any, is towards its own damage or duration. It has to keep its bonus damage to fulfill its purpose.

9. #CK

#CK Active Member

drone pilot
    agree , +1

TheAntiSnipe likes this.
  10. SupremeCalamitas

killing fire, eh? Luckily I have an ex cannon for emergencies... but all the materials I will have wasted on my flare gun and fire bomb... too high.

FIRE IS PERFECTLY BALANCED. JUST GIT GUD.

11. Shadow Moon!

Shadow Moon! Well-Known Member

You can't nerf damage or duration.
    Reason: Tesla Shields.

12. Ser Tomaz

Ser Tomaz Active Member

No, that's just too much. Let defence points reduce fire dmg is better (not 1 by 1).

13. SeaNavy

What if each defense point reduces fire duration by 0.1 seconds? This will achieve three things at once:
    • Nerf fire
    • Buff defender
    • Make defense stats more useful
    The defense will still be reducing damage.

Last edited: 16 Aug 2018
  14. Shadow Moon!

So flare will be a point damage weapon and it will recieve the point damage boost from brock, buzzkill etc. That will buff flare not nerf it.

15. SeaNavy

No, fire will still be an incendiary weapon, but just it's duration will be shortened by defense. It won't receive point damage boosts.

16. Shadow Moon!

Flare is neither incendiary nor a point damage weapon. Its a DoT( damage over time) weapon. In order to apply defence reduction you need to make it a point damage weapon and make defence point reduce its damage.

17. Joey who

Joey who Well-Known Member

Fire is in need of some nerfing. But not directly. Flare gun is perfectly fine as it's own weapon. But I think ALL trainings that bhurt has for fire need to be changed to damage for all cannons. And if people want a fire boost on their cannons they need to rock 4 fire perks. This is the ONLY way you can reasonably nerf fire.

FearsomeChicken likes this.
  18. SupremeCalamitas

Running only fire perks is EXTREMELY risky, as your fire missing means that your cannon doesn't do [anything].

But lol people will just hav to lead their shots

Last edited by a moderator: 17 Aug 2018
  19. NoTtIaN

NoTtIaN Well-Known Member

Make posts
    there is a thing GenkiGamers talked about as a speeder: burst damage

20. NoTtIaN

NoTtIaN Well-Known Member

Make posts
    fine, then make the glass only take 50%
    the flare does 2000
    blast does 2000
    the extra dmg from fire is 1000
    the flare 'does' 500 less damage, (1/2 of extra blast dmg)