1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hey please check out our new forum Suggestions and Ideas found in the area "The Bay" - as we love all your ideas and want to collect them in one place, - please use it going forward. :) Thanks already for helping to make Battle Bay an even better experience. Remember: If your idea already exists - simply add your comment or like to an existing one so we avoid duplicates.
    Dismiss Notice

How about a minimum range for the sniper?

Discussion in 'Strategy Discussion' started by ViscountSniffit, 11 Sep 2017.

1. ViscountSniffit

ViscountSniffit Well-Known Member

I'm sure this won't be a popular idea, as it seems like everyone and their dog is packing a sniper cannon, but that's kind of why I feel it could do with a tweak...

The sniper is probably my most hated weapon. Not just because it's rediculously good, but because it forces the early game to be played at a distance, where you can't even make out enemy ships.

As a speeder with short range weapons, there isn't much for me to do in the early part of the game, other than try to sneak forward in cover. But it's perfectly possible to lose a teammate before I'm even near enough to take my shots.

Okay fine! Snipers are a thing, and they can take you out from a distance... But what's really annoying is that when I do get up close, I'm still taking crit hits from snipers. There just doesn't seem to be any downside to them? I'm even considering trading my Blast Cannon in and retraining, because even at short range, with the crit perks and talents, the sniper seems like the more powerful weapon.

So my idea is: why not give it a minimum range (like the torpedo)? Then it can still be used for its intended purpose (long range sniping), but there will be a trade off, rather than a one size fits all weapon. Perhaps then the carronade might even get a bit more use on shooters.

Even the railgun is weak at close range, and that's already 2 slots, and double the cooldown. Why does the sniper just get to be awesome at all ranges?

Last edited: 11 Sep 2017
  2. CARRONADE

CARRONADE New Member

I definitely understand you. I am also a speeder.
    Hp 1836
    Speed 1.57
    Build
    Blast Canon/Big Torpedo
    Overboost/Frost Blaster
    Bandage/Turbo
    This build is a short ranged build which requires me to get up close and destroy enemies. When I do so, I seldom get hit by epic T3/4/5 rare T4/5 sniper canons when i cant even see shooters. It is very painful when I get up close to a lonely guy and shddenly Im left with 400hp. I believe that I could use a tesla shield but i wont even know when someone is going to shoot me.

Close range 1v1 battles. Long range is one thing. This is another thing. I noticed that snipers do about 10% less damage at short range. e.g. if 300 at max range, 270 up close. This is a good feature but the crit damage is just too much. I agree that sniper canon is very versatile but it takes alot of time and luck to build a good sniper. With that in mind, I think that the sniper needs another nerf after the 7.5% damage nerf, either crit damage nerf or crit chance perks nerf.

3. BasedCarpen

BasedCarpen Well-Known Member

Sniper is probably my worst nemesis as a speeder, they do major damage for such a quick one slot projectile. Ive only gotten one rare one or I would be using it

4. The Otherguy

The Otherguy Well-Known Member

Tech support
  5. Jin

Jin New Member

Sniper have low damage because it have long range sniper are good at long range and sniper don't do critical hit much often because I am sniper lover my rare sniper at t3 just does damage of 301 while blast cannon or boom cannon at rare t3 does damage nearly of 550. So point is sniper are long ranged weapon and they do low damage where blast cannon and boom cannon are medium range weapons and they do High damage game is equally balanced and sniper too have negative side

6. TheAntiSnipe

TheAntiSnipe Moon's haunted

Reduce crit chance depending on range to target. That would nerf them heavily. As in, dont make it public, just change up description to say, crit chance reduces with range. This is gonna piss off a lot of peeps tho

ThatOnion likes this.
  7. TheAntiSnipe

TheAntiSnipe Moon's haunted

True. But dont do it. I was a snipe user long ago. Well, I don't personally know if the blast cannon is more convenient or has something else, but I feel safer with it.

8. Miathan

Miathan Well-Known Member

Sniper isn't OP, that's just people's perception. They take a couple of crits and go "wow sniper OP the damage is so high". What they don't realize is that even after a long time of playing, with max Bhurt and 3 rare sniper crit perks, the crit rate is only 30%. That means 70% of the shots have damage that's lower than almost any other weapon. That's the tradeoff. You do great damage sometimes, and crap damage most of the time.

If they removed crits from sniper and slightly increased base damage so that the average is the same as now, nobody would whine about it.

9. The Otherguy

The Otherguy Well-Known Member

Tech support
    But somehow it always crits when I'm in my speeder. :(

I'm fine if they nerf crit dmg....

10. Gipsy Danger Jaeger

Gipsy Danger Jaeger Member

I used to love the Sniper Cannon, but i kinda hate it now, as we all know it's a straight shot (obviously,it's a sniper), and it's very hard to get "green light" if you know what i mean..
    And that's because we got some "great" waves on the bay..
    Overall it's a good weapon kinda weak.. i think, looking from that point of view that it's hard to get "green light".

11. Clintastic

Clintastic Member

[QUOTE=" I'm even considering trading my Blast Cannon in and retraining, because even at short range, with the crit perks and talents, the sniper seems like the more powerful weapon." QUOTE]

Just wanted to add a brief tip to this... you will absolutely get more out of your Blast Cannon if you go for either DMG perks or (if your set up with Flare or Firebomb) the Burning DMG Perks. you can do the math all day long and crit chance perks are only useful on Snip and crit damage perks are worthless all together.

Last edited: 13 Oct 2017
    TheAntiSnipe likes this.