1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hey please check out our new forum Suggestions and Ideas found in the area "The Bay" - as we love all your ideas and want to collect them in one place, - please use it going forward. :) Thanks already for helping to make Battle Bay an even better experience. Remember: If your idea already exists - simply add your comment or like to an existing one so we avoid duplicates.
    Dismiss Notice

Guild Rivalry Matching

Discussion in 'Game Discussion' started by Tricky-2-Shots, 28 Feb 2018.

1. Tricky-2-Shots

Tricky-2-Shots New Member

Battle Bay, I love the game but your new Guild Rivalry Matching is waayyyy off and unfair. Your system has matched me against guilds 10 times stronger only because we happen to be just as active as them. Things change and our lives don't always allow us to be as active, Can you go back to matching guilds based on infamy total or maybe even based on weapons strength.. But a Guild of global rank 7000 against a Guild of 300 or 78 global rank is simply ridiculous. Also, if you are going to continue matching guild rivalries based on their previous completed number of quests then please stick to it. My guild only finished 24 quests in the last guild war, and yet, you still matched me against guilds that did 42 and 41 quests... Is my guild being Penalized for having completed 42 guild quests 2 rivalries ago?? And if so, how is that fair?? Anyhow, our guild will not be spending any more cash for pearls until we see a more fair rivalry..

2. JiminyKicket

JiminyKicket New Member

Agreed. Some people like this new system now because you’re likely to be matched against guilds with the same results. In their mind, it’s more competitive. These players were generally in less competitive guilds, so the new system benefits them.

I hate the new system because it isn’t fair, for the exact reasons you stated. It penalizes guilds that were more competitive (by effort, spending, skill, strategy...some combination of those things). My guild used to be competitive, and cared about our weekly place and the corresponding prize. We spent pearls on boosts, and busted our butts. Now, we’re matched against nothing but guilds that are doing the same, so all of that effort might result in a 4th place finish and therefore nothing. So we’ve decided to save our boosts and effort level and mail in a 48 quest performance. If a similar guild with similar sized players can lazily finish 24 quests and win their rivalry, why should we bust our butts. It’s not fair, basically ruined for us. We’ve had at least one guy end his subscription.

Please fix it, Rovio.

- Sarocen - likes this.
  3. envylife

envylife Well-Known Member

Our guild used to buy lots of boosts to push to finish, but after the change it all stopped... not to mention toward the end of the rivalry it is clear there's no way to catch up to the "equal" guilds and it's like crickets around the end of the rivalry week... and no one is excited about winning a single raffle spin for 4th place... or 2 spins for 3rd. If rewards were proportional to competition, then I'd definitely see more boosts purchased and more pushing.

Mad_Bulls_007 likes this.
  4. saso1988

saso1988 New Member

Yes i agree. This is disaster. Our avarage infamy is 1300 and we get rivals with 4000. And result....... Now they have 30 quest and we 15....so unfair

- Sarocen - likes this.
  5. Ash KOT

Ash KOT MVP

Yes it has affected us badly too.

Preupdate we won every rivalry except one which we came 2nd, so lots of reward for working hard.
    Since the update we have come last and 6th in the first 2 rivalries, so totally not worth what we have put in.
    We have even had a few members leave to try and find stronger guilds.

We are just hanging in there and doing what we can, enjoying the tokens from clearing the boards but the post rivalry rewards are almost non existent.

Suraj69k and JiminyKicket like this.
  6. Tricky-2-Shots

Shortly after posting this thread, I submitted a concern about this directly to the Rovio Developers. Still no real response, but we still have several days before the new guild wars begin again. . So, our guild is still going to be at 24 or less guild quests completed, and, I'm hoping to see a change ..

JiminyKicket likes this.
  7. Kitterini

Kitterini Well-Known Member

So a system in which you win every week is balanced, but one where you dont is flawed?
    Sums up the flood of complaints brilliantly ;)

8. Help I Cant Swim

Help I Cant Swim MVP

Exactly my thought. Most of the people complaining were low-infamy, high-activity guilds that were simply dominating every rivalry pre-update. Now they actually have to try to win these rivalries and they don't like it.

The new matchmaking system is more fair than the old one for most guilds. There is a small handful that is being unfairly rewarded, not punished. I am all for matchmaking the guilds based off of quests AND infamy. That would create very fair and competitive rivalries. Match based on +/- 3 quests completed first and foremost, and then group the guilds into as similar of infamy as possible.

Babablacksheep likes this.
  9. Tricky-2-Shots

It's not about winning or losing.. It's about fairness and having fun.. And a lot of us just aren't having fun anymore with the Guild Wars at least.. How can we if things aren't fair?? I know this is a virtual game but to some of us, it's our favorite pass time and we don't want to steer away from it...But I know I will, if I continue to see ridiculously balanced Guild Rivalries.. In the real world, you don't see heavyweight fighters facing lightweights, or semi pro teams facing professional league teams because it just doesn't make sense and it outright isn't fair. People don't wanna pay to see that...And I ain't gonna pay to see that here either..!!

JiminyKicket likes this.
  10. Tricky-2-Shots

Yes!! Nicely said.. This would definitely be more fair..

11. Kshitij jaiswal

Kshitij jaiswal New Member

Yeah..!!
    This week in our rivalry we have got a team which is globally in top 10. Is it just because we did 55 quests last week? Although our ranking is only around 300
    We are trying our best but aren't able to get above them.
    It's really poor guild rivalry fixing.
    I think they should do it according to global rankings within a range of 100 ranks ahead or below.

Tricky-2-Shots likes this.
  12. JiminyKicket

JiminyKicket New Member

Re-read this statement. These teams were winning because they were trying hard! Isn’t that how it should work? And “dominating” isn’t true—we regularly faced at least one other guild that gave us really fun competition.

Now, groups that don’t try hard (i.e. worse teams) can win the same prizes. Where does a dynamic like this exist? Can you name a sport or game? You can’t, because it’s stupid.

The old system didn’t seem “balanced” because the effort levels of similarly-sized guilds isn’t “balanced”. You could say that the new system is more competitive, but anyone with an understanding of how competitions work would not say that it’s fair.

Last edited: 1 Mar 2018
  13. Kitterini

Kitterini Well-Known Member

The point remains though; which is the best measurement for creating rivalries with guilds that complete around the same # of quests?
    a) Quests completed.
    b) Infamy.

Where exactly lies the problem with creating rivalries with guilds that quest at an equal pace?

14. Help I Cant Swim

Help I Cant Swim MVP

"My guild can't easily win every week now! I'm not paying another dime to Rovio until they guarantee me rivalry victories!"

Does that sound about right?

15. JiminyKicket

JiminyKicket New Member

If you have two teams of generally similar infamy sizes, and one team typically completes twice as many quests, would you say that team is better?

16. Help I Cant Swim

Help I Cant Swim MVP

One other guild? So then there was 4 guilds that never stood a chance every single week...

So do you want to reduce the rewards for lesser guilds? In a game where rewards are hard to come by, I am not in favor of reducing rewards for anybody.

The new system is competitive. We have 6 guilds that are all completing the same amount of quests and the winner only wins by a hair. That is balanced competition. Matching guilds based on infamy would be like making somebody that dresses and looks like Shaun White go try to actually compete against Shaun White.

17. Help I Cant Swim

Help I Cant Swim MVP

This sounds like support for matching based on quests. lol

18. JiminyKicket

JiminyKicket New Member

Wrong. Nothing is guaranteed. All guilds start at zero.

19. JiminyKicket

JiminyKicket New Member

Name a game or sport where better teams play better teams, and worse teams play worse teams, for the same prizes. You can’t.

20. Help I Cant Swim

Help I Cant Swim MVP

The soccer leagues in Europe are like this, but not for the same "prizes".

But I don't understand why this is a problem that lesser guilds receive the same end-of-rivalry rewards? Do you want to take away rewards from lesser guilds? Them getting the rewards doesn't stop YOU from getting the rewards. Just sounds like sour grapes to me.