1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hey please check out our new forum Suggestions and Ideas found in the area "The Bay" - as we love all your ideas and want to collect them in one place, - please use it going forward. :) Thanks already for helping to make Battle Bay an even better experience. Remember: If your idea already exists - simply add your comment or like to an existing one so we avoid duplicates.
    Dismiss Notice

Bug in friend search list

Discussion in 'Bugs, Issues & Inquiries' started by Ajinkya, 16 Dec 2017.

1. Ajinkya

Ajinkya New Member

we are never able to find players in player search list. Need to improve. Also improve ships.

2. TheAntiSnipe

TheAntiSnipe Moon's haunted

You mean?

3. DoktorTeeth

DoktorTeeth Member

agreed about friend search... I think it's broken.

My brother just signed up, and i tried to search him and it doesn't find him. He sent me a screen shot so i could see exactly how it's spelled, so of course that's the first way I tried it, and when that didn't work I tried various combinations of init caps and spaces... and that may be the clue: the search always converts what you type into ALL_CAPS, which is fine as long as the search returns "similar" results rather than "exact" results... for instance I should be able to search for "doktor" and have it return all user names that have doktor in them with exact spelling at the top, and more dissimilar variants being listed further down

4. TheAntiSnipe

The search only searches tags. It does not search names. You know the orange player tag that is below your name? That tag.

Fair winds!

5. DoktorTeeth

DoktorTeeth Member

why in the world would they do it that way??? why create ANOTHER unique identifier, when there's already a unique identifier to use ? never would have thought of that. that's what names are for.

6. TheAntiSnipe

Imagine a popular player... Tags are not visible if you are on the global top 50 leaderboard. So that peeps like P0rthos won't be flooded with friend requests.

7. DoktorTeeth

DoktorTeeth Member

that's still more complicated than it needs to be, since you can just take the name out of the search results the same way as you take the tag out

8. TheAntiSnipe

You cant. Not with a world top player. Unless he or she shows up in chat or in your "lake" you cannot find out their player tag.

9. Miika

Miika Game Lead

1. The purpose of the search is to allow finding your out-of-game friend in the game easily so you can friend up. Not to find arbitrary players in the game.
    2. Even we developers have sometimes challenges finding people based on just their name because names can be difficult to write due to exotic character sets, creative uses of 0 vs O etc. Having a tag with only uses capitalized Latin alphabet solves this.
    3. Search with tag returns always 1 or 0 results. Doing a fuzzy search with player who’s name is only 3 characters long would pretty much guarantee you never being able the find who you are looking for.
    4. Privacy. Allowing to freely search for everyone playing the game is just not ok from the privacy point of view.

Scourge Argaen likes this.