1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hey please check out our new forum Suggestions and Ideas found in the area "The Bay" - as we love all your ideas and want to collect them in one place, - please use it going forward. :) Thanks already for helping to make Battle Bay an even better experience. Remember: If your idea already exists - simply add your comment or like to an existing one so we avoid duplicates.
    Dismiss Notice

Balance Quest Thresholds

Discussion in 'Suggestions & Ideas' started by benguin8, 6 Nov 2017.

1. benguin8

benguin8 Well-Known Member

For the sake of all that is good, can the devs please put in more than 2 seconds when determining the quest thresholds?

Yet again we have a Board 3 quest for a unique weapon that is difficult to use or has challenges producing high damage (im looking at you carronade, napalm, mines, and flare.) This time it is for flare. Before getting replies that they can produce high damage at high levels, I agree, but the point of this comment is that on Board 3, giving everything a damage of 400k makes no sense. I understand that crew training and perks can matter, but no math analysis is needed to see that it is much easier to rack up 400k with a big torp, than these weapons. Please put some logic into quest thresholds and save me some sanity.

Every weapon can't just get a blanket quest threshold. Perhaps putting a multiplier on the max damage of each weapon would help. Some specialized weapons will need a number that represents the difficulty in using it to give it a more realistic quest thresholds.

And lastly can you please update this before the next rivalry starts in 2 days? Thanks in advance.

Last edited: 6 Nov 2017
  2. Help I Cant Swim

Help I Cant Swim MVP

"I suggest putting a multiplier on the max damage of each weapon or something similar to give a more realistic quest thresholds."

I don't think this is what we want. I believe the napalm has a very high max total damage. So do mines. The problem is they are just hard to hit that threshold. So this calculation would actually backfire. The damages need to be a realistic value.

3. benguin8

Good catch @Tugboat. I forgot about the napalm twist. You can hit an enemy with napalm square in the face and still not have it do max damage if the enemy gets out of there fast. I think that mines would still work but I agree with your overall sentiment and slightly edited my first post. Quest Thresholds should be specific to how each weapon is used. I was trying to give devs a simple formula but I see it may not be able to be simplified.

Bottom line - revisit quest thresholds and make them specific to each weapon.

4. TheAntiSnipe

TheAntiSnipe Moon's haunted

Put up a poll. Also, it prolly won't happen in time for next season. Also, if you DO put up a poll, I want some realistic damage scaling DEPENDING ON GUILD INFAMIES.

5. Zen master

Zen master Member

Quit whining and work as a team. None of our guys regularly use napalm and yet we have never had problems handling napalm or any other weapon quest (trip torps, std mortar) on boards 3-5. It was tuff when it was set to kills, but dmg is not an impossible hurdle.
    The harder boards are meant to weed out the teams that want it enuf from the rest.

TheAntiSnipe likes this.
  6. TheAntiSnipe

TheAntiSnipe Moon's haunted

Well, weighting would keep it tough

7. Kitterini

Kitterini Well-Known Member

The underlying problem is the decreased quality of games that these obscure weapon quests has. Flare Gun is atleast a commonly used weapon, you try dealing 1500k damage with Standard Mortar in nightmare games when every mortar hit is around 250.

It enforces usage of poor weapons, which sucks for me, but even more so for my poor teammates.
    ---
    Ditching kill quests with specific weapons was a fine start, but core gameplay would benefit greatly if the devs reimagined what quests might actually be fun/interesting/viable to complete without screwing friendlies.

8. ViscountSniffit

ViscountSniffit Well-Known Member

One solution might be to give each quest it’s own time limit to solve. Once the time is up, it changes to a new quest. Perhaps you could even keep your progress.

That way if your guild does get stuck on a quest, you’re only stuck until the quest timer runs out, rather than stuck until the end of the rivalry.

9. benguin8

Hardly called for to dub this whining. Pointing out an imbalance then offering a solution is positive criticism. You can see that Rovio did put some thought into quests since shooter wins will be a slightly lower threshold when it requires fleeting. The purpose of this post is to ask why that wasn't done when considering the different weapons and the amount of damage they are capable of. I am more than happy to grind out 400k damage with a low level big torp because it is achievable. I'd think that everyone can admit that doing 400k damage is easier to do with some weapons than others.

Perhaps the OP came across wrong. What I should say is simply "please revisit quest thresholds and do your best to make all quests equally hard." Thanks!