1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hey please check out our new forum Suggestions and Ideas found in the area "The Bay" - as we love all your ideas and want to collect them in one place, - please use it going forward. :) Thanks already for helping to make Battle Bay an even better experience. Remember: If your idea already exists - simply add your comment or like to an existing one so we avoid duplicates.
    Dismiss Notice

Defenders are so underated

Discussion in 'Strategy Discussion' started by FearsomeChicken, 7 Sep 2017.

1. FearsomeChicken

FearsomeChicken Well-Known Member

I main a defender, and am sad to see that it's a dying breed. Most games I usually get top 1-2 damage even with just dual weapons. I mean just see how Porthos plays his awesome defender, and yet most games I only see shooters and speeders. Rant over.

BomberRspn and The Otherguy like this.
  2. flyingdoucheman

flyingdoucheman Magical Banner Wizard

Battle Bay Bullies - Offensive Coordinator
    We take the hits but dish em out too. I feel players NOT in the know give up on the blue beast without trying a rudder, lube, turbo, and obviously shields up the wazoo. Low cool down weapons and practice, practice practice. Oh yeah a leveled up carronade makes a great sound crushing speeders, shooters and fixers, lol :cool:

3. Dirtylegs

Dirtylegs Member

I think part of the problem is the boat doesn't get to shine in its role as a tank until high mk level and far down the brock tree. I see many defenders with not much more hp than my shooter but they have less weapon slots.

Ultrah, AnikaitD, Miathan and 2 others like this.
  4. Mamamyers

Mamamyers Well-Known Member

Loser
    Ya shooters spam
    Ppl like all them weapons
    I love my defender

5. BBQ Chicken

BBQ Chicken New Member

I do think they are underrated but you can see why when it starts raining big Berta shells in the middle of a battle. Although shooters aren't much faster than defenders, they seem to be the favorite.

FearsomeChicken likes this.
  6. FearsomeChicken

I
    I really gotta stop scrapping those carronades, lol

7. FearsomeChicken

Yea, but what I think people fail to realise is that the defender excels at close quarter brawling much better than a shooter. Sure it has so little weapon slots, but because it can equip so many blue items, defenders can afford to steamroll their way into enemy territory, and therefore equip high dps weapons like the cannon/blast cannon to make up for the lack of weapon slots. Heck a well played defender can outperform shooters in damage as well.

Shooters' role falls closer to mid/long range superior firepower and to supress enemy teams. So both excels at their diffent roles. In regular mmorpg terms, a defender would be either a knight/paladin class, while the shooter would be a hunter/sniper.

8. flyingdoucheman

flyingdoucheman Magical Banner Wizard

Battle Bay Bullies - Offensive Coordinator
    Very well said. Promote that guy. :cool:

FearsomeChicken and The Otherguy like this.
  9. Sewah

Sewah Well-Known Member

I love my def,
    Stay behind and snipe, then move in and kill.
    Well it worked most of the time.

TheAntiSnipe likes this.
  10. xBonk

xBonk Active Member

Machinist
    When I play defender I am targeted with every missle, mortar, and torpedo non stop. Your video is so not the norm.

The Otherguy likes this.
  11. Sewah

Sewah Well-Known Member

Lol, i got 2 sniper canon and 1 canon. Fight long distance 1st, then close in and brawl.
    Maybe you are using short range weapon hence u need to brawl from the start of the game, thats why u get spam for all sort of stuff.

"Not the norm" is how i play fixer toooo.

D)

The Otherguy likes this.
  12. Rango8

Rango8 Well-Known Member

If you get targeted that much even with short range weapons you're moving in too fast in an open area with no team. Just because you can tank some damage doesn't mean you can tank aaaaallll the damage

Taevion0, Sewah and FearsomeChicken like this.
  13. Joey who

Joey who Well-Known Member

Defender is underused because it's a ship that requires high level items, such as bandages, shields and weapons. But once you get those items you realize they are way more effective on other ships such as speeder or shooter. The only time defender shines and is given any sort of advantage at all is when you are mk6 and can fit 3 high level bandages + a big shield and turbo. Hope one day there will be some changes to the defender to make it more viable. Kind of off-topic but also the enforcer, they need some love

Taevion0 and The Otherguy like this.
  14. Rango8

Rango8 Well-Known Member

All ships require high level items? Idk I've played defender all the way to nightmare and I've always felt it has it's advantageous and disadvantageous situations just like every other ship.

Also I've tried the other ships but I drop infamy like a rock. So maybe it's just me that can only play defender lol

FearsomeChicken likes this.
  15. Joey who

Not really. I've seen players with below average level items use speeder or fixer and climb up to 3500. But they would have no luck doing that with a defender

16. Rango8

Rango8 Well-Known Member

Hmm what's below average levels? I would have to do some research for a counter argument before I had anything cause that's a pretty good point. Idr how high my items were around 3k or so. Maybe @Miika could hit us with some stats on the highest infamy of each boat type at mk4 or mk3? Usually spenders will skip right through those mks.

17. Joey who

@Ian92999 made it to 3500 using tier 3 rare items. (Speeder)

@behumble made it to 3500 using an uncommon repair box launcher and not sure about what his other items were but maybe he will say (fixer)

A player named W@rCry made it to 3500 using mk4 fixer with a tier 1 epic repair bolt & a tier 2 rare repair bolt and a tier 1 epic mine (fixer)

Those are some I know, could be some others, but I don't think these players (which are very talented players don't get me wrong) could have made it to 3500 with those level items as a defender

18. Rango8

Rango8 Well-Known Member

Tier three rares seems believable for an mk5 defender to make it to 3500. A good one that is. I guarantee all my blue items on my defender were t3 rares around 3k. Idt 3500 though. But I spent so I had t3 epic weapons. Not a fair sample. Idk if he was mk4 speeder or not. And I've played w@rcry a few times but always seen him as shooter? I wouldn't have assumed he made it to 3500 as a fixer.

19. Joey who

He did, while he was grinding for it he only played fixer at the time. Now he plays enforcer (mk5)

Rango8 likes this.
  20. behumble

behumble Well-Known Member

Hey rango :)
    To follow up on what @Joeyaa said, i got to 3400 with tier 3 uncommon repair box, tier 2 rare bolt, and tier 3 rare pulse, all my stuff was tier 3 rare or lower.

Defender would have no luck getting to that point. As @Babablacksheep pointed out in another post, his defender has 6400 hp as a mk5 with two shields. The defender i see at 3400 have well over 10k hp. They also have stronger weapons, like tier 4+ epics or legendaries.

In the top 50 posts by @Kitterini u can see that the defender class has the highest number of wallet warriors.

Defender, enforcer, and fixer, the three ships that are slightly underpar to shooter and speeder :)

edit: fixer is only underpar in the endgame though. @Babablacksheep suggested having +20% speed and +20% hp (some defence would be nice too), far down in the skill tree. I completly agree, because at that point its not about how much healing u can do its how long u can stay alive