1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hey please check out our new forum Suggestions and Ideas found in the area "The Bay" - as we love all your ideas and want to collect them in one place, - please use it going forward. :) Thanks already for helping to make Battle Bay an even better experience. Remember: If your idea already exists - simply add your comment or like to an existing one so we avoid duplicates.
    Dismiss Notice

Great job! You broke ranked games?

Discussion in 'Game Discussion' started by VincentP, 23 Jan 2019.

1. VincentP

VincentP Member

Is there an explanation for this matchmaking? If so, what would it be? Why am I playing against players with 2k infamy less than mine? My matchmaking is just fine, always getting 2/3 starts/game.
    Is there a logic reason for this or matchmaking keeps getting fxcked up?

upload_2019-1-23_15-53-43.png

Attached Files:

2. Ultrah

Ultrah Well-Known Member

I’m loving it! I’ve never gotten 4 3-star Fixer games in a row before!

Attached Files:

Sidd gamer and R4Z0R like this.
  3. -729835959

-729835959 Active Member

It is more like they are in the infamy tanking zone.

4. DerrickRose

DerrickRose Active Member

What the heck is this?

Attached Files:

5. envylife

envylife Well-Known Member

Yea, the temporary patch that doesn't address the root issue. I can't believe that policy has been in place for as long as it has.

Sidd gamer likes this.
  6. xArrogance

xArrogance Well-Known Member

I've noticed quite a few in NML struggling with infamy ..

I don't care enough to figure it out exactly why anymore .. but I'd guess they're still using your all-time infamy high as a matchmaking factor if you drop below a certain percentage - to prevent infamy tanking.

They may even be using a season high as a factor if you've dropped 4-500.

If I try to play solo or with a fleetmate outside of the top 100, I start dropping like a rock - and the matches don't get any easier even after losing 10+ in a row.

And/or, it could be that there are too many hard counters for the setups people have spent years building.

Certain setups can be OP on some maps and worthless on others, OP against some ship types and worthless against others. Tossing teams together without accounting for ship types makes far more matches unwinnable than ever before .. and most don't have a top fleetmate to keep them in the win column nor the items to realistically switch setups.

Frenchdutchy and Sidd gamer like this.
  7. ViscountSniffit

ViscountSniffit Well-Known Member

It always kills me when I see matchmaking put five Mines on one team, and zero Mines on the other. I can totally understand why they don’t try to control that (or wouldn’t want to even), but it can certainly make games more luck based.

I played (read: lost) a game recently, where I was the highest ranked player. I was shocked, at the end, to see that I’d only managed to do 87 damage. What kept happening was every time I tried to get in range for a shot, someone would break my shield with a Railgun, and leave me dead in the water, then I’d take too much damage and be forced to retreat/heal up. By the time I realised what was happening, it was too late, the game was over. When I looked at the battle result, to see who was spamming Railgun, I realised it was everyone. There were 4-5 Railguns on the enemy team.

It never occurred to me that a Railgun heavy team would be such an issue for me (that’s never really happened before). I’m not saying it’s an unwinnable game, but when you only have a couple of mins to figure out everyone’s weapons during the game, and it throws you a curveball like that, it does feel like it exacerbates the ‘luck’ factor in matchmaking.

Last edited: 24 Jan 2019
    TheAntiSnipe, Nikkie! and R4Z0R like this.
  8. VincentP

VincentP Member

Tho I think the mixture of set ups should be adressed afterwards the infamy problem, still shocks me how can I be put in the same team with a player with 1k infamy, being NML player just a season or 2 ago. If they can´t handle the infamy-properly composed team, getting the properly item-mixed up team, seems like a very far far away posibility.
    Besides, if it´d be casual mode, whatever, doesn´t really make the difference winning or loosing one game cuz of that player. But ranked mode?

9. Su-57

Su-57 Well-Known Member

Artist
    I am a 1060 infamy player and i am getting battles against Ace players .

10. envylife

envylife Well-Known Member

So many theories, but the root cause is that not all players are playing ranked and contributing to Infamy pool.

We really need a few things to happen
    • Infamy should decay over time when players don't consistently contribute to Infamy pool. Without it, when Infamy shifts over time, those players not participating in ranked will wind up with inaccurate Infamy.
    • Scrap the current Infamy dropping penalty. All it's doing at this point is keeping legitimate players suppressed by putting them in high level Infamy matches rather than letting them battle back up from their lower Infamy. Implement Infamy floors instead of all this error prone matchmaking manipulation. Perpetual events and then a Casual mode nullifies the pre-existing seal clubbing penalties.
    • Ranked matches should be based on 10% Infamy devation. Absolutely no other inputs.
    • In other words, Eliminate all matchmaking manipulations. Use RNG balancing.

11. Leuco

Leuco Active Member

My only issue this season has been fixer vs no fixer games, they're the only ones that feel really 1-sided unless the fixer team makes a bunch of mistakes