1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hey please check out our new forum Suggestions and Ideas found in the area "The Bay" - as we love all your ideas and want to collect them in one place, - please use it going forward. :) Thanks already for helping to make Battle Bay an even better experience. Remember: If your idea already exists - simply add your comment or like to an existing one so we avoid duplicates.
    Dismiss Notice

Best boat for mortars?

Discussion in 'Strategy Discussion' started by QB1GBP, 18 Jan 2018.

1. QB1GBP

QB1GBP New Member

I usually run a shooter but have lately been running mostly mortars so I’m wondering if an enforcer or defender would be better for this.

2. Ash KOT

Ash KOT MVP

Most mortar users tend to use a shooter.
    You do see some great mortar players bending the rules like @BasedCarpen in his speeder :D
    Why do you no longer want to use the shooter?
    Technically any ship can be used with mortars, but depends on if you want to focus on firepower (shooter), health (defender) or agility (yellow boats).

The Otherguy and QB1GBP like this.
  3. QB1GBP

QB1GBP New Member

Lately I’ve been running into the same issue of not having the staying power or speed to avoid being targeted. Especially if an enemy speeder comes at me like a mosquito, circling me faster than my turret can keep up with. I already use both accessory slots for bandages to increase staying power.

4. QB1GBP

QB1GBP New Member

Attached Files:

Neptune_Gaming likes this.
  5. Ash KOT

Ash KOT MVP

Wow you have some impressive gear, 2 legendaries at 1300!
    You should be able to climb higher with that gear, personally for me a turbo is essential on the shooter.
    The extra speed may help you dodge enough shots, that the 2nd bandage isnt required.

6. QB1GBP

QB1GBP New Member

I like getting 126 healed every 5 seconds. But you make a good point. I used to use a turbo but dropped it in favor of the second bandage. I felt like with the extra speed I was getting out in front of the team which isn’t where I want to be with a mortar heavy load out. But I think I’ll go back to the turbo for a bit and see what that does for avoidance. Thanks for the info. And yeah, I’ve spent a fair amount of real money on it so it’s not like I’ve actually earned all that legendary stuff. :)

7. Ash KOT

Ash KOT MVP

Doesnt matter mate, paid for it or played for it, its still yours to enjoy and wreak havoc with!
    As for the turbo, dont use it as a tool to steam towards the enemy and suicide, its more for when the enemy has picked you up you can rock back and forth and avoid their attacks :)

8. Snapshot

Snapshot Well-Known Member

Nice gear but.... uh.... you have no direct damage weapons. What saves me from speeders are things like the standard cannon and the sniper cannon. Both are a very nasty surprise for enterprising little speeders. Consider the view from the speeder's perspective (or mine -- a brawler shooter). When I see a boat like yours I'm drooling because I know that all I need to do is get up close and you are nearly defenseless. When I used to load a standard cannon, aggressive speeders were getting popped every 3 seconds the moment they were anywhere even remotely close (love those range perks in the standard cannon). I know there are lots of ways to play the game but your choice of mortars to counter speeders doesn't make sense to me.

I'm a M4 shooter with F2P gear (Rare 25 type stuff). If I was able to close with you ("snuggle up" as I like to say) you would have zero chance of surviving. How much worse if I was a speeder and guaranteed able to close the range? Big bruiser mark 5's with all epic 40 stuff die just as easily for the same reason. They can't hit me with any of their awesomely powerful weapons at close range.

Almost all of the mortar boats I see mount at least one cannon although in my opinion they invariable choose the wrong one. I think the right one is the standard cannon. Your mortars are already providing a strong middle and long distance throw weight. You need something that can seriously dish out the damage at close range. That's what the standard cannon is all about.

PS: It doesn't matter what boat the unfriend is in. If I can hit him and he cannot hit me then I'm going to win. I love mortar boats in all their varieties (OK, never ran into a speeder mortar but I'd be cool with that too I think).

PPS: I am very serious when I say "Enjoy your purchased gear and thanks for letting me play for free." Skill still matters and honestly, getting waffle-stomped a few times for a free play experience isn't all that awful.

Last edited: 18 Jan 2018
    PastelPiku likes this.
  9. YerJokinArnYer

YerJokinArnYer MVP

I agree with the comments about needing a turbo. Whenever I upgraded my turbo, it always coincided with a rise in infamy as I could dodge more shots and stay in battles longer.

10. BasedCarpen

BasedCarpen Well-Known Member

You need to run a turbo on any boat as high as possible, my speeder is at Max. Without it you're a sitting duck for mortars. Once I hit a ship with a mortar i know they're slow and target them, usually defenders running an underpowered turbo but shooters as well.

Also build up a big shield for when you hit mk5, big shield will give you more hit points. Bandage is better for speeder, fixer and enforcer, as they can use yellow items to speed away and heal, while shooter and defender are the frontline and need more hit points

PastelPiku and Ash KOT like this.