1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hey please check out our new forum Suggestions and Ideas found in the area "The Bay" - as we love all your ideas and want to collect them in one place, - please use it going forward. :) Thanks already for helping to make Battle Bay an even better experience. Remember: If your idea already exists - simply add your comment or like to an existing one so we avoid duplicates.
    Dismiss Notice

Is the sniper cannon nerf justified for all?

Discussion in 'Game Discussion' started by TheAntiSnipe, 26 Jun 2017.

?

Is the nerf justified for all?

Poll closed 3 Jul 2017.
  1. Yup

40.4%
  2. Nope

46.8%
  3. I dont know yet

12.8%
  1. TheAntiSnipe

TheAntiSnipe Moon's haunted

The sniper cannon nerf(-7.5% damage) which is gonna occur at the next update will cripple new players who are heavily reliant on the weapon. Agreed, this nerf helps nightmare league players, but how many of them ARE there? This nerf can occur at a later date, maybe?

2. Stelmo

Stelmo Well-Known Member

Seems pretty unnecessary to me. I could think of a good few weapons that I think could have been 'balanced' first anyway.

Cripple is too strong a word here though, sniper is still going to be a great weapon.

dikshift and TheAntiSnipe like this.
  3. Kitterini

Kitterini Well-Known Member

Cripple is that perhaps going a step too far.

But I dont really understand how Sniper was first in line for a rebalance - I could think of more dominant weapons, fx Blast Cannon & Big Torpedo.

TheAntiSnipe likes this.
  4. dead_insect

dead_insect New Member

Yeah the sniper cannon is weak to begin with and the long range doesn't justify the damage reduction IMO. A shooter ship is heavily reliant on effective long range weapons and this change would just weaken the shooter.

TheAntiSnipe likes this.
  5. Kitterini

Kitterini Well-Known Member

Sniper is not weak (not after the patch either) -- It lands massive crits at a longe range, which is great in a game that is most often decided by the teams ability to focusfire & bring targets down fast. [That is not to say that I think a nerf is needed -- But Sniper is in the stronger end of weapons].
    ---
    @dead_insect This patch is a gift to shooters, a minor nerf to a weapon used by most classes doesn't alter that.

6. dead_insect

dead_insect New Member

The shooter is a LR ship first and foremost: it sucks at short range and an enforcer and speeder will run circles around it and laughing while killing it. The long range critical hits make up for this shortcoming, so that is why I think lowering sniper dmg is not warranted.

7. monobrow

monobrow Well-Known Member

I voted Yup
    Long range, fast projectile, insane crit chance. Worthy nerf!

8. RESQMI

RESQMI Active Member

Sniper is one of my main weapon load out for all ships, it started out weak but towards end game is one of the stronger weapon that has low cool down.
    It is also one of the weapon most players using as main weapon. In any MOBA games, items that have the most usage tends to get balance downwards.
    Better get used to it as I can see more of it coming in the future.

dikshift likes this.
  9. TheAntiSnipe

Well, at lower levels, sniper cannons are really important. I am a literal assassin with sniper cannons. I know how to get as many crits as possible: skimming shots close to the water, insane range hits, and all that. But still, this nerf makes me uncomfortable to say the least. Ya know?

10. Miathan

Miathan Well-Known Member

Late in the game, yes. The problem is that sniper only becomes great after you get the crit damage crew training and good crit perks. In the early game, from captain lvl 1 to 23 / ship mk 1 to 3, people run sniper mostly with the base crit multiplier of 2 and crit rate of 10%. There, sniper is not overpowered, it is actually weak compared to other weapons. A nerf is not justified imo. It will only make sniper a worthless early game weapon, just like missiles and carronade.

I wish that instead of a global damage reduction, the devs would have looked at the real issue and adjusted the scaling.

TheAntiSnipe likes this.
  11. TheAntiSnipe

Well, thats my point. How many people at high levels use sniper cannons? I mean, as we do? Also, this population is mighty small compared to us low level players who pray to the crit gods for damage. Also, 7.5% damage reduction means a 7.5% reduction to crits if im not wrong(calculate and tell me if i am...) and this hurts low level players. That is my point

12. Steven

Steven Active Member

The sniper is not weak....if it was written y does damn near EVERY ship have one equipped? Because of the crit on it....THE CRIT is what's OP and I agree with the nerf to sniper even as a carrier of a legendary one.

TheRedSpeeder likes this.
  13. TheAntiSnipe

Well, crits are our bread and butter! Plus, they are not entirely random in my experience. Skill shots almost always grant crits! Issue is, it might just be a big problem. Though we should wait it out and see.

14. Steven

Steven Active Member

Well isn't every weapon weak at the lower lvls? That's kinda the point......none of them get better till u lvl your captains and urself....

15. monobrow

monobrow Well-Known Member

Nerf is only to damage not crit chance

16. Jackyepic

Jackyepic Member

I think you are overreacting. 7.5% cannot really kill you. It is really easy to land hits with sniper cannon. I would say it is the easiest weapon to hit. With that accuracy, the sniper cannon is a very efficient weapon, especially against speeders.

I don't really think that the nerf is specified against low level players. Since the damage growth in this game is linear, the higher your weapon level, the more you suffer. If you have a low level SC, that decrease is just a matter of one or two levels. But as I have calculated, it is a 6 level drop with a max rare SC, and a 5 level drop with a max epic SC. (9 level if anybody ever own a max legendary SC, 6 for a fresh legendary SC) Cannot tell who suffer more.

I use SC on my shooter because it doesn't cost any brain cells to land hits.

Last edited: 26 Jun 2017
    D3X likes this.
  17. D3X

D3X Well-Known Member

I think this 7.5% is more aimed at the high level game. 7.5% off the low levels is nothing; for example original 250 damage after decrease- that's 231 damage, which is miniscule and unnoticeable, simply upgrade it a bit more and it's fine. However, those in higher up 3000+ Infamy are using Snipers with high levels of Crit damage with Rare & Epic Crit Chance Perks (30-45%! chance) , so the damage is 1400-1800 damage per crit (550-650 damage when not) , so instead of doing that, it's reduced to 1295-1665 damage. Still very high in my opinion, but more significant of a reduction.

So I agree with most here, it's an overreaction. The lower level game players won't even notice the difference, as their crit chance is between 5-20% at best

GhostYasuo likes this.
  18. Miathan

Miathan Well-Known Member

Eh, I think you lack basic understanding of percentages. A 7.5% nerf affects high and low damage numbers equally much. That's what percentages are for.

Yes, a larger number gets substracted from a higher damage number, but that is meaningless by itself. You have to relate it to the damage value, which is done by dividing the substracted amount by the pre-nerf damage, and there you have your percentage again.

19. D3X

D3X Well-Known Member

That made very little sense, I know how percentage and the math works. It's simple, 7.5% reduction is global to the damage of the weapon, which includes both perk increases and crit increases.

I'm saying that the impact of 7.5% on a lower damage level is not a big deal, whereas a bigger damage like when it 'Crit's does and becomes significiant.
    Not sure what you're getting at with the 'subtracting amount by the pre-nerf damage', because that's the only way you can compare right now. Once the reduction is applied, you won't see the original numbers?

20. r4z

r4z Member

I vote NO , purely because any nerf in a game where items are random drops and take ages to lvl-up - IS BAD

what if you go an buy a car and after you drive it for a while they come around and take one of your wheels.
    silly analogy I know but I stick to it, many have spent real money beside time, to acquire kit.

You might say "balance" is always needed, right - why the f.cuk has this game been operating (for what, a year? ) in other countries? Not for establishing balance?
    Or just to have some fat whales already in and drill holes in you when you join as a freshman on the official launch?