1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hey please check out our new forum Suggestions and Ideas found in the area "The Bay" - as we love all your ideas and want to collect them in one place, - please use it going forward. :) Thanks already for helping to make Battle Bay an even better experience. Remember: If your idea already exists - simply add your comment or like to an existing one so we avoid duplicates.
    Dismiss Notice

Is turbo mandatory

Discussion in 'Game Discussion' started by Iunch, 16 Aug 2017.

1. Iunch

Iunch Active Member

I've been experimenting with different builds on different ships (currently mk 5 shooter, defender and enforcer), but have been reaching a conclusion that turbo is a must have item on all ships in order to avoid mortar spam, fire bomb etc. Also if you don't have it and your team rushes or you're left 1v1 the speed difference can really screw you up.

So my question is do people run without turbo? How do you deal with the above issues?

Should it be adjusted to make other items more appealing?

2. monobrow

monobrow Well-Known Member

For ships with access to yellow items you can just about get away with OB instead, but personally, yes. Id say turbo is a must have

3. BITTERSTEEL

BITTERSTEEL Well-Known Member

Most items are based on preference, but turbo is one of the only items that is an absolute must on every ship. If you are not using turbo, you are doing something wrong.

4. Iunch

Iunch Active Member

This was my conclusion too. Therefore I wonder if it doesn't need adjusting to make it more of a preference item. Having said that, I have no idea what adjustments I'd make.

5. Miathan

Miathan Well-Known Member

The base speed is just too low to not take turbo... you're way too vulnerable without.

6. - Oskar -

- Oskar - Well-Known Member

And for me one of the reasons people get discouraged at first, when I tell someone to play the game, everyone says it is very, very slow ... I will of course go up the properties of all the base ships... otherwise until you have a decent turbo and many skills of the captains actived play is very tedious ... unless of course you use a speeder ...

7. allyart

allyart New Member

i tried to remove turbo from my mk4 shooter and it feels like forever just to turn my rear end.. soo.. i think for me its a must.

8. Tripple Moon

Tripple Moon Member

Private info
    All items that influence the "projectile hit delay" are mandatory imho, turbo being the most obvious.
    far less obvious would be the Gear-Lube, which allows you to follow and aim at other ships faster.

9. Pulse Hadron

Pulse Hadron Member

As a ship goes up the MKs it actually gets slower. The turn and turret speed slow too. The only thing that goes up is HP (and maybe defence).

I assumed upgrading meant, well, upgrading, and only realized recently that my mk4s seem sluggish because they are. So I started using a turbo and feel I'm back in the game, able to keep up with teammates and not necessarilly run down by reds.

It was tough to add the turbo. I'd tested and been having good luck with a hyper-bandaged defender where the strategy was to sneak into a close fight with a red, pelting them with high dps cannons, then get to cover and recharge quickly. Moving up infamy this isn't working as well, reds often can't be entrapped because they have turbos. Been experimenting with a shield and rudder too, this hyper-bandage strategy is silly really.

I guess it depends on your strategy. If you're in close combat and need to keep pace then a turbo seems necessary, but if you're using long range maybe you don't need it.

10. BasedCarpen

BasedCarpen Well-Known Member

On my mk4 fixer I use a rare 20 turbo and overboost
    On my mk4 shooter I use the same rare 20 turbo and it's not enough to avoid torps I see coming, too slow and I'm considering switching to speeder if I don't get another turbo soon

If I hit an epic turbo I may just run two

11. Kraptastic

Kraptastic Active Member

Sales
    I run an epic turbo and I always have it equipped. One of the few absolutely necessary items (the other one is shield). I feel sorry for anyone who just never gets one in a chest.

12. GuerrillaPvP

GuerrillaPvP Active Member

I have never really "needed" a turbo, I use a mk 5 shooter and I prefer a shield and bandage. My strategy is to sit back a little to deal damage, so turbo isn't as needed. I do well either way though, with or without turbo.

13. Joey who

Joey who Well-Known Member

At mk5 speeder I seen a dude get away with using big shield + bandage & triple nitros :3

He was pretty fast

14. Netsa

Netsa Well-Known Member

Just to be contrarian...

It's not mandatory at all! Speeders and Enforcers can freely ignore it and just use Overboosts and Nitros. Shooters can spam mortars and snipers from such a long range, they never need speed. Fixer can also Overboost/Nitro, and can just heal itself if things get serious. Defenders can stack 5 shields so that no amount of damage can possibly kill them anyway. Leave the Turbo at home, everything will be fine.

By the way, Turbo helps to avoid damage from all weapons, not just mortars. People are more likely to miss even cannon shots if your ship is moving a little faster, especially on maps with larger waves. Particularly applicable on Danceforcers and Speeders, but Defenders need to reach the front-line as fast as they can, and Shooters can't afford to get hit by every shot.

15. CaffeinatedChris

CaffeinatedChris MVP

Turbo on Fixers isn't just about getting away from a sticky situation, it's being able to get to your teammate to box/pulse them, or clear an obstacle and land a bolt.

tl;dr you can pry my turbo

turbo.jpg

16. Netsa

Netsa Well-Known Member

I was just being facetious guys.

17. Kraptastic

Kraptastic Active Member

Sales
    No Worries. I had to delete my last post, because of some technical weirdness, but I agree with you. Ships do not have to have turbo. Many don't and they do well enough.