1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hey please check out our new forum Suggestions and Ideas found in the area "The Bay" - as we love all your ideas and want to collect them in one place, - please use it going forward. :) Thanks already for helping to make Battle Bay an even better experience. Remember: If your idea already exists - simply add your comment or like to an existing one so we avoid duplicates.
    Dismiss Notice

A Simple Game - Why Sticking Together Matters

Discussion in 'Strategy Discussion' started by YerJokinArnYer, 22 Apr 2018.

1. YerJokinArnYer

YerJokinArnYer MVP

The key to winning in Battle Bay is quite simple. There are only two objectives:
    • Focus fire on a small number of enemies more effectively than your opponents
    • Share the damage from your enemy as evenly as possible across your team
    Focusing fire better than your opponents means all of your team picking one specific player to target, meaning that player will be more likely to die first in the game. This reduces their firepower, and makes for an easier win.

Sharing the damage across your team, means that your teammates will survive longer and enable you to maintain a higher combined firepower for longer. If you notice a teammate being targeted by opponents and has low health, advance your ship to make yourself an alternate target to a low health teammate whilst also increasing your chances of hitting the enemy. If you stay back and allow all teammates to take the damage, you may well end up with the highest contribution of your team, but your tactics will have played a part in the loss. (This also explains why camping behind walls whilst your teammates are under fire is also a bad tactic).

Both of these objectives are best served by sticking together. If you’re off on your own, you are less likely to be able to join in efforts to focus fire on a specific enemy. You also are more likely to find yourself outnumbered, likely resulting in your death, meaning that the enemy has an advantage in both of the two main objectives for the rest of the match.

I know that many experienced players will think this advice common sense, but I still see players failing to follow this advice even at high levels and frequently on The Foundry. Also, we often tell noobs to ‘stay together’, without explaining what that tactic is trying to achieve, or perhaps without explaining the ‘share the damage’ aspect.

2. YerJokinArnYer

YerJokinArnYer MVP

And the way to achieve these objectives is through communication.

The ‘together’ command is good for getting your teammates together, but ‘follow xxx’ is even better.
    The ‘target xxx’ command is the best way to let players who to shoot. Your teammates aren’t psychic, and will usually shoot at the target that is easiest for them to hit first if you don’t tell them.

Players spend a lot of time learning to use boats and weapons, but spend relatively little time in teaching themselves to use battle commands in the heat of battle.

Last edited: 23 Apr 2018
    What's Up Player likes this.
  3. TheAntiSnipe

TheAntiSnipe Moon's haunted

AND finally, remember. War is won by the side that makes the "fewest mistakes". Not "no mistakes", but "fewest". Fixer down? Rambo teammate? AFK? Lag?

No problem. It's losing hope that is the biggest problem. If you think, "Oh my teammate is AFK, we're doomed!" Well, no! "My teammate is AFK, can I use him as cover while shooting unfriends?" Is what you should think about.

Making the enemy overconfident is also an advantage of having a handicap. They make foolish decisions, take unnecessary risks, and make unessential compromises.

4. What's Up Player

What's Up Player Well-Known Member

Every player in BB should read this! :)

As I got to nightmare I was expecting great teamwork (it's nightmare league right, only for best players), but the reality was different. People completely fail to understand basic scenarios.

As @TheAntiSnipe said, I'd also like to add, that usually game is decided by ONE mistake. And that mistakes happen every battle, we just tent to notice friends' mistakes not unfriends' ones.

Good example to this would be 1v0 fixer games.. yesterday I had one where we had a fixer and they didn't, one of our shooters rushed too much into middle, even though everybody was spamming negative he continued. Of course all 5 of enemies started to shoot at him and as he was coming back for heals he died, leaving us 4v5. What I wanna say by this, after that, we just fought for the honour. Not to get wrecked as a team, but to also sink few of them (which we failed at), even though it was a loss already. One mistake. That's all it takes to win/lose a battle.