1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hey please check out our new forum Suggestions and Ideas found in the area "The Bay" - as we love all your ideas and want to collect them in one place, - please use it going forward. :) Thanks already for helping to make Battle Bay an even better experience. Remember: If your idea already exists - simply add your comment or like to an existing one so we avoid duplicates.
    Dismiss Notice

My Experience With the Reaper (Redneck Reviews part I)

Discussion in 'Strategy Discussion' started by Redneck Messiah, 12 Nov 2018.

1. Redneck Messiah

Redneck Messiah Well-Known Member

This is the first post in Redneck Messiah's series of new content reviews.
    Complete series library: https://forum.battlebay.net/threads/redneck-reviews-library.23565/#post-190946

As I've posted elsewhere on these forums, I managed to obtain a level four Reaper last week. I decided today to take this ship into ranked matches with boats in the high 30s to low 40s in terms of level. Here's what I found.

During Reaper TDM, I played with a "Melee Reaper", using a grenade, carronade, nitro, OB, twin tape, small shield, and turbo. I used this to great effect in charging weakened enemies. For healthier Reapers, this may still be a viable setup, but for me (3490 with shield), it isn't. I discovered as much pretty quickly.

I decided to then swap my 'nade and my other 'nade for a pair of sniper cannons. My plan was to sit in the back and cover my teammates, using speed items to dodge enemy attacks and tape to counter opposing snipers. This setup is quite viable, even for low level Reapers like myself. I was able to use this setup to great effect on maps like Damage Depot, Dropdead Gorge, and Destruct 9, where there is a wide central lane with little cover from my snipy bois.

Since long range Reaper setups were treating me nice, I swapped my snipers for a swift torp and a tri torp, intending to sit in the back and spam those torpedoes until the cows come home. My first attempt was almost ruined by a suicidal melee speeder who double nitroed at me and pecked me with a flare, but I've got teammates for that lol. Anyways, the torp spam Reaper is not the worst way to go, as long as you've got friendlies to help you win those close range battles.

Following a few games of this, a thought struck me. I already ruled out a low-level melee Reaper for offense, but suppose I used it for DEFENSE? As it happens, a fast, agile, self-healing ship outfitted with a grenade and carronade is EXCELLENT for protecting Fixers or holding down a capture zone, and might be a viable defense class for CTF (though I can't test that now, can I?) Anyways, offensive melee Reaper may be idiotic for low levels (and suicidal melee Reaper is idiotic for everyone lol), but defensive melee Reaper can be put to good use by anyone.

This concludes my afternoon of screwing around with the Emo Fixer. I may update this thread if I find another strat, and of course you guys are welcome to post your own loadouts or feedback to this post. See you on the Bay!

Overall opinion: Pretty good ship for dealing a bit of damage, staying alive, and distracting.
    Redneck Rating:* * * *

Last edited: 16 Dec 2018
  2. Redneck Messiah

Redneck Messiah Well-Known Member

In the above post, I stated that I would update this thread with new loadouts. This one is definitely one for the more advanced players among us, as it requires sacrificing a large amount of the mobility many Reapers favor. However, I found this configuration absolutely devastating if played well.
    I have lovingly nicknamed this setup the Debuffer. It retains turbo, small shield, and dual tapes, while equipping a flare, blast cannon, frost blaster, and Tesla bolt. This combo is able to deal with a variety of enemy strategies. Got a buff Defender or pulsing Fixer? Burn 'em. Speeders and Enforcers dancing on your mates? Freeze 'em. Shooters or Interceptors spamming their precious torpedoes? Stun 'em. My blast cannon has a chill perk and a damage to burning targets perk, making it even more effective with these items.
    While it can be tempting to brawl, keep in mind that, as an OB/nitroless Reaper, you will NOT have the agility/speed (and often health) to take on enemies up close.This goes for Enfos in particular, as I learned lol. Carronades can be deadly to this setup if you make the mistake of coming too close. It's better to stay in attacking range, but at a safe distance, and keep those tapes ready. With reduced speed, you will need them.
    Try the Debuffer... if you dare...

JoshW, Elyport, Sewah and 1 other person like this.