1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hey please check out our new forum Suggestions and Ideas found in the area "The Bay" - as we love all your ideas and want to collect them in one place, - please use it going forward. :) Thanks already for helping to make Battle Bay an even better experience. Remember: If your idea already exists - simply add your comment or like to an existing one so we avoid duplicates.
    Dismiss Notice

mk5 setup help

Discussion in 'Strategy Discussion' started by USS Ironsides, 29 Oct 2017.

1. USS Ironsides

USS Ironsides Member

Hello, i need some help with my shooter.
    I was finally able to upgrade to tier5 shooter a couple of days ago and im not doing so good. Im not sure if its me or my team mates i keep getting but i do k]notice im dealing less damage than when i was a mk4. My aim is okish but on a good day i can get around 5k damage with the maximum of 7k
    my mk4 had a cannon, sniper,standard mortar and long range mortar with big shield and bandage.
    I have still kept the cannon,sniper,long range mortar, standard and big shield.
    i swapped bandage with turbo to see how it goes.
    I dont know if its my setup or something else but i cant seem to do enough damage and none of my weapons help me win and im dropping badly.
    I prefer long range cause i dont like to get hit but i do enjoy 1v1 bouts especially with my sniper crit.
    Please help me find the right setup or figure out if im even in the right ship, someone did tell me my playstyle may be more of a defender or enforcer but i dont know.

Attached Files:

2. EyeOfDoom

EyeOfDoom Well-Known Member

I'm not a shooter expert but I can pinpoint some things for you.
    a) You don't have any heavy weapons. That's a waste of shooter slots.
    b) standard cannon is a no no on a shooter.
    c) I don't know what that rare damage perk is on that cannon but if it's a cannon damage perk, why is that not on the blast cannon.
    d) multiple weapons from one tree means you have to splits talents. So you get 3 ok weapons than 1 good weapon.
    e) blast and sniper is a no no as far as I know because of same problem in pound d.
    f) ballpark and big Berta are the best mortars and you're not using any of them.

Basically what you wanna do as a shooter to pick one weapon from one tree. Then upgrade them all to their full potential.
    Try sniper, blast cannon, ballpark, big berta and firebomb. And don't start upgrading epics untill you get 4 copies. Rares will do fine and are easy to get.

3. TheAntiSnipe

TheAntiSnipe Moon's haunted

I suggest that you have two cannons, one long range and one short range, one AoE (Area of Effect) or DoT (Damage Over Time) weapon (try firebomb or napalm) and one VERY HEAVY weapon.

4. vis1234567899

vis1234567899 Well-Known Member

Try a torpedo out or use a Big Bertha for the very heavy weapon

5. USS Ironsides

USS Ironsides Member

TheAntiSnipe said: ↑

I suggest that you have two cannons, one long range and one short range, one AoE (Area of Effect) or DoT (Damage Over Time) weapon (try firebomb or napalm) and one VERY HEAVY weapon.

Try a torpedo out or use a Big Bertha for the very heavy weapon.
    I scrapped all torps and sold their epic perks, i cant hit anything with torps.

I have standard cannon because the small reload time and sniper/blast take to long to reload going against a speeder. Plus i figured i can hit twice with stand cannon and get more damage than hitting once with blast/sniper/explosive.
    I have standard mortar cause it does more damage than my ball park atm and long range mortar cause i dont want to get hit but ill try ballpark since more area does help me a bit i dont really aim well and a wider area would be good for me.I did use big berta but the reload time was just rediculous and i couldnt really hit them hard cause of aiming and range so i just removed it.

never used railgun but i heard its a pain to use so i dont use them

Last edited: 29 Oct 2017
    vis1234567899 likes this.
  6. vis1234567899

vis1234567899 Well-Known Member

yes but its better to have one very heavy weapon like a big torpedo, big bertha, railgun to utilise slots available. I actually use too many 2 slot weapons so are trying to get a few cannons.

7. USS Ironsides

USS Ironsides Member

True but at the moment none of the above do a lot of damage and are below what im already using.
    im using blast cannon because of a quest i have to finish up.

8. Disguised

Disguised Well-Known Member

I would say, combine the 3 flare guns to replace with the standard cannon.
    Also, a ballpark(your epic) would be better late game than a standard mortar, as people get really fast.
    You might want to use that big berta for heavy damage.
    P.S.You might want to scrap all of your yellow items.
    P.P.S. I'm in the same guild as you.

9. envylife

envylife Well-Known Member

First off, MK5 at level 29 seems to make you underpowered for a while... I learned that the hard way as I went on huge infamy swings over the first few weeks climbing up and then spiraling down hundreds of points in a day before I could put together 5 good weapons to stabilize my ability.
    Standard mortar is one that everyone recommends to not bother with because it excels at nothing really... there are other mortars with better range and better damage.
    I like to balance out my attack to have a weapon for every range... for close range use heavy canons (blast, explosive, standard), long range use mortars, railgun, torpedoes.. for the rest you'll want to pay attention to perks. For example if you want to use fire damage canon perks, equip a flare/napalm/fire bomb. some of the decision will have to come from what the RNG gives you... if you get three of an item it's a green light to seriously consider using it even if you planned on other weapons. If you have one or two, it's a roll of the dice whether you'll get enough to level up to where you need it to be. when you need them.

10. USS Ironsides

USS Ironsides Member

Im currently using grenade launcher as some one told me its good to use but idk its wonky.
    is flare gun still good to use though i dont really see ships using it cause they say its nerfed.

11. USS Ironsides

USS Ironsides Member

Does that mean i should scrap my sniper its not heavy hitting unless it crits then its great plus its long range.All there perks are cdit perks so it is at 22% crit.
    i branched sniper instead of blast cannon but i prefer blast cannon to explosive cause the speed is faster.
    Is grenade launcher better than flare gun?im currently using grenade and they both have the same cooldown time just different ranges.

12. jSwtch

jSwtch Member

• scrap every uncommon
    • sort inventory by rarity, then by type

Harsh Gupta Hulk likes this.
  13. Spinners71

Spinners71 Well-Known Member

My opinions:

It sounds like your playstyle is 100% in line with Shooter mentality. You want to sit back, not take lots of damage, shoot mortars and snipers, do lots of damage, and handle yourself in a 1v1 if it comes to that.

If you were doing well at mk4, and your infamy hasn't shifted a bunch, there's no reason you shouldn't do well at mk5. Make sure you don't accidentally feel "invincible" now with all your newly added HP, and then just relax, and ride out this unlucky streak. You'll have a positive streak if you truly play well enough to climb.

All that said, I believe there are still several changes you can make to give yourself a sharper edge. These are just my opinions, but, hopefully you find them helpful.

Move that Epic Turbo Perk from the Turbo in your inventory to the Turbo you're using.
    Move that Rare Crit Chance Perk from your Reg.Cannon in your inventory to the Reg.Cannon (or Blast Cannon) that you're using.
    Move that Rare Range Perk from the Grenade in your inventory to the Epic-11 Ballpark Mortar (which you're about to start using)...

Replace that Rare-26 Standard Mortar with that Epic-11 Ballpark Mortar I just mentioned. You already have the dupe to get that up to Epic-30! Prioritize leveling this item first. At Epic-30, it will be your best weapon.

Upgrade Bhurt to 20, so you can evolve that Sniper Cannon. Prioritize leveling this item too, once you evolve it.

Replace that Big Shield with the Epic-12 Bandage. If you can survive for at least 60-70 seconds after taking any damage, the Bandage will provide more HP than the shield. (This gets better the more you upgrade your Bandage.) Since you like to hang back a bit, I bet you can stay alive 70 seconds after taking damage. I know some will disagree with this suggestion. That's fine. Do what you want. I like Bandages, and just wanted to explain why.

Organize your inventory by color (red, blue, yellow, green items) so you have a better grasp of what you have, and what you can scrap.

Here's what I would immediately scrap:
    - If you really see yourself not playing anything but Shooter for a good long while, just scrap all your yellow/green items (frost, tesla, nitro, healing). (Well... keep any Epics or Epic Perks, like that Frost Launcher, and the Epic Frost Perk)
    - The Uncommon Standard Mortar. (You have a Rare-26 Standard Mortar already.)
    - The Uncommon Long Range Mortar. (You have an Epic-10 LRM already.)
    - The Uncommon Sniper Cannon. (You have a Rare-30 Sniper already.)
    - The Uncommon Fire Bomb. (You have 3 Rare Fire Bombs)
    - The 3 Rare Ballpark Mortars. You've gotten lucky getting so many Epic BPM's, and you've already begun investing in those, so, unless you want to run double-BPM someday, I'd scrap the 3 Rare ones.

If your inventory is so disorganized, I would venture to bet your talents were perhaps haphazardly selected too. Review each tree, and spend a few hours retraining to maximize the your current build.

Last edited: 1 Nov 2017
    vis1234567899 likes this.
  14. USS Ironsides

USS Ironsides Member

Here are my items and tree perks, i use the other ships as back up holding space as slots are getting expensive.
    ill scrap the uncommons but im waiting on some of the betters so i can put the perks in and im not in a real need for green parts so there is no rush.

Attached Files:

15. Joey who

Joey who Well-Known Member

Don't use sniper and blast cannon. Use 1 or the other (preferably sniper). The trainings for them are very much one or the other with those 2 items. I'd suggest sniper and ex cannon. Then you might want to add (or work on) missles, railgun or big berta

16. Babablacksheep

Babablacksheep Well-Known Member

I would upgrade that rare firebomb. I Prefer it over mortar any day. It will boost your Canon damage too. Another choice is your epic missile, Useful long-term, upgrade it without doubt if you get second epic duplicate

Stay way from standard mortar (USELESS) AND Firebomb /missile over Berta any day, so make sure you upgrade them.

17. USS Ironsides

USS Ironsides Member

Should i scrap my standard mortar then?
    also i prefer sniper but i have blast cannon because i dont have any heavy hitting weapons and rail gun is completely useless to me right now as its damage is low.
    Missle launcher: ill think about i never really thought of it as a damaging weapon because of the spread, great for groups but terrible on 1v1 basis.unless your shooting it to make the boat keep straight then it great for that.
    firebomb: i didnt really pick the fire perks and i wouldnt know what mortar to replace it with unless your saying i want to do sniper, bp mortarl, lr motar, firebomb,grenade/ex cannon/missle launcher.

18. USS Ironsides

USS Ironsides Member

If you see anything wrong with my trainer choices let me know.
    also i forgot to grab perks for my grenade launcher.
    also is 5% damage better than 10 extra points in damage?
    if you wish to see me play i can post it, maybe that will be better and help me with my shots. I believe i am a long range person since i dont like to get hit but i will chase people in the midst of fire.There are a few people who say i should be instead of a shooter either a tank or enforcer but i like shooter cause of the damage but tanks are so tanky which i like being high health and enforcer is meh its an okay role i just dont do it justice.

My set up right now is:grenade, sniper,firebomb,bp mortar, lr motar, bandage and turbo.

19. Babablacksheep

Babablacksheep Well-Known Member

Keep it for the quest
    I recommend 1)Firebomb 2) LRM 3)ballpark 4)sniper and 5) blast canon/STD CANON, according to your weapon. Sniper damage perks active, IF you use blast with sniper..

Yes it has three mortar, below ace League more mortars Rule. However keep developing Railgun /Explosive canon to replace one of the mortars in future,And missile to replace another

20. USS Ironsides

USS Ironsides Member

Ill have to try that setup then, also grenade is stuck atm at lvl 10 so i switched to railgun as the damage is more.
    Also how do i upload a video on here, i want to show some of my battles to get some tips and tricks.