1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hey please check out our new forum Suggestions and Ideas found in the area "The Bay" - as we love all your ideas and want to collect them in one place, - please use it going forward. :) Thanks already for helping to make Battle Bay an even better experience. Remember: If your idea already exists - simply add your comment or like to an existing one so we avoid duplicates.
    Dismiss Notice

‘Experimental’ — New Weapon Class

Discussion in 'Suggestions & Ideas' started by ViscountSniffit, 17 Nov 2017.

1. ViscountSniffit

ViscountSniffit Well-Known Member

This is just a fun idea for a new class/scarcity of weapons/items, which is separate from Rares, Commons, Legendaries etc... called “Experimental”.

Experimental items are items and weapons that have been bodged and tinkered with by some brilliant (or unhinged) mechanic. They may do something spectacular, but they're just as likely to blow up in your face.

How do they work?
    When an experimental weapon is generated RNG dictates what attributes it will get. Everything from base damage, to number of perk slots, to what you might get when you scrap, is all dependant on luck. Experimental weapons will often generate with some 'experimental perks' attached.

What are experimental perks?
    These are special perks that can never be removed. They often do strange things, and can be good or bad, depending on luck. For example you may get a Blast Cannon that has % chance of causing frost on the target, but it also has % chance of causing a burn on your own ship when you fire it.

Why would I want that?
    Because experimental weapons are potentially very powerful (if you can put up with the drawbacks), and might be easier to acquire than things like legendaries.

How powerful are these weapons?
    That would depend on RNG, experimental weapons can spawn with anything from uncommon base damage to legendary (if you were extremely lucky). However, they might also have perks that add or subtract damage, so even if you draw a weapon with low base damage, it might still be good if it has some good perks attached (and vice versa).

How do I evolve these items?
    That will depend on RNG too. If you are lucky the item may have Epic base damage, but only require uncommon to evolve, if you are unlucky the reverse might be true.

How many perk slots do experimental items have?
    This will also depend on RNG. It might be 4 or it might be 0, or it might be 3 but they are all blocked by experimental perks.

What do I get if I scrap?
    Again it depends on what the weapon spawned with. The weapon itself might be garbage but give Epic Scrap.

How common would these items be?
    I would imagine they would be similar to Epics, though potentially easier to upgrade.

HELLRAZOR, noelips, _devill and 7 others like this.
  2. The Otherguy

The Otherguy Well-Known Member

Tech support
    Where do I get them?
    [
    your answer]

noelips and • Percy • like this.
  3. Mamamyers

Mamamyers Well-Known Member

Loser
    Let's all team up and make our own game lol f this

4. TheAntiSnipe

TheAntiSnipe Moon's haunted

Aye louv thes!

• Percy • likes this.
  5. Chewie0109

Chewie0109 New Member

There are a lot here that would need work on but the main one is when you get one of these weapons you can only use it for I dunno like 3 battles and then it brakes. Also you should have to save up keys or something that you can get from battles to open a special crate that gives you something,and when you scrap it all you get is some of these items back. That way you can’t be too overpowered with some NEXT weapon and just shrek everyone,also if you get a bad weapon you can still get something out of it.

ViscountSniffit likes this.
  6. EyeOfDoom

EyeOfDoom Well-Known Member

It's like... THE WABBAJACK!!

7. Joey who

Joey who Well-Known Member

Common
    Uncommon
    Rare
    Epic
    Legendary
    Mythical

8. ViscountSniffit

Well, the way I see it, while there would be some randomness, it wouldn’t be completely random. Each attribute would have its own distinct probability, and good attributes would have a high chance of being paired with bad attributes. So the chance of finding an experimental weapon that’s as good as a Legendary, would be about as difficult as finding a legendary.

The idea is not to unbalance the game, it’s just to add a quirky alternative class of weapons, that might be quite interesting.

I imagine ‘for the most part’ they will be an alternative to rares in the later game. Possibly an alternative if Epics if you find a really good one, and you’re able to put up with the negative effects for something your build really needs.

For example if you found a rare level shield that gives you an agility boost, at the cost of speed, then you might be willing to choose that over an Epic Shield, if you also have a decent turbo. You would lose some HP, but it might be worth it for the added agility, and the negative part you could offset. Such an item would be extremely rare though.

9. TheAntiSnipe

TheAntiSnipe Moon's haunted

Making experimentals breakable would take most of the fun out of using them, imo. You go, @ViscountSniffit !

10. NoTzHoNg

NoTzHoNg Active Member

Battle Bay Player
    Is this something similar to Terraria where you get RANDOM PERKED things like an enchanted boomerang from a chest?

11. ViscountSniffit

I haven’t played that, but I was thinking similar to the enchanted weapons in Diablo 3.

12. a_creeper_won

a_creeper_won Well-Known Member

Basement dweller
    I like this idea:
    Some ideas for “aspects” (That is what I will call the side effects)
    Positive:
    Debuff slinger: if you have a debuff your debuff will go into your shot and inflict the debuff on the unfortunate enemy
    Death shot: has a small chance of decreasing the enemies max HP to their current HP
    Healer: hit a teammate and 25% of the damage turns into HP
    Wave peircer: Shots pierce waves
    Negative effects:
    Reduced arc: Reduces the arc
    No auto lock: No auto lock for this weapon
    Knockback: Firing the weapon knocks you back

TheAntiSnipe likes this.
  13. ViscountSniffit

There are a lot of obvious ones too.

Bonus / reduction perks for:
    Attack
    Speed
    Hp
    Defence
    Agility
    Range
    Arc
    Crit chance
    Projectile speed
    Area
    Cooldown
    Slot point cost (experimental BC might cost 0-2 SP)

Chance for status effect on target (+) or on yourself (-)
    Stun
    Frost
    Fire
    Slow

Economy
    Better/worse scrap
    Cost to upgrade (sugar/gold)
    Cost to upgrade (duplicate rarity)

TheAntiSnipe likes this.
  14. wreck your day

wreck your day Well-Known Member

Enforcer! And future ultimate selfish fixer >:D
    If this idea really got implemented, our daily battles would become really WEIRD. Here's a little story I randomly thought of about what unlucky battle would look like:

(I am a speeder) "Yeah! This round my team has a fixer and they don't!" I switched on my overboost-that-leaves-a-frost-trail and went ahead of my team to scout. However, just as I was turning back, someone launched a frost-launcher-that-has-a-ring-of-fire at me! I quickly used my nitro-that-also-cloaks to get to safety. "Phew!" But just then, our stupid twice-as-large-as-he-should-be-defender crashed into a swift-torp-that-also-stuns and caused our whole team to be stunned! "Sigh..." I tried to distance myself from my team a bit so I wouldn't get splash-damaged by that blundering blue boat. But, out of the blue, an enemy enforcer that was sneaking up on us all along shot me with his explosive-cannonrade and finished me!

So, if this idea is really going to take flight, please allow the experimental weapons to be used only in custom battles or some form of a "zen mode".

StrictSalmon307 likes this.
  15. HELLRAZOR

HELLRAZOR Well-Known Member

1518229681247.png Wow, a Supercharger with 2 Perks !
    1518229531020.png Woohoo, a Toilet Brush & Set Me On Fire Perk !

PastelPiku likes this.
  16. StrictSalmon307

StrictSalmon307 Well-Known Member

Professional student
    Thinn Bihh likes this.
  17. HELLRAZOR

HELLRAZOR Well-Known Member

1518248967811.jpg This will be the new crew member. Lol

PastelPiku and a_creeper_won like this.
  18. Snapshot

Snapshot Well-Known Member

Yeah, but it's also about the only way I can think of to maintain any sort of balance.

TheAntiSnipe likes this.
  19. PastelPiku

PastelPiku Well-Known Member

Security
    Does the % perk mean the supercharger can "crit" and give a bonus to the speed boost or...
    And the toilet brush is far too op.