1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hey please check out our new forum Suggestions and Ideas found in the area "The Bay" - as we love all your ideas and want to collect them in one place, - please use it going forward. :) Thanks already for helping to make Battle Bay an even better experience. Remember: If your idea already exists - simply add your comment or like to an existing one so we avoid duplicates.
    Dismiss Notice

DevReply Question about infamy in conjuction with 50/50 win/lose ratio

Discussion in 'Game Discussion' started by d_p air, 29 Jan 2018.

1. d_p air

d_p air Member

Hi guys,

i have a question that stuck in my head for a long time.

You all know that pretty much every player in this game regardless his skill and experience has a win/lose ratio about 50/50. If for the win we would get exactly +24 infamy points and for lose exactly -24 then as result together with 50/50 ratio we will be always around 0 infamy. But the infamy points that we get after battle can vary quite much, like from 10 to 30. So that means that our entire progress in the game depends on this variation of points. I've tried to figure out how this amount is calculated. I've tried to connect it with amount of damage made or ships sinked or stars get, but it looks like this parameters have no influence at all. You can make penta with the highest damage and 3 stars and get +20 pts in one battle and make the lowest damage in the other but receive however +27 pts.

Can somebody enlighten me, how the points get/lost for a battle are calculated?

It is pretty interesting, because it looks like the whole progress in the game depends on this. And I'm also sure, that there is some calculation behind, because actually infamy points that are added or substracted are not integer values (like 17, 21, 30), there are values with floating point (like 17.3, 20.8, 29.7). And the last note: even players in one team after the same battle get not the same amount of infamy points.

Thanks!

2. Neptune_Gaming

Neptune_Gaming Well-Known Member

There once was a post about giving infamy to players depending on their performance but i dont see anything so......

3. d_p air

d_p air Member

yeah, but I don't suggest anything, like change infamy calculation algorithm and so. I'd like just know how it's done now, because as I wrote it's important, as it is the only source from where we are getting infamy

Last edited: 29 Jan 2018
    Neptune_Gaming likes this.
  4. Stelmo

Stelmo Well-Known Member

Im pretty sure it's about how 'easy' the matchup is, based solely on total infamy of each team.
    The greater the infamy difference between the teams, the greater the variance from +/- 24.
    If you win a tough match, you might get +27 and if you lose it you may only lose 17. Easier matches you gain less and lose more.

Of course it may all be part of some mad conspiracy to keep you at 50% while still increasing infamy, what do I know? ;)

Neptune_Gaming and d_p air like this.
  5. d_p air

d_p air Member

This is not mad conspiracy, it's a simple arithmetic :) Variance from +/-24 is the only way how infamy can be get in this game, since everybody have 50/50 win/lose ratio.

If it's true, that would mean that our progression in terms of infamy points depend completely on matchmaking. And our success and failure lies not even in our hands, but in some matchmaking algorithm Glicko 2 xD

6. JJf

JJf Member

This is really poor attempt to troll and doesn't deserve an answer but there you go:

No, everybody doesn't have 50/50 win/lose ratio. Problem solved!

Wow. That was easy.

7. d_p air

d_p air Member

Lol, don't you read the forums? No trolling there, I thought that this is a common known thing in BB, that was many times confirmed by the devs themselves, because this is how matchmaking is supposed to work. Just go to Battle bay and check by yourself

8. JJf

JJf Member

This is so lame. No-one believes you have really understood things like a four year old. Everybody doesn't have 50/50 win/lose ratio. Problem solved!

9. d_p air

d_p air Member

Ok, if you're so confident, check the players on the bay, make couple screenshots of people with at least 60/40 ratio. Don't take those OP players with maxed out epics and high level legendaries.

And actually you go way off-topic, because the question was, how infamy points gained/lost in a battle are calculated.

10. Miika

Miika Game Lead

It's not this complex. You gain infamy by winning more than losing. You might be forgetting draws from your calculations which means that even with 50% wins you have still more wins than loses.

Also, let's say your infamy is at 3000 after 10000 battles. 3000 infamy means you need 3000/24 = 125 more wins than loses. If there are no draws it means your needed WR is 5063/10000 = 50.6%.

If we take draws into account (I have for example 1.77% draw ratio) then the needed WR is only 49.7%.

11. OMTonyG

OMTonyG New Member

I believe 23 or 24 point infamy gains/losses means it was a equal match, according to matchmaking. If you win more than that, you were the underdog. If you lose more than that, you were the team with an advantage. As far as I know matchmaking only considers your infamy and what mk your ship is when making these calculations. Also worth noting is when you first play the game at very low infamy levels, you are playing bots. On the opposite end of things in Nightmare League, players get reset every 2 weeks. I would think the infamy reset every 2 weeks would increase the win/loss ratio of many of the top players. Hope that helps, cheers.

d_p air likes this.
  12. d_p air

d_p air Member

Thank you for reply. But let's take as example my profile:
    3710 infamy
    5524 battles
    2811 wins

So according to your calculations my infamy should be: (2811 * 2 - 5524) * 24 = 2352. But it's 3710, so I've got 3710 - 2352 = 1358 infamy points (more than third or 37%) from those variations after battle and it's still a lot. Unfortunately I couldn't include draws, because I don't have statistics for this, but they wouldn't make a big difference I think, draws happen very rare.

But as I see two members have already said, that the points depend on relation of my gear to gear of other players in battle. It makes sense I think

Last edited: 29 Jan 2018
  13. Miika

Miika Game Lead

You have 72 draws. They make a huge difference.

14. Garylizncu

Garylizncu New Member

The real question is for every match, it seems that winner will add the same amount of infamy with what the other side lose. Why the whole game player’s infamy inflated in general?

d_p air likes this.
  15. d_p air

d_p air Member

Wow, thank you for checking my profile and giving the info... to be honest it's a little bit scary, I hope there is no some black list of players that ask too much boring questions :)
    But it's all good, let's include draws in the calculation: so now the amount of losses is 5524 - (2811 + 72) = 2641.
    Assuming that for draws you get 0 infamy, the total infamy should be: (2811 - 2641) * 24 = 4080.
    And you're right, this makes really a huge difference, because now I've lost 4080 - 3710 = 370 infamy points due to variations after battle. So about 9% of the infamy is lost just because of them...
    Then I was wrong, that those variations is a source of our progression, but it looks like that on contrary, they slow down it. 370 points is not that much, but I hope that they don't have a trend to increase and the contribution of those points among the players is relative the same.

And just to check xD, yesterday you had:
    3975 infamy
    9108 battles
    4941 wins
    and you said about 1,77% draw ratio: 161 draws
    So it's 9108 - (4941 + 161) = 4006 losses and (4941 - 4006) * 24 = 22440 infamy??? Ok, it doesn't work for players that are a long time in the nightmare league as the infamy resets every season :)

16. Miika

Miika Game Lead

Heh no. I just had a bit of free time so decided to provide you some real data instead of just saying ”trust me” :)

I don’t have the data in front of me currently to confirm but there are probably multiple reasons for that. One is that draw is actually not 0, but +-1 depending on if you are were in the stronger or weaker team. Also, win is not actually integer 24, it’s just a decimal number somewhere close to that. If it’s for example 23.9, that difference accumulates over thousands of battles.

Yep, you guessed right! Nightmare reset messes that calculation up. :)

17. d_p air

d_p air Member

It's interesting to know that our infamy is not an integer value. I've guessed it in the first post :)
    And win is not always a value close to or equal 24, it can vary pretty much, as well as a substracted infamy after a loss:

Attached Files:

18. TTrain

TTrain Member

Awesome info! I've been wanting to know this since I started playing!!!

One thing that Ive noticed is that personally when I play solo the infamy gainined/lossed is usually +/-23, but when someone in the match is fleeting (either team) or if I myself am fleeting with someone, then the infamy gained/lossed is +/-24. Ths isn't the instance everytime, but it definitely happens the majority of the time. And it doesn't seem to matter if the fleeted partners are the same exact infamy or if their infamy difference a few hundred or more apart.

Just wondering if anyone else has noticed this, or am I just trying to make sense out of something that doesn't exist. :)

19. TTrain

TTrain Member

Mika (or anyone), is there a way to find/calculate out the amount of times our matches have ended in a draw, or a way to find out our draw ratio? Thank You!!!!

20. d_p air

d_p air Member

Unfortunately there is no way to find out the draw statistics for players by themselves.