1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hey please check out our new forum Suggestions and Ideas found in the area "The Bay" - as we love all your ideas and want to collect them in one place, - please use it going forward. :) Thanks already for helping to make Battle Bay an even better experience. Remember: If your idea already exists - simply add your comment or like to an existing one so we avoid duplicates.
    Dismiss Notice

Gap between p2w and f2p

Discussion in 'Strategy Discussion' started by SunlightDuck, 10 Jul 2017.

1. SunlightDuck

SunlightDuck Active Member

Krusty Krab Keeper
    Just wondering... is it just me that feels like the gap between free to play and pay to win players are way too large? I'm free to play, and saw a mk4 shooter using 4 legendaries at 1700 infamy... It might just be my opinion but any thoughts on this? I just feel like free to play players are just simply too week compared to a pay to win. I'm still stuck with rares and tier 1 epics and there are guys with legendaries... I feel like the gap needs to be reduced. Again, if anyone has any thoughts on this, feel free to share.

2. David Bonaparte

David Bonaparte Active Member

I would avoid jumping to hasty conclusions based on one match, without numbers. :p

I dunno about you, but I've played over a thousand matches and literally only found one legendary item user.

It feels bad now, but does it happen a lot? No. Think about how much money that guy had to spend to get 4 legendaries. (Or, he has been around a very long time, which i doubt, the older players here don't seem to have finished any legendary items f2p). Item equipment levels do matter, which is why you can't buy duplicate items directly. It puts a stranglehold (not a complete one though) on the paying players, to reduce the effects of real world cash. Even if you CAN get a legendary item completed, how do you get a duplicate? They are so much harder to get, the odds are that most people will never see a Tier 2 Legendary.

Now, if you were to talk about upgrading epic items faster, then yes you would have a point. However, the effect should still be reduced. Unless the paying player is intentionally score dropping, a large item imbalance will lead to him (or her) gaining infamy fairly quickly. You aren't going to be constantly running into the same people unless the ranks above them are decently saturated.

Paying makes a difference, but aiming and positioning more so.

ChickenSurprise likes this.
  3. RESQMI

RESQMI Active Member

I do notice that legendary items are getting more and more common among players. Anyone under 2k infamy with legendary items to some extend use the in game premium service to buff their progress.
    The gap will only get bigger. New player with resources joining in will simply use the premium service to get them a few legendary items with a lot more epic coming with the package.
    They can also use the pearls they bought to rush for the crew training and level up their captain and ship levels. Anyone willing to fork out 3 to 5k usd can join in Ace league in 2 weeks time with all sort of high end items in their pocket for them to mess around. It took me about 6 months of grinding to get there.

Just as in reality, anyone with money as resources at their disposal do get a head start from the rest who don't. Although all will get to the same finishing point, the difference will only be the duration it take.
    This game rely a lot on your gears even if you are very skillful. I would advise all F2P player to stop comparing your progress against the wallet warriors to save yourself some grieve.
    At the end of the day, time vs money to progress, the same as other online game. All F2P players will need to endure a long grinding and frustrating path to reach the finishing point of the game. One should decide what kind of resources and mentality they would like to pump into this game to make their play enjoyable.

I'm F2P, at the stage of just clearing quest and get enough stars to buy all the star crates daily. Infamy and ranking is not a big deal to me anymore, every start of a season as long as I'm above 3k infamy to stay in Ace 1 league next season to enjoy the reward bonus is good enough for me.

Happy grinding.

ChickenSurprise and Kustomz like this.
  4. Joey who

Joey who Well-Known Member

Usually the players with multiple legendaries in low infamy are poor aimers and less strategic. They are low infamy for a reason.

5. H.A.D.E.S

H.A.D.E.S Well-Known Member

There's nothing to worry, if someone has legendary or epic..... Keep gaining experience from battles....Learn the maps...Know what kind of weapon u are good with and how to use them perfectly...The more time u give to the game, The more possibility will be there to have rare and epic weapons & their duplicates.

BoogieJoJo and ShøckWãve like this.
  6. CheekyDevilGod

CheekyDevilGod Well-Known Member

The gap between f2p and p2p is proportional to amount of cash spent

And nobody is gonna pay 5k usd for this game so chill

Also, p2p gamers would get bored of the game and leave it sooner

F2p players have to work for it so the game will keep us busy and hooked for longer

ChickenSurprise and Kustomz like this.
  7. D3X

D3X Well-Known Member

You're absolutely wrong on the part with "nobody will pay 5k USD for this game".
    https://forum.battlebay.net/threads/i-am-getting-legendary-weapon.473/ This is proof.

That's very true. The fact that the top ranges of infamy is the same group, and that the bulk of the players are stuck at 1.5-2.5k is proof. I've seen a lot of players lose interest at 2k.

They really are left behind in this game. Even for me as a P2P player, I have to work hard to keep up in this game, there is a very slow progression path for the F2P and the gap will increase larger and larger.

8. CheekyDevilGod

Lol, 1500 dollars in 3 days

Bet you players like those will get bored and quit the game within 1 month

Anyways

The game doesn't run on charity

If we wanna keep playing

Rovio needs to continue making a decent profit

It's possible for rovio to make a profit without people spending cash on it

But for that to happen, Rovio needs bb to have as many active members per day as dota, lol or other financially successful f2p games

So if you guys really want bb to be f2p

Do all of us a favor and get your friends to play the game too

I consider bb revolutionary

I have never seen or heard of such an amazing moba, that too on mobile

It has the potential to have much more than just 5 million players

Obviously word of mouth reviews suck

Sad truth is, games like those managed to get such a huge following cause they never engaged in p2p schemes and that's where bb fails miserably

Simply giving us the 5 player fleeting will bring bb to the same standards as other mobas but for some lame idiotic reason

The developers ar completely oblivious to the fact

9. *Rubber Duck*

*Rubber Duck* Well-Known Member

And nobody is gonna pay 5k usd for this game so chill[/QUOTE]

Def not true, I gareentee you ppl have and there is 1 or 2 in our guild that have that would prove ya wrong there bud

10. Clintastic

Clintastic Member

I personally have a Friend in the game that has a tier 4 legendary explosive cannon. He has spent about 10K.

11. Battle Bay Scrub

Battle Bay Scrub Member

Sometimes you'll be teamed up with the wallet warriors and your team will end up oupaying the enemy team :p

If epic weapons weren't so expensive (3k pearls costs about $15 USD if you buy the most cost-efficient pearls) id probably spend some money.

12. CheekyDevilGod

Sigh

Nobody reads what I type

Sad

GUYS, GET YOUR FRIENDS TO PLAY THE GAME AND IF A LOT OF PEOPLE PLAY IT

SAY LIKE 500 MILLION PEOPLE

THERE'S A CHANCE IT MIGHT BECOME F2P

(Typing in all caps to draw attention, not yelling)

13. RESQMI

RESQMI Active Member

Dota2, LOL you mention is of another gaming mechanic, you cannot compare BB to them.
    Sadly even with such following you imagined there is no way they will turn a cash cow to F2P.
    Lowering down the cost for in game premium service maybe.
    Like all other popular online gaming of such mechanic, unless some one managed to get the code and volunteer a private server, P2W will always exist for this game.
    Probably in another 6 to 12 months down the road, majority of the F2P player will quit and all that balanced will be players who already paid a hefty amount of money into the game.
    Let's hope they can come up with more interesting content down the road to keep the player pool from shrinking and attract more new players.

14. CheekyDevilGod

Not necessarily true

At the end of the day rovio does business amd amy decent businessman knows that sales is more important than profit

They'll make more cash from the game by having more people to play it than they can by making the current pool pay more

And the only way they can draw enough people to play it and keep them here such that they can make enough cash from it is if it becomes f2p

Ofc, all this under the assumptions that the devs and the people running rovio know the basics of business

But judging from how they keep ignoring players pleas to make 5 player fleet ups possible

I sincerely doubt that

15. D3X

D3X Well-Known Member

Rovio is one of the premiere Mobile Game Developers in the business. They know how to make good games, however, they haven't made a smash hit game since the first Angry Birds. They also haven't made a game that's top grossing, at least not at the top of the all-time list. Although I highly doubt that this game is a high grossing game that will beat the competitiors (like Supercell, Machine Zone, or King), they have designed this game in such as way to follow that model.

So in other words, they know that this pricing model is very expensive. What they fail to realize is that the game isn't very deep. There's only 1 game mode, there's only 5 ship classes, and there's only 9 maps. So there's a limited amount of game play here before it gets repetitive. On top of that, the current Shop system is also repetitive and unpredictable. So the only draw is to try and get better based on the limitations of the shop. That quickly gets old fast. This is getting more and more apparent as most of the Global Release players are reaching to the peak where the Shop system becomes the biggest handicap to the player, and we see the frustrations here on the forum. My guess is that those players are long gone as they lose interest on the ever-lasting grind to improve the items.

If Rovio wants this game to succeed, they need to appease for the F2P model and make it viable. As well, look into creating new content as soon as possible. Adding new game modes, new maps, new ships would be the first to look at . Guild wars, perhaps further down the road as I see that the most difficult to implement.

@CheekyDevilGod oh btw, stop the double-carriage returns and the all CAPS and write in normal sentences please!

behumble and GhostYasuo like this.
  16. mprovie

mprovie New Member

I for one think the gap will get smaller as time goes on. Legendaries have a very high initial damage making them very powerful right off the bat. But, I think charts you can find on this forum show that tier 3 epics are slightly better than rank 1 legendary most of the time. Paying players will still have access to legendary and mk 5 epics long before a f2p player will, but eventually or with a little bit of money most players will be able to close the gap. The amount of money required to have ranked up legendaries is something I think very few players will be able to afford.

17. D3X

D3X Well-Known Member

It's T4 Epics that are better than Legendaries. T3s are Level 20-30, which will still be under initial T1 Legendary Level 1 (and even a Maxed Level 50 Rare). It's only when you get to T4 Epic-level 30 you match T1 Legendary at the same scale. So a T4 Epic level 40 would equal that of a T1 Max Level 10 Legendary. Check the charts.

18. mprovie

mprovie New Member

You're right, in all fairness I did say "I think". While that is the case, my point still stands. With every upgrade those epics get closer to the power of a T1 legendary, thereby closing the gap. F2P will never be able to beat T3+ legendaries, but I just don't think you are going to see that below nightmare league simply because of how expensive they are. A maxed epic is about the same power as a lvl 25 legendary.

My main point is that most legendaries have a shock value due to how much base damage they do. This makes them desirable for everyone, because if you had to level them up to get impressive damage out of them no one would use them due to how expensive it is to level them. They have a high initial starting point, but a much flatter slope than the other rarities.

19. Miathan

Miathan Well-Known Member

The fact that you're even seeing a 4 legendary shooter at 1700 infamy means that the gap is not too big. If it really made him so powerful, he wouldn't be at 1700. I see people with legendaries every day, and plenty of them die and lose. Like earlier today I was against a shooter with 3 legendaries, of which 2 weapons. He ended up doing like 2100 damage in the whole match, even though he was the last enemy alive. Tier 1 rares are fine to kill people like that.

In the end, the infamy system simply balances it out. People with legendaries who are actually good will quickly rise, and you'll never see them at 1700 infamy again. Almost all of the legendary players you get matched against, are ones that you can defeat.

BoogieJoJo likes this.
  20. Joey who

Joey who Well-Known Member

Rovio is not going to randomly decide to go f2p when they have millions of more players. That's the whole point. Look at how much supercell is making a month.
    @CheekyDevilGod