1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hey please check out our new forum Suggestions and Ideas found in the area "The Bay" - as we love all your ideas and want to collect them in one place, - please use it going forward. :) Thanks already for helping to make Battle Bay an even better experience. Remember: If your idea already exists - simply add your comment or like to an existing one so we avoid duplicates.
    Dismiss Notice

"Fake Hits"

Discussion in 'Bugs, Issues & Inquiries' started by Spartacus, 10 Feb 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Spartacus

Spartacus Active Member

I have been getting these "fake hit's" pretty regularly, about 10-20% of all games. My connection is a steady 110Mb / 15Mb / 6ms ping (90ms Ping in app) - same connection, same place in my house, same device (10.5 iPad Pro) as used in multiple successful daily games, however, "fake hits" like this keep happening. This doesn't appear to be lag since the remainder of the game feels fine, so is this a bug, or one of the ways the system "balances" your win/loss ratio?

Please take a look at these 3 videos which look at the same shot from 3 different angles. I am flyhighone, and I take 1031 damage points without being hit. It's a water shot, not explosive damage bouncing off of another object.
    -Angle 1 (32-second mark)
    -Angle 2 (20-second mark)
    -Angle 3 (13-second mark)

Last edited: 10 Feb 2018
  2. ThatOnion

ThatOnion Well-Known Member

Gamer
    I don't understand why people can't understand that there isn't a "magical performance balancer". Latency is dynamic, so it can spike. And the other person you're shooting at may be lagging. Or it's both.
    There's
    No
    Magic
    Algorithm

Kitterini likes this.
  3. Djradnad

Djradnad Well-Known Member

That was an invisible torp, happens all the time

Spartacus and ThatOnion like this.
  4. Spartacus

Spartacus Active Member

Where can I get me one of those haha

On a serious note, it sucks, and happens more than I would like!

5. Spartacus

Spartacus Active Member

Human nature is the desire to come to understanding of why something is the way that it is. Sometimes that leads to crazy wrong conclusions, other times, partially true, etc. Obviously, there is something in the algorithm that ensures an approximately 50/50 win loss ratio. And since battle bay has not released the details of how they make that happen, all we have is best guesses based on personal experience. For example, if the average team infamy is pretty equal during matches, then how can they ensure that approximate win/loss ratio? There has to be some controls in place. Again, guessing those controls is shear speculation, but there are controls nonetheless. If there were not, you would not see a 50/50

I can not prove it and you cannot disprove it, but it's possible, that the "dynamic latency" or the use of estimated positioning when firing is manipulated against teams that should be losing.

6. StrictSalmon307

StrictSalmon307 Well-Known Member

Professional student
    Nice essay ;)
    Good points though

Spartacus likes this.
  7. Mr. Chompers

Mr. Chompers Well-Known Member

I think it might have something to do with that sniper shot that just missed you.

8. Spartacus

Spartacus Active Member

That's what it looks like, but it's also the problem, it clearly missed me! I have had numerous games where "invisible objects" caused significant damage. Coincidently, or not, those issues appeared in games when the system was balancing my win/loss ration down after a series of wins. To be very clear, I am not insinuating that I know that this is one of the methods Rovio uses to balance, however, it is an effective possibility. I remember the developers mentioning on another thread that they use some sort of predictive algorithm when you fire a weapon, that assumes the location of where the enemy you are firing at will be at a point in time. They use this to ensure good game play as a result of having 10 users with various internet connections around the world, in one game. Obviously, this makes perfect sense, however, it also could be great tool to skew a win in favor of one team by "increasing their accuracy" while "reducing the accuracy" of the other team. This seems like a simple "control" as opposed to some of the other and more complex theories circulating around.

9. ThatOnion

ThatOnion Well-Known Member

Gamer
    A. You get the 50/50 win/loss becuase you don't infinitely progress, you rise (50+) then fall a little (~49) then you hold just about steady, because you are matched against people with equivalent skill/gear to you.
    B. To do what you say rovio does with latency would take a pretty smart AI, which last i checked we don't have. And latency is dynamic becuase of the speed of your internet fluctuating not some company being hyper-controlling

Kitterini likes this.
  10. The Grim Repair

The Grim Repair Community Manager

Closing - the correct answer has been given many times in the Forum:
    Latency - as explained by @ThatOnion

Please do search the Forum first before posting.

Kitterini and Mr. Chompers like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.