1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hey please check out our new forum Suggestions and Ideas found in the area "The Bay" - as we love all your ideas and want to collect them in one place, - please use it going forward. :) Thanks already for helping to make Battle Bay an even better experience. Remember: If your idea already exists - simply add your comment or like to an existing one so we avoid duplicates.
    Dismiss Notice

Is the cannon too strong?

Discussion in 'Strategy Discussion' started by achillesRising, 24 May 2017.

Tags:
  1. achillesRising

achillesRising Member

The cannon's incredible velocity basically makes it a point-and-click weapon in a game that does the pointing for you, and it has the third highest DPS in the game.
    Now, there are some rare circumstances where you do need to *GASP* aim for fast-moving targets at long distances, but even then it's pretty easy to do. Just drag the reticle a little bit in one direction, and you have yourself a hit, because the hitboxes in this game are crazy forgiving and because if you need to adjust the cannon's aim it's only the slightest amount.

The Cannon's respective crew member is the cheapest and easiest crew member to train.

Finally, the cannon is just an unintuitive and frankly boring weapon. It really disappoints me to see players using double cannon, because it's such a bland playstyle in such a colorful game, and yet it's really effective.

HeWhoHasCake likes this.
  2. S.S. Von Snoot

S.S. Von Snoot New Member

What are you talking about? BHURT is super expensive to train! Cannon rules. It should be the best damage weapon in the game, because it's damage per hit is the lowest. If anything is over powered it's anything that lights you aflame for 20 seconds doing 50-60 damage. That's overpowered! Not the cannon!

3. achillesRising

achillesRising Member

First of all, i'll take your '50-60 damage' bit as a hint that you're very new at the game.
    -Bhurt isn't any more expensive than the later crewmembers as far as sugar goes, but he's by far the cheapest as far as level requirements go.
    -the cannon doesn't do the lowest damage per shot. The carronade has a lower damage per shot than the cannon, as does the flare gun, napalm gun, and fire bomb.
    -and anyway, that's not an argument. Burst damage really doesn't matter that much in this game, especially not as far as a single person's burst DPS. If anything, sustained damage is far more valuable, which cannon excells at.

HeWhoHasCake likes this.
  4. S.S. Von Snoot

S.S. Von Snoot New Member

First of all, I'll take your implying that I didn't mean 50-60 damage PER SECOND, to mean that you are newer to the game than I am. The carronade does WAY more damage than the cannon, and it reloads fast too. I've taken lots of 1000+ carronade hits, but zero 1000+ cannon hits.

5. achillesRising

achillesRising Member

-When you say 1000+ carronade shots, it's because you're being hit by multiple carronade pellets. Each pellet does less damage, and since that's how the game mech handles things, than that's the damage per shot.

-Of course fire weapons do more raw damage than cannons, that's because they do their damage over 20 seconds. Cannons do get pretty close to flame weapons of equal level. And anyway, fire weapons have much longer reload times. cannon DPS is still higher.

6. oDDD

oDDD Member

Considering you need to peek out to shoot leaving you yourself open to cannon fire makes it a skill weapon. Not skill less. All cannoneers are not on equal ground trust me.

7. Weaponizer

Weaponizer Member

Cannon has short reload time and good damage but it's not overpowered. It's damage may be good, but all other cannons, all torpedos, all mortars and Railgun all beat it.

8. Captain_Perry

Captain_Perry Active Member

Hey hey... Cannons may really be effective, but here are some of my views to your point.
    "Point and click weapon, does nothing, 3rd highest dps"
    Well, the cannon takes strategy as well if you account for them. I used to play cannon, and it's actually harder to land hits 100% e.g. To far away people, even if you try to predict enemy movement. It does nothing if you don't use it well.
    "Bhurt is cheap..."
    No it isn't. I'm stuck in level 25 with 1.6M worth of sugar needed to train.
    "Double cannon stupid tactic..."
    Double cannon... What's wrong with that?

Hokuse likes this.
  9. achillesRising

achillesRising Member

What's wrong with double cannon is that it's the most boring way to play the game in such a colorful world, and yet it's really effective, and that's just not healthy for the community.

HeWhoHasCake likes this.
  10. Captain_Perry

Well, it might be great in lower infamy levels, but you would rarely see people use standard cannon in higher leagues (especially nightmare), and I am sure that NO ONE would use that in nightmare. Double cannon might be good in lower infamy, but when they get higher, players need to rack up more damage (by using other weapons) in order to rise more in infamy. For instance, ships having a higher tier (perhaps Mk4 and above) takes more to destroy and double cannons don't do much.

11. Weaponizer

Weaponizer Member

If you are in Nightmare, should you still use Cannon but have a really powerful secondary with it?

12. Captain_Perry

Well... You can. Nothing limits what weapons you use...
    You could use cannon for a "backup" weapon or a "high-dps" weapon, while using the other one as main.
    Look at P0rthos (man I use him a lot...) for example. He uses defender and has 3 weapon slots (on Mk5/6). Therefore, he equipped a cannon, a napalm launcher and tri-torps.

13. Totoro

Totoro Active Member

Tree Spirit
    I think you need to watch the top players and the weapons they use. It's not OP. There are so many more dynamics and stackable multipliers in this game. Furthermore, have you tried shooting speeders with cannons? It is not point and click....people even miss my fixer with their cannons. And as I'm burning behind a barrier or experiencing a mortar barrage, I'm not thinking "at least he doesn't have a cannon".

14. aaaxxd

aaaxxd Member

It doesn't even take higher leagues to know that cannons are not that OP. I stopped using it when playing Mk2 shooter because it is hard to land a shot and because I have two other weapons I need to use as well. Cannon's short reload time becomes useless by this stage. Only in late game brawling cannons would come useful, and even then there are still other weapons that can give pretty serious damage.

15. Zector

Zector New Member

cannon is 1 of the best early game weapons, so I might understand that it can be the best choice for low infamy players, but as you go higher in infamy and league, the cannon begins to sturggle in dealing the same damage as other weapons (even its cousin, the blast cannon, have better overall DPS than the cannon) and it's better used as a back up weapon in your slot rather than a main weapon, it excells at keeping pressure with its low cooldown, but it has the lowest damage in game, and burst becomes much more needed than rapid damage late game. so, cannon is best at low infamy, decent but not needed in higher leagues.