1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hey please check out our new forum Suggestions and Ideas found in the area "The Bay" - as we love all your ideas and want to collect them in one place, - please use it going forward. :) Thanks already for helping to make Battle Bay an even better experience. Remember: If your idea already exists - simply add your comment or like to an existing one so we avoid duplicates.
    Dismiss Notice

Fleeting can still mess up the matchmaking

Discussion in 'Strategy Discussion' started by Flint, 11 Jul 2018.

1. Flint

Flint Well-Known Member

Hello Devs,

A couple of months ago I posted a lot of fleeting battles where the matchmaking was very unbalanced, due to the fact that fleeting messes up the matchmaking. But it still happens, if I fleet myself with my mk4 and the other has a mk5, then the battle will be like:

Friends 4x m5 - 1x mk4

Unfriends 4x mk5 - 1x mk6

But is also happens that it is much worse:

Fleet.jpg

Last edited: 12 Jul 2018
  2. youhatemetoo

youhatemetoo Member

I wouldn't fleet with someone around my infamy level that had a ship that was 2 levels ahead of me....obviously they aren't that great

3. ViscountSniffit

ViscountSniffit Well-Known Member

When you press ‘Battle’ in a fleet, you will see a little message that says ‘Fleet battles might take longer to start’. This is because they can be harder to balance.

Unfortunately, sometimes matchmaking is unable to find you a balanced game at all, because there aren’t enough players. When this happens, it will expand its search parameters, and look for an ‘almost’ balanced game. If it still can’t find anything it will expand its parameters again.

Sometimes, this means you will end up with a game that isn’t as well balanced as you (or anyone) would like. But that’s not necessary a problem with matchmaking, it might just be that there aren’t enough players around when you pressed battle, so you end up with an unusual game that matchmaking would ‘prefer’ not to give you.

4. Flint

Flint Well-Known Member

It is hard, because I am afraid to fleet with certain people now myself. Because we lose more then when I play alone. Whereas fleeting should be more fun, than playing on your own. It does not always mess up the matchmaking, but a mk4 and a mk5, will almost always yield a stronger team for the Unfriends and a mk3 and mk5 even more.

5. Ser Tomaz

Ser Tomaz Active Member

It's not hard, as op's eg., the game could give him x3 mk5s & 1 mk6 to balance MKs but it did not.

6. ViscountSniffit

ViscountSniffit Well-Known Member

Because that would probably be exploitable. If you’re a mk6, then you can’t expect to get easier matchups just by fleeting with a mk4. That’s why matchmaking counts both ships as being the same as the top ship. If you choose to fleet with someone much weaker, then it’s kind of on you that your games are hard.

In the above case matchmaking doesn’t see the mk4 as a mk4. It sees it as a mk6, like the top ship. So you’ve actually got:

3xMk6 and 2xMk4 versus 1xMk6 and 4xMk5

Which is 26 versus 26.

7. Shadow Moon!

Shadow Moon! Well-Known Member

Fleet battles are always hard, always. MM thinks you have strategic advantage as you're in fleet rather than random player about whom you know nothing like their weapons, play style etc.
    I generally never fleet.

wreck your day likes this.
  8. wreck your day

wreck your day Well-Known Member

Enforcer! And future ultimate selfish fixer >:D
    What determines the order of the ships on each team before the match? Seems like infamy to me. And what happens if an mk2 and mk5 fleet, but the mk2 is the top ship? :rolleyes: