1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hey please check out our new forum Suggestions and Ideas found in the area "The Bay" - as we love all your ideas and want to collect them in one place, - please use it going forward. :) Thanks already for helping to make Battle Bay an even better experience. Remember: If your idea already exists - simply add your comment or like to an existing one so we avoid duplicates.
    Dismiss Notice

Let's remake the Defender

Discussion in 'Game Discussion' started by TheAntiSnipe, 2 Mar 2018.

1. TheAntiSnipe

TheAntiSnipe Moon's haunted

After thinking long and hard, and picking up a lot of inspiration along the way, I have finally found the root cause of the defender being underrepresented.

No, it's not the style of defender, it's (mostly) not the HUGE weapon nerfs. It's the ROLE of the defender.

See, the shooter can shoot. The speeder can speed. The enforcer can enforce. The fixer can fix. The question we should be asking is, DOES THE DEFENDER DEFEND?

As in, can the defender defend anything other than itself? The enforcer can defend better than the defender can. You can shield a fixer from harm in an enfo. You can throw off enemies, set traps, protect flanks. Like come on. Enfo is a better defender than the defender itself. Please note, these are my views. Feel free to object, as I know many of you will;).

Anyway. Back on point. The defender. It's not the offender. It's role is not charging. Charging is what brawlers do. Tanks defend. Brawlers attack hard.

Defender needs an overhaul. A complete overhaul. It needs to support the team. So let's have a look at how to balance it.

Here's my take on what needs to improve, other than the stat improvements @*JAWS* pointed out before:

1. Defence. Defender needs to be a class that has a big health pool and the ability to shield allies. I'm introducing violet items. I'll let pro defenders decide distributions.

2. Charging capability. Defender needs to be able to charge down an enemy(especially since we don't have a Charger ship), so maybe add items that can do that?

Here's my take on what one such item could be:
    Tesla wall
    The tesla wall is a barrier encompassing a HUGE wall shape. It lasts 10 seconds. While active, defender gets it's speed boosted by a percentile necessary to assist in what resembles a phalanx. This will allow the defender to stop all attacks except under and over ground attacks. Enemies passing through the phalanx will get stunned.

I appreciate all contribution in advance!

HARPO!, Eradone, Blueee and 11 others like this.
  2. What's Up Player

What's Up Player Well-Known Member

Nerf shooter, Epic & legendary tesla shields and buff rudder and gear lube.

That would solve Defender problems.

3. TheAntiSnipe

No it wouldn't, not if defender remains the way it is right now. I mean, it's called a Defender. Why? Can it defend it's own team directly?

4. Help I Cant Swim

Help I Cant Swim MVP

Hmmmm.... I like the theme, but I think adding a new item is going to cripple F2P players at this point.

I think the Defender needs an overhaul that doesn't rely on items...

Here's something out of the box...
    Defense is typically something that doesn't move. So why don't we provide buffs to Defenders that aren't moving? Massive defense + turret speed buffs. Maybe a built in bandage. A top defender should be able to fortify a stronghold and keep anything else out of that area.

Maybe it is as simple as providing a buff to the defense points of teammates that are close. That would certainly fit the definition of a defender.

5. TheAntiSnipe

That's an idea I like. However, about the new items part, repair bolts worked out pretty well, didnt they?

PastelPiku likes this.
  6. Help I Cant Swim

Help I Cant Swim MVP

Yea after awhile and a couple of buffs IIRC. I just don't like relying on more items for the Defender. They previously relied on the Explosive Cannon and it came back to bite them.

Neptune_Gaming and Zachiderp like this.
  7. What's Up Player

Because it's not its role lol. It's role is to charge.

Btw taking tons of damage can be considered defending can't it? ;)

Neptune_Gaming and *JAWS* like this.
  8. TheAntiSnipe

This thread actually came to me because I was thinking, "What can a defender do that the others cannot?" You can be a tank even as an enfo, you can charge as a speeder as well, so what makes defender tick?

Does anyone have an answer?

9. What's Up Player

From my observation, when team follows Defender it's almost sure win.

Only problem is when Defender is going alone or using some stupid build.

Last edited: 2 Mar 2018
  10. Help I Cant Swim

Help I Cant Swim MVP

I like the idea of providing a passive buff to the defense points of nearby teammates. This encourages players to stick with their Defender, allows them to better lead a charge or fortify a position, and encourages team play rather than 1v1.

In addition to this, there needs to be included in the "help messages" to "Stick with your Defender"

11. TheAntiSnipe

Basically, the defender is more of a bezerker. I think we need something that allows defender to REALLY defend and support his team, to really leverage that HP.

12. What's Up Player

This + make Carronade pierce through defense points. That would make good balance on both sides.

Neptune_Gaming likes this.
  13. TheAntiSnipe

Carro would be too OP if it could pierce defence, actually, the dps on that thing is INSANE if it ignores defence.

14. Babablacksheep

Babablacksheep Well-Known Member

Nope, if Carronade fails against defender so do the mortars against speeder... A weapon need not be effective against all ships

15. CaffeinatedChris

CaffeinatedChris MVP

If we're speaking in D&D terms, perhaps the Defender needs a "racial bonus" to all Blue items equipped on it, that scales with ship Mk.

Complete napkin math, what if for each Mk of the Defender, you got +10% effect on your Blue items? So by the time you're at Mk5, your Defender gets an extra +50% multiplier to its Shields, Turbo, and Bandage. Would give it more staying power in a charge, but wouldn't make other ships equipping the same items OP.

16. Help I Cant Swim

Help I Cant Swim MVP

I will definitely support a non-item, ship-based buff. Messing with items is so difficult because the ships all share the items (mostly).

17. Shadow Moon!

Shadow Moon! Well-Known Member

People don't follow defender because the splash kills you when defender eats all AoE weapons.
    I think every ship should gain a passive ability according to its roll to promote team plays.

Take example of vainglory where the players chain their attacks to deal extra damage.
    Instead of picking what you prefer there people play what counters the opponents.

Last edited: 2 Mar 2018
  18. Help I Cant Swim

Help I Cant Swim MVP

What about making Defenders absorb a certain percentage of AOE damage? This would allow Defenders to eat torps, mines, ECs and mortars for their teammates.

Right now Defender is just a knock-off Shooter. It is the only ship without a distinct role. I'd like to give it the role of the "glue" that keeps the team together.

19. Fin-

Fin- Active Member

Neptune_Gaming likes this.
  20. SlayerofSergeants

SlayerofSergeants Well-Known Member

This is not a bad idea. Problem is that defense points are virtually worthless these days. Epic and legendary item damage is not even remotely tamed when Defender's shields are loaded with armor. You can save 36 damage on each shield slot with max perks. On 5 slots that's 180 damaged saved. It's not entirely insignificant but still it's a drop in the bucket vs weapons putting out 2k damage+.