1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hey please check out our new forum Suggestions and Ideas found in the area "The Bay" - as we love all your ideas and want to collect them in one place, - please use it going forward. :) Thanks already for helping to make Battle Bay an even better experience. Remember: If your idea already exists - simply add your comment or like to an existing one so we avoid duplicates.
    Dismiss Notice

Make Defense Points Better

Discussion in 'Suggestions & Ideas' started by benguin8, 27 Nov 2017.

1. benguin8

benguin8 Well-Known Member

Based on a recent thread https://forum.battlebay.net/threads/difference-between-defense-and-hitpoints.14894/ it has been made clear how much better HP perks are than defense perks.

Perhaps defense should be reworked to act as a % of the damage received. The total base defense and perks would need to be balanced of course.

For starters, why not take def points and divide it by 4 to convert it to a %. So defender with 50 def points base would reduce incoming damage by 12.5%. Total epic perks of 36 on one item would reduce damage by another 9%. I do not recall what the total defense points are added via training, but a mk6 defender with say 8 epic defense perks could reduce all damage by about 35%

Seems balanced given the number of damage perks you can add. Cannons can add 32% with perks alone. Its even higher considering training and frost/fire perks.

Thoughts?

2. EyeOfDoom

EyeOfDoom Well-Known Member

Everyone with a carronade will go apes.

Zachiderp and The Otherguy like this.
  3. CaffeinatedChris

CaffeinatedChris MVP

Considering that a high-level Defender can almost entirely block Carronade damage now, a switch to a damage-reduction percentage would actually be beneficial in those scenarios. Once I get back to a keyboard, I can try to crunch the math.

4. benguin8

I agree with @CaffeinatedChris. To use round math (ignoring perks and training), a legendary carronade does 100x5 damage. If a defender has 80 defense today, that stops 80% of the damage and only 100 damage is going to get through. Using my suggestion and dividing 80 by 4 to turn it into a %, then the defender would stop 20% of the damage and let 400 damage through.

If you think about it, the % reduction will be extremely helpful vs the one shot high damage weapons (torp, rail gun), while also improving the multi-shot / low damage weapons like carronade and standard cannon.

It makes so much sense. Please consider this Rovio!

5. Babablacksheep

Babablacksheep Well-Known Member

Doesnt make sense to me,Burst damage gets doomed.High damage weapons like Railgun have loong reaload time,And worst DPS just because it has high damage.% reduction will do the same to burst damage weapons,What the current defense is doing to carronade.

I would suggest something

Defense perk help in

1) Increased passive healing(From pulse,Tape and bandage)

2) Decreased passive damage(Fb,Fg,Naplam,grenade)

3) Assisstance to tesla shield.From what i know current defense perks do not affect Tesla shield,as a result of Which T shield Suffers Full damage negating defense perk effect

All of these bonuses in added % with respect to amount of Defense perk equipped.
    (For eg 100 defense points give +10% healing
    -5% damage from passive weapons)

The Otherguy and Shadow Moon! like this.
  6. benguin8

I don't mind exploring other options, but having the defense perk tied to other equipment would seem to unbalance the other equip. I do like your options though and they could easily become their own perks. From your list, I like #2 best. How about a Carbon Fiber perk that speeds up the duration of fire, stun, and frost. Maybe cut the duration by 50% max or something. Defense perk can have unlimited options to reduce damage and all would be better than what we have.

I admit the % idea would need to be properly balanced. If you could reduce your damage by 25%, then the hp perk could become extinct easily. I just see the % reduction being the direct balance and counter to all the % buffs every weapon in the game gets.

What if we had a perk that increased your speed by x% for 5s if you got hit? Could be used to get out of the way or to make a defender charge into battle! So many options.

7. CaffeinatedChris

CaffeinatedChris MVP

Thanks for the reminder to loop back on this thread @benguin8 - grab your slide rules, kids, it's time for another round of Math With CaffeinatedChris.

I'm going to use some numbers I pulled from the "HP myths explained" thread, where I showed the difference in damage my Lv40 Rare Sniper will do against a pair of hypothetical ships - a 100-defense Defender and a 0-defense Speeder.

The formula for damage is (Base + Bonus - Defense) * Item Multiplier * Burning * Crit * Random 90-110% - for this post, I've left the randomness out.

(301 + 15 - Def) * 1.32 * 1.1 * 2.5

Speeder: 458 normal / 1147 crit
    Defender: 313 normal / 784 crit

In this case, the 100 points of defense on the Defender is sopping up 145 damage normally, and 363 damage against a crit. Let's switch to the 1:4 ratio damage reduction that benguin8 proposed, and we'll apply that multiplier along with the others, in order.

The 458/1147 numbers are now the "standard, unreduced damage" - the Defender with 100 points of defense gets a 1/4 reduction, or 0.75 multiplier - that's 343/860. If we made it a 1:3 ratio of damage reduction, that would be about 0.67 multiplier, or 306/768 - that seems to fall more in line with what's currently expected, as well as making the perks divide down nicely as they currently grant 3/6/9 - they would become "1/2/3% damage reduction".

Now let's look at the tradeoff vs HP perks.

In order to achieve that 33% damage reduction, under the concept of the new perks being worth 1/2/3% each; you would need to fit eleven Epic Defense perks. If those were Epic HP perks instead, you'd have (150*11) or 1650 base HP - which you then feed through the item and ship multipliers. A conservative estimate of those for a high-level Defender player would be +40% on each of "Ship" and "Big Shield" which means that 1650HP from perks is actually worth 3234HP when fitted to your ship.

Assuming that you're being hit by guns that would normally do 1000HP a shot, you're saving 333HP every hit, which means that beyond 10 hits, you're ahead of the game. Not so unreasonable, and if you get hit by a 3000HP Big Torpedo, your 33% Defense would strip 1000HP from that. Three torpedos, or two and a smattering of Cannon fire, and you're ahead of the game by running Defense. You're still at risk of getting bursted down, of course, but if you're able to shrug off a full third of incoming damage, burst damage is harder to pile up.

Finally, let's take this to a ridiculous extreme.

If a Mk6 Defender puts on 5 Shields with new Epic Defense Perks (total = 20 perks, 3% each), and maxes out their available defense via talents (currently +2, +3, +5 - we'll call that +1, +2 and +3 under the New Defense Deal) then they get an end result of 66% damage reduction. That 3000HP torpedo would now only result in 1000HP of actual damage - and I can patch that up with a quick Repair Bolt shot.

8. Help I Cant Swim

Help I Cant Swim MVP

I think that is way too much and it would become nearly unstoppable.

9. CaffeinatedChris

CaffeinatedChris MVP

I'd tend to agree. There would likely have to be a cap on the Defense stat similar to how there's currently a cap on Speed, Turning, Turret stats.

That said, how much HP would an Mk6/Mk7 Defender have if they were sporting 5x Shields (1 Big, 4 Standard) at something like Epic Lv40? I honestly don't know, my Defender's Mk2. ;)

10. benguin8

Beat me to it. There is a cap on speed and at some point you dont add more turbo. I am ok with that. Love the math BTW. I know we are looking at the defender mostly (since that might be the litmus test for being unstoppable), but this change would be very helpful to all ships with shield.

FDR's Think Tank likes this.
  11. Joey who

Joey who Well-Known Member

Only thing I want to see is an increase to max defense from 100 to 200. I don't understand why the defense cap is so low. Give us a good reason to pick defense points over health points please @Miika @The Grim Repair @Zeus @SirCornedBeef

To reach 200 defense would take lots of epic perks and T4E/T3L shields so it wouldn't be easy to get to in lower leagues, and in high leagues fire + blast cannons or ex cannons aswell as sniper crits already reach 2k damage so 200 defense wouldn't be overpowered.

Right now I find defense beneficial when you get crit by a sniper cannon, because your defense points help you 2.5x more than usual and carronades but it's just situational

TheFixer27 likes this.
  12. Gnu

Gnu Well-Known Member

Games
    Ok, no carronade love

FDR's Think Tank and Zachiderp like this.
  13. Joey who

Carronade is already pretty bad against defense. But I personally believe that carronade perks should, instead of adding damage, add defense penetration. I.e. common 5%, rare 10%, epic 15%. Making max possible defense penetration 60% (I would also add 2 swift trainings for 5% each) making max defense penetration 70%.

In-case "defense penetration" wasn't clear to some, it would make it so if an enemy has a defense of 100, and your carronade has a defense penetration of 70% it would be as if your enemy only has 30 defense.

14. Joey who

BUMPPPP

15. TheFixer27

TheFixer27 Well-Known Member

A boat
    All I want is make defense also helps defend against fire damage but in a percentage value

16. envylife

envylife Well-Known Member

I agree that Defense perks are sub-par. I've always been unsure why it applies to each projectile, and as such I would simplify by applying to total damage by the weapon shot. At that point you can move to higher points or % of overall damage without having to worry about further tweaks to carronade and missiles.